2nd Trimester

Another weight gain post...

I feel like most of the weight gaining posts on here people just talk about losing weight or only gaining a 1 or 2 lbs at 20 weeks....Anyone here acutally gain some weight, like me?! I'm up about 10-12 lbs at 19 weeks and I've only gained since I've been pregnant, haven't lost a thing!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Another weight gain post...

• i have never weighed myself once since being pregnant (or even before that really). I had to give a "guesstimate" when I first met my midwife, but that's it. I do know I have gained because none of my clothes fit.
    TTC since May 2012; BFP July 31st, 2012; EDD April 13th, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Anniversary
  • I'm right there with you, up about 10 lbs at 18 weeks and just keep eating. During first tri, I felt sick anytime my stomach was empty so I basically ate nonstop. Now I'm starving all the time!
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, I think the only reason it seems that way is because it is easier to be more vocal about not gaining that much weight as opposed to admitting you've gained alot of weight. Don't worry there are plenty of women who have; you are not alone. Also, I'm getting kind of tired of the "I've only gained 1 lb and I'm 20 weeks - is that normal??" posts. Well, based on the facts that several other women have asked that same question and the answer never changes and if you're doctor isn't concerned, then yes its normal. Its kind of like the "I don't feel any symptoms" posts during the 1st trimester while the rest of us are hovering over the toilet. Again, if your doctor hasn't said anything about it, then yes, its normal!

I'm sorry I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm obviously very cranky today. In fact, I wish I was one of those women who haven't gained any weight. I'll admit it; I'm jealous! I'm 16 weeks and I've gained 6 lbs. I gained a total of 70 lbs with my first baby (yes, you read that correctly) but that was mainly because I really thought you were supposed to eat for 2 (or 3 or 4). But, this time around, I'm actually trying to be healthy and I'm still gaining weight. I've decided, it is what it is. I'm  going to keep eating healthy and enjoy my pregnancy. If I gain weight; great. I lost it the first time around and I'm positive I'll lose it again.

That is all. Sorry for ranting!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagevaness1229:

Honestly, I think the only reason it seems that way is because it is easier to be more vocal about not gaining that much weight as opposed to admitting you've gained alot of weight. Don't worry there are plenty of women who have; you are not alone. Also, I'm getting kind of tired of the "I've only gained 1 lb and I'm 20 weeks - is that normal??" posts. Well, based on the facts that several other women have asked that same question and the answer never changes and if you're doctor isn't concerned, then yes its normal. Its kind of like the "I don't feel any symptoms" posts during the 1st trimester while the rest of us are hovering over the toilet. Again, if your doctor hasn't said anything about it, then yes, its normal!

I'm sorry I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm obviously very cranky today. In fact, I wish I was one of those women who haven't gained any weight. I'll admit it; I'm jealous! I'm 16 weeks and I've gained 6 lbs. I gained a total of 70 lbs with my first baby (yes, you read that correctly) but that was mainly because I really thought you were supposed to eat for 2 (or 3 or 4). But, this time around, I'm actually trying to be healthy and I'm still gaining weight. I've decided, it is what it is. I'm  going to keep eating healthy and enjoy my pregnancy. If I gain weight; great. I lost it the first time around and I'm positive I'll lose it again.

LOL...love this post! Oh yes, I forgot to mention in my OP that I gained 68lbs with DD 1. :) I did lose it all as well and my weight gain does seem to be slower this time around, but I'm gaining steady and it keeps going up!

• imageErikajojo23:

Anyone here acutally gain some weight, like me?! I'm up about 10-12 lbs at 19 weeks and I've only gained since I've been pregnant, haven't lost a thing!

Me! :)
    I was about 117 lbs before pregnancy & am now 132lbs. I'm convinced it's all in my boobs.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm up 10 lbs at 19 weeks and am actually super ecstatic about that weight gain. This is the least amount I'm gained at this point. I'm in line to gain 30-35 lbs total, which I would be very happy with. With DD1 and DD2 I was up probably 20 lbs by now and gained 60 lbs total.

