Pre-School and Daycare

Not staying dry at night @4 yrs?

DS1 is 4 and although we cut him off at dinner (around 6pm) and make him go potty right before bed, he seems to always wet the bed/his pull-up at least once a night.

When he does wear underwear to bed, he usually doesn't pee until at least 330am and it isn't much, sometimes not enough to reach his sheets, only soak is undies. Some days he is fine after that, others he might pee again right before getting up.

Is it still normal for him to be wearing pull-ups to bed/peeing the bed? I'm thinking his  bladder might not be mature enough yet OR he inherited the bed-wetting from my DH who was a bed wetter until 10 years old. Any advice helps :) TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
June 2010-April 2012: Lots of trying, chlomid, gonal-f, with triggers, without, IUI's and tons of BFNs
May2012: Letrozole + IUI = BFP!!!! Due 2/10/13

Re: Not staying dry at night @4 yrs?

• Totally normal.  It is developmental.  It is still within normal range to not overnight train till 5 or so.  I would just keep doing pull ups or underjams.   
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ditto pp; it's still within the normal range.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not out of the norm yet. 

My DD1 is 4.5 and is still night-training. She wasn't waking up dry, but brought up wanting to wear underwear at night herself and really wanted to (she's been day-trained since three). So I offered to wake her up when I go to bed so she can go to the bathroom.

We've been doing that for about a month now and she's dry 90% of the time as long as she gets that pee break. She still doesn't wake up on her own to go potty, but this is working and she's proud of herself, so we're sticking with it. 

The issue we run into is that we're at altitude and so sometimes she gets really thirsty at night (so do I, I keep a cup by my bedside) and can't sleep if she doesn't get a drink. So sometimes we do have an accident. I've been keeping the Goodnights disposable pads on her bed and those work well for helping keep the laundry from accidents to a minimum. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • DD1 is almost 6.5 years, and she's just started to stay dry at night. Two weeks ago she started waking up when she had to go to the bathroom. She's been dry at night ever since. Prior to that, she'd sleep through and wake up soaked in the morning. We had to switch from pull ups to goodnites last year because she'd leak through the pull ups. If we forgot one at night, she woke up with a soaking wet bed in the morning. I guess her bladder is just finally matured enough that she's ready to be dry at night. (FWIW, she was potty trained during the day at 2.5 years.)
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • This is not uncommon at all, especially if one parent also wet the bed.

My son wet the bed pretty consistently even after he was potty trained.  So did my DH.  When my son was 4 or 5, he wet the bed more nights than not.  At age 6, he seemed to go through longer stretches where he stayed dry at night and then hit a rough week where he'd wet the bed 3 or 4 times in a week.  Being overtired or off his normal schedule seemed to trigger these bedwetting streaks.

Then around age 7, things got even better.  He still occasionally wets the bed, but it's weeks of dry nights punctuated by one night of wetting, then back to weeks of dry.

My pediatrician (who is a mom of 4 boys and the practice expert in boy potty training and bedwetting) assured me that I would see a big drop-off in wet nights around age 8, and that between ages 10 and 12 this would naturally go away.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • My son is almost 4.5 and still wakes up soaking wet through a pull up. Just last week we tried going in undies for naptime and it took 2 slightly wet days and now he can stay dry for his 2 hour nap.

We also limit water after dinner, have him then go twice before bed, and often wake him up to go at night. His pedi said there is no way to rush it. 

GL!

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks everyone! I've been getting a lot of "well maybe you should do this or that" from family members lately and I was starting to feel like I was doing something wrong. 
    June 2010-April 2012: Lots of trying, chlomid, gonal-f, with triggers, without, IUI's and tons of BFNs
    May2012: Letrozole + IUI = BFP!!!! Due 2/10/13
  • DS will be 4 next month.  He wears a pull up to bed and is maybe dry 2-3 days a week.  He never wakes up to pee. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBrewtowngrl:
    Totally normal.  It is developmental.  It is still within normal range to not overnight train till 5 or so.  I would just keep doing pull ups or underjams.   
      I have a nephew who is now 18 who was around 9-10 before he night trained and an 8 year old niece who just trained in the last year.  Waking him at night, cutting off his liquids, etc is doing nothing to help him get trained.  It is nothing like day time - his body has to be ready and when its ready, it will happen regardless of what you do.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • FWIW, I wet the bed on and off until I was 10.  I know it frustrated the hell out of my parents.  They would often offer a reward if i didnt do it for a month straight. I never  earned the reward once. I wasn't allowed to drink anything after dinner and I wasn't allowed to go to bed until I used the bathroom.  I wasn't allowed to go to sleepovers because there seemed to be no pattern. I was just a really deep sleeper. I felt absolutely horrible about it and swore that I would never make a big deal about it with my own child. 

Pps gave perfect advice. Just keep doing what works for both of you.   As long as everything is physically normal, it's just something a child will grow out of when the body is ready.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• DS was 4y3m before he was night time trained. We tried stopping all liquids after dinner, making him go potty before bath and again before bed, and it didn't matter. He was wet every morning. I just let him sleep in a pull-up until he was dry every morning for several weeks.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageluckymom3:
    Thanks everyone! I've been getting a lot of "well maybe you should do this or that" from family members lately and I was starting to feel like I was doing something wrong. 
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • imageluckymom3:
    Thanks everyone! I've been getting a lot of "well maybe you should do this or that" from family members lately and I was starting to feel like I was doing something wrong. 
    P - 9/2008
    A - 8/2010
    L - 1/2013
    S - 3/2015
  • DD doesnt stay dry at night either, we put overnight pull ups on her. I just had this talk with the pediatrician and he said it is totally normal.  If there is any history of bedwetting in the family it is even more normal (pediatrician confirmed this).  You could always try waking him up at night to pee, for some of my friends kids this works.  I have decided I am just gonna wait it out a little longer with DD.  Bedwetting does run in our family too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"