Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Do you worry about bullying when DS/DD start school?

My DS1 is 3 and will be 4 next year. I find myself worrying about him being bullied a lot when he starts school. There are some kids in our complex that get along fine sometimes, but I have seen them pushing each other and yelling, and even once "punching" the other. I know some boys rough-house, but this is not how my son plays. He's very loving and I just think if some kid pushed him he'd burst into tears.

DH says that he doesn't think kids will pick on DS1 because he's so big, which is probably true because when he turned 3 he was the size of the average 5 year old, but I just worry. It would break my heart if he was being picked on/bullied. Then, I worry that these kids will teach him to play mean. Does anyone else find themselves worrying about these things?

Re: Do you worry about bullying when DS/DD start school?

• Options
    I don't worry about my almost 3 y/o DD because she is very strong willed and opinionated. She will not allow another kid to bully her or be "stepped on". She can stand on her own 2 feet so I'm not worried.
  • Options
    DD isn't even 3 yet and I worry about it a little. Not so much in elementary school more when she gets into middle school and high school. DD doesn't go to daycare and only socializes with a small amount of children so when she meets new kids she wants to hold hands and hug them like she does with her cousins and a lot of kids don't really like that. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageseells:
    DD isn't even 3 yet and I worry about it a little. Not so much in elementary school more when she gets into middle school and high school. DD doesn't go to daycare and only socializes with a small amount of children so when she meets new kids she wants to hold hands and hug them like she does with her cousins and a lot of kids don't really like that. 

That's how my son is. He doesn't really go to daycare, and when he did it was only 1 day a week, so he hasn't socialized much. He is more apprehensive, though. Whenever we would pick him up from daycare, he'd be sitting by himself, eating a snack while the other children were either playing or at another table. I felt bad.  However, he's a hugger, and as you said, many kids don't like that.

• Options
    I don't worry about it. Bullying has been around forever, it's just a "fad" topic right now. I want DS to be confident, and strong enough to ignore insecure kids that bully. I also hope we can raise him to be kind & loving enough not to ever bully anyone else. 
  • Options
    The only thing you can do is teach your LO what to do.  Yell for help and if no one is there how to stick up for themselves.  DS1 got beat up on the playground at his old DC.  4 boys punching and kicking him while he was on the ground.  I think it was almost more traumatic for me since he didn't understand how bad that was.  He is doing great now in 4K.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

My kid has glasses and a peanut allergy.  I worry about this all the time.  Unfortunately being short is genetically in the future too.  I may as well paint a bullseye on him.  I hope ican be an involved in school and work with the teachers.  

But who knows, my kid could end up being the one who is doing the bullying which is a challenge too.   

• Options
    imagerlyttle:
    I don't worry about it. Bullying has been around forever, it's just a "fad" topic right now. I want DS to be confident, and strong enough to ignore insecure kids that bully. I also hope we can raise him to be kind & loving enough not to ever bully anyone else. 
    I a hundred million times agree with this. Bullying is such a hyped up thing right now in the media. There is a difference between being teased and the legal definition of being bullied. The biggest thing that I try to teach the kids (and parents) at my school is be proactive and speak up. If someone is threatening you or putting their hands on you, report it immediately! Don't let those behavior continue for months before letting a school administrator know.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I personally don't worry about DS being bullied because he is a very strong, independent kid who doesn't take crap from anyone at 2! One of my good friends was bullied her entire life (tried to commit suicide it was so bad) and she is scared to death about her DD being bullied. Her and her DH made the decision to home school because of their fears. Her DD is the type of child that would get picked on so it's a good decision for them. Obviously not everyone can home school, but teaching your kids to stand up for themselves is a good way to prevent bulling from happening.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I also think that social media has changed bullying from when we were kids...it is very easy to hide behind the internet & be mean to other kids when you're in your own bedroom & don't have to deal with being face to face...(kinda like snarkiness on TB to be honest--- ppl would never talk to each other IRL like they do on here). In our day, there was teasing but bullying was thought of more as the physical stuff- now the bullying is much more psychological.

I already had to have a talk with my DD when she was not even 3 about saying that's not nice, I am not going to play that & walking away from the almost 4 yr ld girls in her class when they called her a baby or tried to make her play mommy & baby and acted like she couldn't walk or talk b/c she was 'still only 2'... so yeah ,I worry about it but not based on my kids' personality, just b/c kids have to deal with that & it was already making me sad for her before age 3! But I also worry about my kids ending up being bullies or in a crowd that bullies too...at this point I don't know if their personalities will change a bit or who they'll end up being friends with, etc.  I do hope they stand up for each other though.

• Options
    DS is a pretty easy going kid and gets along very well with all of the other kids at daycare so I don't worry about him too much. With DD, I worry more about her being the bully! She can be very take charge and is determined to get what she wants. I just hope she carries those qualities into an appropriate path.

• Options

I do worry... on both spectrums.

When I was young I got teased due to my small gap in my teeth.

Alexa has a VERY big gap like her dad had that closed once he had his wisdom teeth grow in.

But when I told my mom I was worried about her being bullied on, my mom says she's more afraid she's going to be the bully.

God forbid I allow my child to be a bully. Nip that in the bud real quick.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    UGH...I know what you mean.  You just love this sweet little guy soooo much that the idea of him being made fun of, sad or hit breaks your heart into a million pieces.  Just try your best to give him the tools to handle these kind of situations.  They are, unfortunately, a normal part of growing up.  There is much more awareness of bullying now, but then again there is the freaking computer and phones.  That will come into play a bit later on.  Will we ever stop worrying?  Probably notTongue Tied
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I do worry about it. And where I live, this school year there have been several incidents around the county of guns being brought to schools, so that makes it even worse! DH and I really do not want our kids going to the public schools around here. I hope we can afford private school, although DH wants me to homeschool.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"