Natural Birth
Options

Home birth

I'm looking for some resources (as unbiased as possible) on home birth.  I have one CPM in my area and sent her an email with some questions.  I'd like to do some research on my own.  Of course there's google, I was curious to know if there are any really "good", useful websites or books I could look into in the mean time. 

TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker image image
     Big M 7/11/11
      Little M 6/16/2013
                Angel baby 5/17/2014          

Re: Home birth

• Options
    what kind of resources?
  • Options

imageNadine714:
    what kind of resources?

As I said above, websites, books, etc. about home birth.   

Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Ina May Gaskin's books are great. 

Websites:  mana.org, Midwifery.com, Mothering.com

"unbiased" sources are hard to come by. Home birth has its vocal advocates and its vocal opponents. There are no clear data on how or why home birth is better than center or hospital birth. The benefits are all based on your perspective, as are most of the risks. Because the information is so reliant on perspective, it's highly subjective and there really is no such thing as unbiased subjectivity.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemeltoine:

Ina May Gaskin's books are great. 

Websites:  mana.org, Midwifery.com, Mothering.com

"unbiased" sources are hard to come by. Home birth has its vocal advocates and its vocal opponents. There are no clear data on how or why home birth is better than center or hospital birth. The benefits are all based on your perspective, as are most of the risks. Because the information is so reliant on perspective, it's highly subjective and there really is no such thing as unbiased subjectivity.  

Thank you! 

Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • Options
    While I'm at the top of the list here, how about another question?

The baby usually sees a pediatrician that day or the day after birth in the hospital.  Do you just make a quick appointment and take the baby to your pedi that day or the day after if you birth at home? How does that work?  
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • Options
    imageohdrama09:
    While I'm at the top of the list here, how about another question?The baby usually sees anbsp;pediatrician that day or the day after birth in the hospital. nbsp;Do you just make a quick appointment and take the baby to your pedi that day or the day after if you birth at home? How does that work?nbsp;nbsp;
    not sure if this is always the case but my mw does all the pedi stuff for the first 6 to 8 weeks. She is a birth center and home midwife.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We took DD to her first appointment at 5 days old. My CPM did her check ups at birth and the next day 
    Mommy to Emery Vera 5.20.12  Blog
  • Options
    Midwives are qualified to check out baby (and do so thoroughly) after the birth. I go to a birth center and a nurse comes to my house after the birth to check on us both.

As someone else said, you're not really going to find unbiased information. People are either strongly for it or strongly against it.

I really like birthwithoutfear.com
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageWearingRed:
    imageohdrama09:
    While I'm at the top of the list here, how about another question?The baby usually sees anbsp;pediatrician that day or the day after birth in the hospital. nbsp;Do you just make a quick appointment and take the baby to your pedi that day or the day after if you birth at home? How does that work?nbsp;nbsp;
    not sure if this is always the case but my mw does all the pedi stuff for the first 6 to 8 weeks. She is a birth center and home midwife.

Mine is the same way.  My pediatrician didn't see DD until she was 2 weeks and then again at 6 weeks for her first shots. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Here is my home birth MWs web page. There are a bunch of resources listed on there. GL!

gentlebirthcare.com 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Options
    imageLaurelBee:

Here is my home birth MWs web page. There are a bunch of resources listed on there. GL!

gentlebirthcare.com 

This is a huge help!  Thank you ladies! 
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • Options

imageohdrama09:
    While I'm at the top of the list here, how about another question?

The baby usually sees a pediatrician that day or the day after birth in the hospital.  Do you just make a quick appointment and take the baby to your pedi that day or the day after if you birth at home? How does that work?  

My MWs are trained to assess the newborn.  They do it the day of the birth, the day after, and again at 3 days PP.  I take my babies to the family doc at 2 weeks just like I would if we were having a hospital birth. If the baby is showing signs of severe jaundice or anything else comes up in the MW screening, we would take the baby in sooner for a checkup.  Otherwise, there is no need to see the doc for a healthy baby.

• Options
    I had a home birth and it was amazing..you can do it! My midwife did a newborn screening the day I had my son and then we took him to the doctors when he was 5 days old. No need to see the doc the day you have your baby.
  • Options

Here's a good resource . . .

https://evidencebasedbirth.com/a-non-biased-look-at-the-evidence-about-home-birth/

Your MW will be able to do the baby's screenings.  Talk to the MW about any and all questions you might have, you'll find her (or him) a great source of information.  Our MW will do all the screenings, as well as visit withing 24-36 hrs after the birth, as well as after a few days, then a week, 2 weeks and 6 weeks.  Way more post-partum care than I received with my hospital birth . . . which was 5 days and 6 weeks.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Home birth books are not going to be unbias but they will have a lot of stats that traditional pregnancy books don't share because they are scary. Since it is no longer the traditional method of delivering a baby, it is not going to be talked about much in traditional books, usually it gets 1/2 a page and is combined with a blurb about midwives, doulas and birth centers.

Books I liked - Ina' May's Guide to Childbirth, Birth Matters, and Spiritual Midwifery. Reading her Guide to Breastfeeding now. Also, Gentle Births, Ricky Lake's new one Your Best Birth. Movies I liked include Pregnancy in America, Business of Being Born, More Business of Being Born, Orgasmic Birth.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagevintagejjane:
    We took DD to her first appointment at 5 days old. My CPM did her check ups at birth and the next day 

This is what our CPM said most of her clients do. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"