International Bumpies

Ideas to get antibiotics down?

Dd has tonsillitis and we're only getting about half of each dose down cause she yells and spits it out
We've tried putting it in drinks, but she can taste it and refuses it
It's so stressful for all of us, and we 6 more days of this, any ideas??? I feel like we've tried everything :

Re: Ideas to get antibiotics down?

• You can get antibiotics flavored at the drug store. That's the only way ds takes anything!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They are tutti fruity flavour, she will admit afterwards that its yummy, I guess it's just a power struggle more than anything sigh
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAmericanInOz:
    They are tutti fruity flavour, she will admit afterwards that its yummy, I guess it's just a power struggle more than anything sigh

:-/ That's frustrating. DD hasn't hit her really defiant phase yet, but so far if we've needed her to take cough syrup, tylenol, etc, we've been able to put it in a syringe and hold it out. She figured out that it tastes good and then comes on her own and we squirt it into her cheek. I'm hoping that if we can continue with her coming to us, it won't become an issue (probably a false hope, but hey). If you figure out something that works, please post it as an update so the rest of us who don't know how we'll deal with it can take note!

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• usually when it comes to her pain killers she loves the taste of it - and will take the syringe from me and push it in herself

but her fever was SO high after it wore off, we had to alternate it with another type, and she didn't like the taste of that one (even though they are both strawberry.....) after that she refused to take ANY willingly (OMG so darn strong willed!!)

I have seriously tried everything - from bribery (offered her a jelly bean, she thought about it for awhile, then decided it wasn't worth it and said 'No, put it away'. I tried hiding it in milk, flavoring the milk with chocolate or banana flavor, taking crushed medicine and mixing it with honey. Seriously, nothing is working. She doesn't really have a taste for chocolate or candy as I so rarely give it to her (which I know is a good thing ... )

We are both dreading having to continue the 4 doses a day for another 6 days, we literlaly have to hold her down screaming, but what can you do? Sigh, can't wait for those 6 days to be over & done with,,,,,

thankfully at least she's feeling MUCH better now after 4 days of it, so so nice to see her acting like herself again today, she was SO sick :(

• My oldest DD is allergic to penicillin and amoxil so the horrid tasting meds are the only ones she can have. We used to get her to plug her nose (or we would plug it) and once she swallowed we would give her a juice chaser.

I am a pharmacy tech who specializes in compounding for kids and sometimes no amount of flavour can make those meds taste better...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yea look I've tasted this one and it's SUPER fruity, but not horrible

I think she's just traumatized by having to have it so often

anyhow, 5 more days and counting then we can put this behind us - for a long while I hope!! (knock on wood)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"