November 2011 Moms

Hurricane Sandy

Crossing my fingers that no one here was seriously affected. The images are intense. Any East coasters want to share what its like where you are? Hoping everyone is ok!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hurricane Sandy

• I'm in MD and we had moments where it was bad... but  my area was nothing like Ocean City MD or New Jersey. Essentially it has been raining cats and dogs since Sunday and the winds got pretty high... but I think we've had worse (hurricane irene caused our french doors to open and slam against our walls in my old home). We had power the entire time.. but we also have a much better power company than most in MD.

I took LO down in the basement with the pack and play and we slept down there last night... mainly because there is a big tree close to our yard and if it fell it could kill us. They were very concerned about trees here since the rain came first and softened the ground, the high winds could cause normally secure trees to fall over. To see what was happening so close to us, in Ocean City (about 2 hours from us) was nervewracking, but served as a reminder that I never want to live close to the ocean. If we had a body of water close to us, we definitely would have had to evacuate our house and there would have been severe water damage

• Delaware was supposed to get walloped, but it didn't end up as bad as had been predicted.  Our house is low-lying, so we stuck out the storm at my ILs house.  I was relieved that when we returned home we hadn't flooded or lost electricity. 

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Loading the player...
  • We are on Long Island and although we lost lots of trees, we had no flooding and only lost power for a day at our house (we are a couple miles in from the water) we have lots of friends in the areas that were hit hard....several friends that are essentially homeless for the next 2-6 months due to losing the first floor/basements of their homes to flooding. 

We are incredibely lucky that the rain missed Long Island so the flooding was only from high tide/storm surges....fingers crossed that the storm that is hitting tomorrow is not as bad as they are predicting!

Oh and I know compared to losing your house it's trivial but waiting in line over an hour for gas is probably one of the most obnoxious things I've ever experienced...even worse than airport security lines!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"