Snarky and T-TTC

Good Morning!

Yay for the weekend getting closer!

Are you guys thinking about Thanksgiving already? Do you cook the whole meal or just a side dish?

We do just sides. This year I'm bringing pecan pie, sweet potatoes and homemade cranberry sauce.

Hard to believe this year is coming to an end.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Good Morning!

• Good Morning! I too am glad the weekend is almost here, and that I'll get to spend it in my own house :)   I have thought about turkey day, being that is only three weeks away! Crazy. Anyway, we are with my ILs. I bring a sweet potato casserole. They never had sweet potatoes till I started bringing them. I've never cooked the whole meal. Is that bad? Haha. I don't know how good I'd do.
    TTC #1 Dx: severe MFI
    IVF with ICSI #1: BFP
    TESE for DH 08/09/09
    ER 08/09/09; ET 08/14/09; Beta #1 08/23/09: 150; Beta #2 08/25/09: 267
    TTC #2: FET #1: BFP
    ET 06/16/11; Beta #1 06/25/11: 282; Beta #2 06/27/11: 777
    First u/s: Twins! Baby A stopped growing @ 9 weeks, forever in our hearts
    TTC #3: FET #2: c/p lost at 4 weeks
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I've never cooked the whole meal either! Sounds stressful!! My dad was always very insistent on cooking the whole meal, which was fine with me :]
    Last year was the first year I even contributed side dishes!
  • Loading the player...
  • Morning! I'm not sure what we'll bring for Thanksgiving yet. My Mom always tries to do it all herself and tells us not to bring anything. We usually end up doing these really yummy mashed potatoes and Watergate Salad.
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Morning! How did the East Coasters fare with the nor'easter? We got a few inches of disgustingly heavy snow. I'm very thankful I live in an apartment and don't have to shovel it! Power has been off and on again, but it's currently on so that's good. 

We do T-day at ILs. They always make so much food that I feel guilty bringing a side, but I always want this green bean casserole that my mom makes (not the frenches crispy onion one), so I bring that. 

I did the whole shebang two years ago, and it wasn't that difficult. It's all just timing, really. And space - if you have a tiny kitchen you need to get creative with prep space. I'm hoping we can host Christmas this year, but we'll see. 
  • Oh, and if you want the recipe for green beans, here it is. I make it from memory, so measurements are a guess. It's very basic, you can't really screw it up. 

Base: 
    2+ cans of green beans, rinsed and drained. 
    1-3 Tbs of dehydrated onions
    2-4 Tbs of oil
    1-2 Tbs of red wine vinegar
    1-3 Tsp minced garlic (I use the jarred kind and totally guess on amount)

Mix that all together in a casserole dish. 2 cans makes a nice side, but if you have a large family, increase as necessary. The oil /vinegar combo is 2:1, and it's just to make everything wet, plus a little to pool in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle liberally with onions and garlic to taste.

Topping:

1 C Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
    1/2 C grated Parmesean
    4 Tbs butter, melted

Mix this all together until it has a nice crumbly texture. Add more dry ingredients if it's too wet, more melted butter if it's too dry. Some years I have someone who doesn't like a strong cheese taste, so I increase the breadcrumbs. Other years I want it a little cheesier, so I increase the Parm. Whatever works. 

Bake: 
    Spread topping over beans, bake at whatever the oven is set for already until topping is a little crunchy and beans are warmed through. 
    Enjoy!
  • imageExcitedtostart:
    Morning! How did the East Coasters fare with the nor'easter? We got a few inches of disgustingly heavy snow. I'm very thankful I live in an apartment and don't have to shovel it! Power has been off and on again, but it's currently on so that's good. 

We do T-day at ILs. They always make so much food that I feel guilty bringing a side, but I always want this green bean casserole that my mom makes (not the frenches crispy onion one), so I bring that. 

I did the whole shebang two years ago, and it wasn't that difficult. It's all just timing, really. And space - if you have a tiny kitchen you need to get creative with prep space. I'm hoping we can host Christmas this year, but we'll see. 

We luckily only got about two inches of wet snow. I think I would've lost my mind if we lost power again.

TTC #1 Dx: severe MFI
    IVF with ICSI #1: BFP
    TESE for DH 08/09/09
    ER 08/09/09; ET 08/14/09; Beta #1 08/23/09: 150; Beta #2 08/25/09: 267
    TTC #2: FET #1: BFP
    ET 06/16/11; Beta #1 06/25/11: 282; Beta #2 06/27/11: 777
    First u/s: Twins! Baby A stopped growing @ 9 weeks, forever in our hearts
    TTC #3: FET #2: c/p lost at 4 weeks
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards