April 2013 Moms

CP: NN thoughts?

This is gonna sound really silly, but I have my A/S at 9 am tomorrow. I'm not big on the whole surprise sex party thing, so after we make sure that the people closest to us are told personally, I'll probably put an "It's a girl!" or "It's a boy!" post up on FB. We have our names picked out and haven't kept them a secret from our friends and family. I have a feeling that once people know what we're having and they start using the name we've picked out, they're going to start using whatever nicknames they think up. I'd like to have nn's picked out so that we can say something like "It's a girl! Meet Elisabeth Lee L******* (NN)!" or "It's a boy! Meet Bentley Christopher L****** (NN)!". I'm thinking that we're going to try to steer away from nicknames completely for Bentley because I'm not a fan of Ben. But with Elisabeth, there are a few possibilities. We can't really use the usual Liz or Lizzy because we're spelling it with an S. But, we could use Lissa, Beth, etc. I've thought about even using Elle or Ellie (which could be both because of the El of Elisabeth or because her initials will be ELL). Which do you like? Or, if not on the list, what other ideas do you have?
[Poll]

Elisabeth Lee "Ella"
Born April 14, 2013

Hey, pretty girl, it feels so right, 
Just like it's meant to be
All wrapped up in my arms so tight
Hey, pretty girl, it feels so right
Life's a long and winding ride
Better have the right one by your side
And happiness don't drag its feet
Time moves faster than you think

Re: CP: NN thoughts?

• imageNandaB:
    I dislike the whole concept of picking a nn before the kid is even born. Especially with so many options. Do you not like the name elisabeth? I think nicknames should 'happen' although, that being said I chose Gregory based on the fact that Greg was an acceptable nn. We call him Gregory because that's his name, but I am not opposed to Greg [or Gregy which is what other small kids often call him...Gregory is a mouthful for a 2 yr old] If you are determined to pick a nn now and encourage people on fb to call her that I would say 'its a girl! Introducing Elisabeth ___. We are very excited to meet little Ellie/Betty/Beth!'

My family is all about nn's. I know that if I don't pick one and encourage it to be used, they'll pick one of their own. I have a baby cousin named Kadence. Her mom's plan was to call her Kady, but someone decided to call her KK and now that's all anyone calls her, even though her mom hates it. I just want a little control over it. 

Elisabeth Lee "Ella"
    Born April 14, 2013

Hey, pretty girl, it feels so right, 
    Just like it's meant to be
    All wrapped up in my arms so tight
    Hey, pretty girl, it feels so right
    Life's a long and winding ride
    Better have the right one by your side
    And happiness don't drag its feet
    Time moves faster than you think
  • Okay, I will give and post my name (lol). I'm Elizabeth and I've always gone by Libby (except in formal/professional situations). I've always liked that my full name is a good grown up name and my NN is more fun.

Mommy to four +1, EDD November 9th!

Come visit my new blog @ sixpickhappy.wordpress.com!

• Loading the player...
  • i cant vote for this - NM happen once you know the child and what comes out naturally.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • I love Ellie:]
    BFP #1: 5-14-2010, DD born 1-22-2011
    BFP #2: 4-20-2012, Natural MC 5-1-2012
    BFP #3: 7-19-2012, DS born 3-27-2013
    BFP #4: 9-13-2014, MMC discovered 10-27-14 at 10w, d&c on 11-6-14 

• My sister is Elizabeth. My parents tried to make her nickname Betsy in honor of my grandmother. She became Liz.

i agree with PPs that nicknames usually just happen. 

Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I really prefer Liz/Lizzy to any of the other options, and I don't think the spelling "prevents" you from using it. 

FWIW, my DD's nickname is booger, but she has a lot more (M'elle and Mar and Ellie and Mar-Mar and Mayor and Marie-lee). I was firm that "Mary" would never be her NN, ever. I agree that NNs just happen. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I like Libby!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I chose "other," because I like Ella!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I picked "other" because I REALLY like Betsy as a nn for Elisabeth.  I think that of the ones you've offered, I would pick Lissa, but the "Other" was just too tempting.  Betsy is adorable, IMO.
  • I voted for Ellie, but in reality, people WILL pick a nickname and one you don't like may stick. My name is Elizabeth and my mom gave me the middle name Andrea in hopes of nick-naming me Beth-Ann (ick!) Well, I wound up being a Biz, not because of my first name at all, but because my grandfather used to call me "Busy Bear" and THAT got shortened to Biz.

I've always hated any shortenings of Elizabeth. My friends and family call me Biz, but professionally, I always insist on being called by my full name.

I have a feeling people are going to wind up calling her Liz or Lizzie (my personal least favorite shortening of Elizabeth) anyway, regardless of the "S." 

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I voted but I'm also in the camp of not necessarily choosing a nick name right away unless that's the reason you chose the name in the first place. My daughter's name is Zoe (not a whole lot of options there) but we've called her about a million and three different nick names in her short 20 months of living. 
  • Here's the thing...you may think you like a nn before baby comes, but somehow, baby changes it. I told everyone the DS nn would be DJ. His Name is Donald James and i thought DJ would fit a baby better and i despise Don/donny/donnie. Well, i hate hate hate it, when people call him DJ. He doesn't go by a nn at all. It's Donald. I don't care if people hate his name. And many have made their thoughts on his name clear. But he is Donald. So, don't try to label your kid with a nn before you meet them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"