Houston Babies
Options

Speech Therapy

hi ladies,

My Dr. reccomended speech therapy for my non-talking 13.5 month old.

Has anyone done this? 

Re: Speech Therapy

• Options

Go through ECI  https://www.ecikeeppace.org/

They will evaluate your child and see if your child qualifies for services.  

I would definitely go this route first because MANY insurance companies will only cover speech therapy if there is an underlying medical issue like down syndrome or autism and even then sometimes people have to fight their insurance companies or pay out of pocket for services.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options

Thanks for the info.

There doesnt appear to be any underlying issue at this point, except the talking.

I'll chat with my Dr. at the next visit.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I actually just did the evaluation with ECI for my 21 month old on my own initiative.  You can just call yourself and/or ask your doctor to refer you.  The evaluation is free, and they test the child in all areas of development.  If there is a significant delay (25% or greater) you can qualify for services.  The cost of services is on a sliding scale according to your income and they will bill your insurance first.

It's really a great service; we used it in another state for my son's delayed gross motor development (slow to crawl, stand, and walk) and I have only good things to say.  They came to my house for therapy.  In PA, it was completely state-funded.  And it is totally driven by parents... they will not push anything on you or make decisions on behalf of you or your child. 

BTW, turns out my son's speech delay is SO minor he doesn't qualify for services.  The speech therapist gave me some advice on things to work on at home.  It's good to have a professional do in-depth testing and come away with peace of mind.

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"