October 2011 Moms

Major Quandary...need your thoughts on this topic (NBR)

So...today I am reviewing applicants/applications for a position I posted and I find out that the wife of an employee applied. The employee is in a job position that makes him one of the least liked people around here since he has the power to make your life hell. The wife, if hired, would be a potential mole in our organization. She is very well qualified for the position...actually very over-qualified...so her application makes the others look like trash. WWYD?? 
image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Major Quandary...need your thoughts on this topic (NBR)

• That is tough. Are there other qualified applicants? I would select a few and do an in-person interview. Maybe someone whose resume isn't great will interview very well and maybe her interview skills are terrible. That would at least justify hiring someone else that doesn't look as good on paper.
  • Bring her in for an interview. It is only fair if she's qualified but you don't have to hire her, if she isn't the best after that round.

You can probably find an HR friendly way to ask her about how/if her relationship will affect her work.

• Loading the player...
  • Hire her and become her best friend.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageblu-eyedwife:
    Hire her and become her best friend.

ding ding ding!!

seriously, interview her. if you really feel like she's the best fit for the job hire her.  

• Sounds like even though she is qualified, her hiring would create a weird dynamic in the group and maybe even lead to some concerns of nepotism and favoritism. I've worked in several lab environments and I  feel that I would avoid a situation that potentially divides a group and fosters distrust and drama.  I would rather find someone less qualified provided they are smart and work well with others and teach them the necessary skills.    
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageellewoodsSC:
    Sounds like even though she is qualified, her hiring would create a weird dynamic in the group and maybe even lead to some concerns of nepotism and favoritism. I've worked in several lab environments and I  feel that I would avoid a situation that potentially divides a group and fosters distrust and drama.  I would rather find someone less qualified provided they are smart and work well with others and teach them the necessary skills.    

That is kind of what I am worried about. I am also a bit concerned that, because she is over qualified for the position, that she may quickly lose interest in the job duties and simple tasks that we really need someone to do.  

image"width="200px"> Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • So the wife of the safety inspector wants to be your tech??? Oh jeeze.
                                   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker
  • but her overqualification might be a legit reason not to hire her. 
  • imagelisajay09:
    Conflict of interest. No interview. Business is business.

I agree. Many places wouldn't even allow them to both be employed at the same time.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Thanks ladies! I am going to have to give this some serious thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"