Military Families

Prime and Fertility Testing

For those who have had fertility testing done, how long did it take for your referral to go through to begin testing??? My husband and I have been trying for a year and a half and are finally admitting to ourselves that we should get checked out. The issue is my Prime coverage doesn't kick in until Dec 1 and we'll be back home on block leave until the 17th. Then he leaves shortly into the new year. Will we have enough time to get the referral and the testing done before he leaves??? Should I have him go now and then I can just go whenever once my coverage starts????

Re: Prime and Fertility Testing

• imageMrsDean817:
    For those who have had fertility testing done, how long did it take for your referral to go through to begin testing??? My husband and I have been trying for a year and a half and are finally admitting to ourselves that we should get checked out. The issue is my Prime coverage doesn't kick in until Dec 1 and we'll be back home on block leave until the 17th. Then he leaves shortly into the new year. Will we have enough time to get the referral and the testing done before he leaves??? Should I have him go now and then I can just go whenever once my coverage starts????

How long is he going to be gone for? The reason I ask is the testing we had to complete to see if we needed fertility treatment took a month. You would need bloodwork done during your cycle and possible other tests during your cycle. We were referred and due to how busy the clinic was we werent able to begin those tests until two months later. It depends on where you are though. You said he leaves shortly after the new year. Is he going to be gone for awhile? If so then I would look into receiving treatment once he returns. Afterall, you cant get pregnant (by your DH) if he isnt around so it doesnt make sense to put your body through treatment.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• He'll be gone about 7 months. We just wanted to get a jump start on things so that we would know where we stand when it comes to starting our family.
  • Loading the player...
  • He needs to get testing done first and you will need normal blood work done first as well. If that comes back fine then you will get a referral to go. From there you will get the referral in the mail, which mine took a week. Then depending on the clinic you go to it can take up to three months of testing, for you before they give you treatment options. For the treatment process they will want you both available for at least a year, so with your husband gone for 7 months you may not get a lot done.
  • It also depends on where you are. My referral was not in the mail and I go to Walter Reed.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• It took ours like a month to go through but it took about another month to get into the fertility clinic after that.. and they wont want to do testing that far in advance because they will want to know exactly where your body is in 7 months when hes home and you are ready to start trying. Its a horrible waiting process but once you get there it is totally worth it! We had almost a year of trying.. then a surgery.. then lots of testing and TONS of meds before we finally got pregnant and every hard night and sad day was TOTALLY worth it!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • PCM appointment. Referral approved in 48 hours. Civilian RE appointment took nearly two months. It takes longer to get an appointment with RE than it does to get the referral.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image*HiS ChAmAoLe GiRL*:

imageMrsDean817:

How long is he going to be gone for? The reason I ask is the testing we had to complete to see if we needed fertility treatment took a month. You would need bloodwork done during your cycle and possible other tests during your cycle. We were referred and due to how busy the clinic was we werent able to begin those tests until two months later. It depends on where you are though. You said he leaves shortly after the new year. Is he going to be gone for awhile? If so then I would look into receiving treatment once he returns. Afterall, you cant get pregnant (by your DH) if he isnt around so it doesnt make sense to put your body through treatment.

I agree with part of this but also disagree with other parts, my husband was deployed while I got a lot of my testing, that way we were ready to get pregnant as soon as he returned, i actually started my first round of treatment the week before he returned, setting me up to get pregnant the night he got home. I needed a few tests and ultrasounds, the main part of the testing happened about a month before he returned, but I felt much better having some progress while he was gone. 

However, the fertility testing can be invasive and sometimes painful and you may do better with it emotionally if DH is there, looking back I think I would have, I was just so eager to get pregnant that i didn't want to wait. 

as far as how long my referral took, it probably took a couple weeks for it to go through but I opted to see a civilian doctor for my testing so I was able to get in fairly quickly.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"