I've been working out 3-4 days a week and eating much healthier this time. Even with all that effort, I still gain weight. My body just responds to hormonal changes with weight gain. Even when I was back on the BCP, I gained 5 lbs that I couldn't lose until I went off the pill. While bfing my body hangs onto 5 lbs of extra weight. That's just how it is for me.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imagevaness1229:

Honestly, I think the only reason it seems that way is because it is easier to be more vocal about not gaining that much weight as opposed to admitting you've gained alot of weight. Don't worry there are plenty of women who have; you are not alone. Also, I'm getting kind of tired of the "I've only gained 1 lb and I'm 20 weeks - is that normal??" posts. Well, based on the facts that several other women have asked that same question and the answer never changes and if you're doctor isn't concerned, then yes its normal. Its kind of like the "I don't feel any symptoms" posts during the 1st trimester while the rest of us are hovering over the toilet. Again, if your doctor hasn't said anything about it, then yes, its normal!

Thank you! I was going to post something like this in the Unpopular Opinions post, but I figured I got their too late anyway.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I was "overweight" pre-pregnancy and have gained almost 7 lbs at 18 weeks.  I think that might be just about right.  If I was under weight or normal before pregnancy, I think my number would be a little low.  Here is a good calculator to see if you are on track!

https://www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html

• imageAngela814:

Thank you! I was going to post something like this in the Unpopular Opinions post, but I figured I got their too late anyway.

Where is this "Unpopular Opinions" post you speak of? It sounds like my kind of post...

Zip it! 

• At my original appointment with my primary doctor, when they confirmed the pregnancy before referring me to an OB - they said I weighed 128. Yesterday I went for some other issue and I was up to 135. I'm 20 weeks today.

At my OB though, I think they had me at 126 at my initial appointment and at my 16 week appointment I was at 130.  

• I had gained 12 pounds at 20 weeks. I also have just steadily gained. I think pregnancy weight gain depends on so many factors and everyone is different. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I always think the same thing about the weight gain posts! But I think that a lot of the people who say they're down 10 or 15 lbs must have been slightly overweight to start with. I've known a lot of pregnant women and there's just no way that weight loss during pregnancy it's as common as it seems on here (at least after the first trimester). I'm 17 weeks and up 8 lbs. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes - I'm up about 12 pounds at 22 weeks, and also tired of the 1-2 pound posts.  It seems like a lot when I look at the scale, but think I'm about on track.. or at the high end of being on track.  Wondering how the second half will go!  At least now that morning sickness is mostly gone I'm not dependent on a steady supply of bread & bagels to keep me upright.

For those who gained a lot during previous pregnancies - did it all come on gradually?  Was there a certain time period where you gained more? 

BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagevaness1229:
    Honestly, I think the only reason it seems that way is because it is easier tonbsp;be more vocal about not gaining that much weight as opposed tonbsp;admitting you've gained alot ofnbsp;weight. Don't worry there are plenty of women who have; you are not alone. Also, I'm getting kind of tired of the "I've only gained 1 lb and I'm 20 weeks is that normal??" posts.nbsp;Well, based on the facts that several other women have asked that same question and the answer never changes and if you're doctor isn't concerned, then yes its normal. Its kind of like the "I don't feelnbsp;any symptoms" posts during the 1st trimester while the rest of us are hovering over the toilet. Again, if your doctor hasn't said anything about it, then yes, its normal!
    I'm sorry I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm obviously very cranky today. In fact, I wish I was one of those women who haven't gained any weight. I'll admit it; I'm jealous! I'm 16 weeks and I've gained 6 lbs. I gained a total of 70 lbs with my first baby yes, you read that correctly but that was mainly becausenbsp;I really thought you were supposed to eat for 2 or 3 or 4. But, this time around, I'm actually trying to be healthy and I'm still gaining weight. I've decided, it is what it is. I'mnbsp; going to keep eating healthy and enjoy my pregnancy. If I gain weight; great. I lost it the first time around and I'm positive I'll lose it again.
    nbsp;That is all. Sorry for ranting!

6 lbs isn't bad : hope you can keep it low this time. Ive been eating like a horse at night for the last week and am getting worried about my self discipline.
  • imageCalifornia Blonde 1984:
    I always think the same thing about the weight gain posts! But I think that a lot of the people who say they're down 10 or 15 lbs must have been slightly overweight to start with. I've known a lot of pregnant women and there's just no way that weight loss during pregnancy it's as common as it seems on herenbsp;at least after the first trimester. I'm 17 weeks and up 8 lbs.nbsp;nbsp;

I was 128, 5'6, and lost 10 lbs before starting to gain it back 2 weeks ago. I think those of us that are worried about the loss I was but didn't post worry because if we are still losing we may not be getting enough calories. I know baby is fine, but the toll on my body may not be good. I see a lot of these posts and think it important to mention that if you are still losing in the second tri, your body may not be getting enough nutrition, which may cause problems for you later on maybe this wouldn't count if you started out overweight due to too high calorie intake and have cut back, I dunno.
  • imageHappylove27:
    At my 24 week appointment I was up 24 lbs!

