C-sections

Tell me about the Bladder Catheter

I'm likely to have a c/s with my twins and I'm not too worried about having surgery because I did have gallbladder surgery before.  But after reading about the c/s procedure I got scared about the bladder catheter.  Moms who have already had a c/s, what was your experience?  Any issues with it?

Re: Tell me about the Bladder Catheter

• What are you worried about? Putting it in? having it in? taking it out? I didn't notice them put it in, must have been after the spinal. Having it in was great when I couldn't move after the surgery. Taking it out was about 3 seconds of discomfort.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Putting it in the first time is NBD because you should have your spinal or epi first. Getting it out was also NBD, at least for me. No pain or whatever. 

That being said, my dr. wanted me up and moving around 8 hours post-op, so my catheter was removed at this point. I had to pee within 6 hours or they would re-cath me. I was unable to pee for 6 hours (weirdest feeling - I felt like I HAD to pee, but literally couldn't). They tried to put the catheter back, I screamed and cried in pain (SO SO PAINFUL!), and eventually was able to pee after 7 hours. From talking to people, if you wait 12-24 hours after surgery, you probably won't have problems peeing and won't have to worry about the possibility of having another catheter. 

DS1 : 10/2012
    Due with B/G Twins July 2015
  • Loading the player...
  • No big deal. It did fall out right after they stitched me up. They kept trying to put it back in, but couldn't figure out why there was no urine and the Nurse Anesthetist said, "Uh, her bladder is empty since she's had that in for a while." LOL. 

It felt weird coming out and it took a few hours before I had the urge to pee. But, other than that it was the least upsetting part of the procedure. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• No issues for me at all.  Didn't feel it going in or coming out.  It took me awhile to pee without it though.  I felt the urge but it was hard to get out.  But I don't know if that was from the cath or the spinal.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • NO issues...only wish I drank more water while it was in then after when I had to get up to go the bathroom :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's nothing to worry about, they put it in after the spinal and I didn't feel it.  They took it out later that night (DD was born at 12pm) and wasn't an issue - didn't really feel anything.  The bigger issue was making sure you drank enough fluids and peed enough that night afterwards to avoid them putting it back in!  That terrified me so I increased my fluids and didn't need it put back in...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My catheter was placed after my spinal, so I didn't feel that at all.  Due to the anesthesia, I vomited before and after the surgery.  I had to keep the catheter in until the next morning, so my OB could make sure that I wasn't getting dehydrated.  Since I wasn't supposed to take a shower because of the catheter, a nurse helped me clean up.  The catheter made the cleaning up process a little awkward, but it never hurt.  A nurse removed the catheter the next morning.  I felt it coming out, but it didn't hurt. 

I've had other procedures for which I had catheters inserted.  I felt a burning when they were inserted, but they didn't really hurt.     

• imageRayRay007:
    What are you worried about? Putting it in? having it in? taking it out? I didn't notice them put it in, must have been after the spinal. Having it in was great when I couldn't move after the surgery. Taking it out was about 3 seconds of discomfort.

this except no discomfort from removing it. Why are you worried? They put it in after they numb you. 

• Thanks for the replies and tips about drinking!  As long as I'm numbed I guess it will be fine, but it sounds awful if it has to be reinserted!  I'm just afraid of infections and pain in that area.  After my gallbladder surgery I had trouble peeing too and I think they said it might due to the anasthetic (I didn't have a catheter then but they told if I continued to have trouble I might have to get one in). 

• Putting it in and taking it out was fine. I had it in for 48hrs which is standard procedure here in Spain I think.

However about  a week PP I ended up in hospital in absolute agony with some serious after pains which I had no idea I wld have. The contractions had me terrified as they felt just like the ones I had during labour and i was convinced something had ruptured internally.

During all the tests I had they found out I also had a serious UTI  from the catheter. Was such a downer as i had to take antibiotics and the ones the gave me meant I had to stop breastfeeding just as had finally got a handle on it.

I don?t know how common it is to get a UTI from the catheter but it?s prolly worth  keeping  an eye out for one JIC. I left it far too long as I thought the burning and pain when I had to pee was normal after having one in.

Such a clueless FTM!

• didnt feel it go in or out--no issues at all
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I am a nurse and have put in a lot of urinary catheters and the risk of UTI is pretty low. It is a sterile procedure, that way we try to minimize infection.

That being said, I was nervous, too! It was placed while I was in labor, after my epi, and there was no issue.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• The first 3 times it was placed BEFORE my spinal. Not a big deal. Just a bit uncomfortable. This last time it was done after my spinal.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • This was the worst part of my c-sections, both times.  Putting it in is uncomfortable and getting it out is awful.  The first time I had it taken out I was in bed and the second time the nurse made me do it over the toilet -- laying in bed is a lot better if you can do it that way.  I got a UTI after my first c-section so that was really uncomfortable.  After my second I felt like I couldn't void my urine after it was out.  I just have issues with catheters.  I can pee fine now, but that was the most challenging aspect of an otherwise totally easy recovery. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine was put in before my spinal.  They put the cath in in my room, and I got the spinal in the OR.  It was slightly uncomfortable when it was put in, but overall not too bad.  Compared to pit contractions the cath was NOTHING!
    my read shelf:
    Erika's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Oct Angel Babies Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This was my biggest fear about c/s and it was not big deal, coming in or going out. I just made a huge deal of it, so if you can relax there is literally no pain, barely any discomfort. Just take deep breaths.
  • I had a catheter put in without a spinal or epidural. It stung almost like when you pee with a bladder infection, but it only lasted a few seconds. After that, it was barely noticeable and not having to move after a c-section was a blessing. When they removed the catheter, it was painless. On the agonizing walk to the bathroom, I actually missed it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageRayRay007:
    What are you worried about? Putting it in? having it in? taking it out? I didn't notice them put it in, must have been after the spinal. Having it in was great when I couldn't move after the surgery. Taking it out was about 3 seconds of discomfort.

This.
    Blog
    BFP #1 2-8-09 Natural M/C 6w1d 2-19-09
    BFP #2 5-28-09 C/P 6-1-09
    BFP #3 10-30-10 Natural M/C 12-8-10
    BFP #4 1-16-12 EDD 9-18-12 Stick baby stick!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't worry about the catheter!  It takes 2 seconds to put in--yes, you can feel it go in, but they do it so fast and it doesn't hurt.  Once it's in, you don't even notice!  When they take it out, it's the same thing-  so fast you won't notice!  I was sad when they took it out though...I didn't like needing to get out of bed to pee!  :) 
  • Catheter is so easy and painless but the peeing after is sometimes a challenge. I highly suggest asking for (or bringing with you!) peppermint oil. If you can't pee, put some in the hat on the toilet and smell it and I guarantee you will eventually go. It has helped me both c/s. GL!
    6 & 2 year old, 2 losses
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"