April 2011 Moms
Options

Hitting? what can I do?

Hi! 

So my DD is hitting. a lot. At first I thought it was a daycare thing. She did it every so often when she was frustrated and/or tired.  Now it's like every time she gets upset or doesn't get what she wants she hits. Me, the dog, the table, the bath water.. it's getting out of control.  We moved about 2 weeks ago, so she now stays home with me, not that I would blame them anyway, but I know it's not a problem in her every day.  We don't spank.  Just not sure where she's getting it and why. I'm sure it's a toddler thing but does anyone have any good suggestions on how to break this?

Currently I take her arm or arms and hold them and look at her sternly and tell her that we do not hit.  My husband does the same. We'll also do "timeouts" (which just consist of me picking her up and holding her for about a minute or two so she can just "reset" and calm down).  It works in the moment but it's not really sinking in to her to stop.

Should I be worried or is this a phase? Thanks in advance! 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hitting? what can I do?

• Options

I would love to see what others have to say because my DD is doing the same thing. Last night when I was holding her hands and talking to her she started crying and didn't stop until she made herself throw up.

So far the little timeouts and holding her hands don't seem to be working because she is still hitting like crazy. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"