February 2013 Moms

anyone wearing compression stockings?

Hi all - just wondering if any of you out there are wearing compression stockings, or have experience with them?  I'm starting to get some issues with varicose veins.  I've always had a few in my upper thighs, even before pregnant, but the ones I have are getting more prominent, and I'm sprouting a few new ones - most noticably (and depressingly!) in my left calf muscle.  Argh!  I can't even hide that one under dresses!  Boo :(  Aside from their ugly appearance, the worst part is I'm getting some aches and pains from them too.  My SIL, a pharmacist and mom of 2, suggested I get some compression stockings, so I bought a pair off of Amazon.  I wore them once last week, and HOLY COW are they tight.  I followed the sizing guide and purchased a Medium based on my weight and the measurements of my leg at ankle, calf, and thigh - but even though they are correct, it just feels awfully tight.  I realize that's the idea - but still, its a whole other experience actually wearing them.  

Once they've been on an hour or so, I start to get used to it - but GETTING them on is a whole other ordeal.  It seriously took me about 15-20 minutes to get them on the first time because they're so unbelievably tight that you have to just inch them up, little by little.  It takes forever - and the kicker is, ideally you should wear them only after you've been laying down awhile, so that blood isn't pooled in your legs.  So its like laying on the bed to wear your tightest pair of jeans, except its like the world's most snug pantyhouse - - so awkward and difficult to tug on, and with my belly!  Just like the poster below with pulling on her boots - I seriously broke a sweat getting them on!

Wondering if anyone here has advice, suggestions, commiserations, etc. on how to handle this!  I actually didn't put them on today because I just didn't have the time to fight with them before having to leave for work :)  Thanks in advance! 

DS born February 5, 2013

Need tips for surviving cat allergies? Check out my bio! :)

Re: anyone wearing compression stockings?

• I have Lymphedima in my left leg from an accident so I have some experience compression stockings. I have a custom one so my situation is a little different, but honestly wear it for a few days and you'll get used to it.

DON'T WEAR IT AT NIGHT!

Also, if you're super worried about the tightness I would look up a good physical therapist in your area that is certified in Lymphedima and schedule an appointment. They can usually point you in the right direction or get you in touch with people that can help you better.

HTH!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Photobucket
  • I've been wearing the thigh highs since the beginning of the pregnancy.  I had to wear them with the last one too.  I just bought some maternity hose that are full belly panel and they are almost too tight to wear.  I had to cut the elastic band around the belly so I could breathe and it literally takes me five minutes to get them on.  By the time I pull them up I feel like I've run a marathon.  There is no way I am going to be able to maneuver them on with a bigger belly in a month or so.  I either need to buy a size up or just stick to the thigh highs.  Problem is the thigh highs roll down.  My MW suggested getting some garters to keep them up and I'm thisclose to doing it!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks charleecraig and adamwife.  Yes, I had heard not to wear them at night, so no worries there (and I seriously think I'd lose my mind if I had to wear them at night, b/c I'd be super uncomfortable!).  But - I did hear that ideally, one should put them on while still in bed in the morning, before even waking up.  I haven't been doing that b/c I can't stand to NOT shower in the mornings, but I have been trying to lay down with legs elevated for 5-10 minutes prior to putting them on.

I will certainly keep your advice in mind about finding a PT to size me correctly if I really can't handle these particular stockings - thanks for that.

adamwife - yes, I too have the thigh high version, just to clarify.  I can't even imagine wearing a true pantyhose-type that goes over the belly - not only would that just feel too restricting, but the thought of having to pull them down/up a zillion times a day to pee - - GAH! 

DS born February 5, 2013

• imageATLdesi:

adamwife - yes, I too have the thigh high version, just to clarify.  I can't even imagine wearing a true pantyhose-type that goes over the belly - not only would that just feel too restricting, but the thought of having to pull them down/up a zillion times a day to pee - - GAH! 

It stinks, because I feel like I almost need the extra tightness from the full pantyhose, but they are so uncomfortable to get on and off.  My legs are a mess right now though.  I'm sprouting new veins weekly and they are so throbbing and achy.  Luckily, after I had DD it all went away, so I'm just praying that will be the case this time too.

• I wear them too, I have been wearing them since 2009, so I am pretty used to it at this point and it doesn't take me too long to put them on.  Mostly I wear the knee-highs, but the thigh-highs and pantyhose do take longer to put on (maybe 5 min or so.)  My suggestion for weekends is to buy the Jobst athletic socks.  They are SO comfortable and easy to put on.  I wear them as much as I possibly can!

As for putting them on in the morning after laying down, I don't think that's as important if you are wearing them for vericose veins.  My thinking is that is for people who have swelling like me or pp with lymphodema. 

As much of a pain as they are, keep wearing them.  Even though they are a pain, the benefits are worth it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

• It is my first full day wearing them today.  My OB prescribed them and I had to go to a medical supply store to get fitted/measured for them.  She showed me how to put them on more easily buy turning the toe to heal inside out and pulling them up from there.  They come in different compressions of tightness so I have the least amount of tightness.  If at all possible, it is really wonderful to get measured and get a pair that fits right.  They are really expensive but my insurance paid for them in full.  I got two pairs.  Yes, they are hard to get used to but if you have the right fit, they can really help.  I have varicose veins on my legs and TMI (down there) and it seems to help with the pain and swelling.  Good luck!  It does take more than 5 minutes to get them on and at some point your SO will probably have to help you with them...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • fignewt74 - thanks for recommending the Jobst socks!  I'm definitely going to look into those.

Aww man, izzyjenni - I'm so sorry you're having veins not only on your legs, but other areas - - I have heard about that and am really hoping I won't be blessed with that particular symptom too!  As for the stockings, you are right - I did have to have my DH help pull them off my legs last week :) 

DS born February 5, 2013

• If you feel your compression stockings are too tight you may want to have that checked. You can ask your physician if they can recommend a certified fitter to you or if you have a medical supply store around go there, they have certified fitters who can measure your legs and help you find the proper size you need.

Here's also a website on the topic that has a wealth of information... 

https://www.compressionstockingssite.com/index.php/2011/05/03/problems-with-graduated-compression-stockings-the-importance-of-correct-measurements-and-sizing/

Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"