Thanks for keeping it real.  I was up 21 at my 22 week appointment and frankly, I am completely fine with it!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageErikajojo23:
    imagevaness1229:

LOL...love this post! Oh yes, I forgot to mention in my OP that I gained 68lbs with DD 1. :) I did lose it all as well and my weight gain does seem to be slower this time around, but I'm gaining steady and it keeps going up!

Love both these posts!! I've gained 28 lbs and am 26 wks. My doctor has no concern..and neither do I! I don't "eat for two" I just eat more often because I'm hungry. I don't stuff my face with junk food so really what's the big deal? Healthy weight gain - healthy baby...so I'm bigger than I've ever been and going to get bigger for 14 more weeks, such is life. haha.

Also...do you find the whole "I've only gained 3 lbs, is that normal?" thing is almost as annoying as the girls who are like "Oh you don't even know how hard it is to find size 2 jeans!" lol

• imageRussianMommy:
    i have never weighed myself once since being pregnant (or even before that really). I had to give a "guesstimate" when I first met my midwife, but that's it. I do know I have gained because none of my clothes fit.

you don't get weighed at all your dr. Appointments?????? O.o

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've gained 15lbs at my 20wk appt. I feel huge and I'm starting to waddle. :)
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie - (YMDN)

• I've definitely gained.  I stopped going to the gym when I found out I was pg and after my last appointment I started going back every weekday.  Halloween candy didn't help either, admittedly.  I feel as if I continue to go to the gym and not eat 17 pieces of Halloween candy a day, I should be able to keep the weight gain in check a little.

However, my body is going to do what it wants and what it needs for the pregnancy.  I started showing super early and my boobs have been enormous.  That had nothing to do with any change in eating habits - that is just what my body decided to do.  There's only so much I can change/help.

Married to SAJ since 8/6/11
    BFP #1: 1/23/12 mc: 2/19/12
    BFP #2: 6/20/12 
    Oliver Stephen born 3/7/13 :)
    BFP #3: 10/22/13

• i'm 17-18 lbs gained at 24 weeks.  I can understand some of their concerns (I would be a little concerned if I was FTM and I wasn't gaining ANY WEIGHT....i would worry about the babies growth) but yes I sometimes feel like people are bragging about the weight gain.

The ones I really don't like are the one's that are like "Oh, i watched what I ate and walked 3-4x a week, and I kept my weight gain to 16-20 lbs my entire pregnancy!!" like you had more of a say than what your body was naturally going to do anyways. Sure, there are some women who gain a lot due to eating habits. But at this point, I just have accepted that my body IS going to gain weight,  and it's going to gain it where it wants too-belly, boobs, butt.  Your body is gaining weight because it needs too, because it's trying to support your baby. that;s good! 

I also agree with PP....I think smaller individuals or those who were on the lower end of the BMI will typically gain more  (not always) and those who were over weight will not . The BMI is based on our standards now of what is healthy, not necessarily what is healthy for our bodies to grow children.  for all we know, those of us who had a low BMI (but still "healthy) could technically be biologically underweight, and our body is trying to gain extra mass to support the baby. 

i could just be spouting a bunch of BS, but the moral of this rambling post is that you aren't the only one, a lot of us are gaining weight, a lot of us didn't loose weight in the beginning, and a lot of us are making healthy choices for our babies despite the weight gain.  and (God willing) we will all have healthy babies-weight gain or not. 

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • As someone who doesn't gain much weight with pregnancy (apparently) , I'll just throw it out there that some of us are that way because we're still hovered over the toilet pretty often.  It's not always as rosy as it seems it might be.  And it's not always by choice.

Honestly, DS was under just 7 lbs which doesn't sound that small but our families have big babies and he was very long, so he was skinny looking.  By his 6 month appointment he had jumped from a very low weight percentile to a much higher one and has always been a tall, solid kid every since.  I looked into it and found studies showing mothers that gain under 20 lbs during their pregnancies increase the chances of their LO's being lower birth weight.  This made me feel extremely guilty (not that I could do much seeing that I was trying to eat and gain weight) and I still feel bad that I'm not gaining with this pregnancy.  I'd much rather be able to say I've gained 10 lbs or so by now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"