Pre-School and Daycare
Options

Obession

DS1 is obsessed with his clothes.  He only wants to wear particular clothes, shorts especially and has melt downs when we make him wear pants.  Sometimes it takes us 20+ min longer to leave the house because of this.  I am getting to the point I just want to put away shorts and short sleeves so he won't freak out.  But other times I think perhaps this is his way of having control in his life and just let him wear what he wants unless it's freezing out, which is starting to happen.  He is allowed to wear shorts in the house.  

Any thoughts on this?  Is it something I should worry about that he gets so upset about his clothing? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Obession

• Options
    We had this issue last year. When it got cold I packed away all the shorts. I also told her she couldn't play outside unless she wore pants.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Congrats and brace yourself; you have a (nearly) 3-year-old.  If it were me, I would go buy some longjohns and tell him he must wear them if he wants to wear shorts and let him dress himself.  And maybe plan to be late a few mornings.  In the summer I actually carried one out to the car in underwear because she wouldn't get dressed.  By the time we arrived she decided to quietly and quickly get dressed.

Getting dressed is one of few truly non-negotiables.  He knows you HAVE to be dressed, but it is an area that I'm sure he's had some control over- (this shirt or that?) so that's a big deal.  To have power in something that is so big in the grand scheme.... huge.

I would give complete control and let LO suffer the consequence of being late or missing out on something fun bc he wouldn't dress.  OR I would set the timer for 30 minutes to dress and then take him to the car as is and dress him on arrival. Or not let him eat breakfast until he's dressed.  If he takes too long and you're running late give him a simple finger food breakfast he can eat in the car. I think arguing and pleading and negotiating with a child experiencing the threes is bound to amuse him and make you insane!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My younger DD went through a phase around the time she was 2 1/2 until sometime after she turned 3 where she would only wear black leggings.  Made getting her dressed super easy!  I have never had an issue with what my kids wear, regardless of how unmatched it looks, unless it is not weather OK.  I put away (out of sight either high in the closet or in storage) anything that is not OK for the time of the year.  In your case, any shorts would be put away since its too cold to wear them and then get some PJ's shorts for him to wear at home for sleeping only.  I would also get into the habit of letting him help pick out his clothes the night before.  It saves time in the morning when you are getting him ready as you have already let him pick out his clothes.  It may take a few days of tantrums at first when his fav things are not there but you also need to keep him dressed for the weather within reason.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Options
    Pack up the clothing that you no longer want him to wear, help him go through his clothes the night before and if he throws a fit the next morning over his clothes, get him dress like a baby( kicking and screaming if it come to that).  My DD would do this sometimes if we did not prepick her clothes, so yes I would lay her down at the age of 4 or 5 and dress her like an infant. Yes she would scream and kick, but she would get dressed and sooner or later she would calm down.  So from now on we pick out our clothes the night before.  GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    meh - I let DD pick what she wants - and bring extras as needed.  She's figured out its cold wearing a dress in 50 degree weather with no tights/leggings.  She's not going to freeze to death and its a good lesson. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"