Two Under 2

Pass along some advice

I'm gonna be a 2 under 2 momma in a couple months. what's your best advice? anything i should start preparing myself for now?

Re: Pass along some advice

• When I was pregnant, I stocked up on a lot of things as they went on sale so that I wouldn't have to do as much grocery and household shopping with two.  I wish I had stocked up even more!

I also wish I would have taken more time for getting away and doing "me" things before going back to having a nursling who needs to stay nearby (I don't do bottles).

Once baby #2 arrives, remember that your toddler will need a couple of weeks to adjust but it WILL get better! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • During those first couple months accept help when offered, use paper plates if you don't have a dishwasher, and have a safe place that your toddler can play when you are dealing with baby, maybe have closet where you keep special toys.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not so much as a piece of advice as a little trick to help your toddler feel like the baby is NOT taking over... 

You will find yourself telling your older child to wait/be patient a lot. Try to make sure you tell the baby the same thing. Obviously the baby doesn't care, but it will make your older child feel like they still get to come first. For instance, if you're in the middle of preparing your older child a snack and the baby is fussing, say "Now baby, you just have to be patient here. Mommy is making your big sibling a snack, and then I'll take care of you".

Other than that, let's see...

I used the sling a lot those first few months so I could still do things with DD1, like take her to the playground (no, it's not easy watching your toddler with the baby in the sling, but you manage).

Try to stick to your older child's schedule as much as possible - Routine is SUCH an important part of their life. And try to make the baby part of the routine as much as possible - you can read bedtime stories with the two of them, baby can chill in their bouncy seat next to you at lunch time, that sort of thing.

If you're planning any big changes in your older child's life, try to make them long enough before the baby arrives so that it doesn't feel like it's the baby's fault - Especially if you plan on "giving. any of the older sibling's things to the baby (like the crib).

As for the rest, I think you essentially prepare the same for a 2nd as you do with a 1st - Freeze as many meals as you possibly can, accept help if it is offered, and don't fret over a not-so-clean house.

HTH! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"