C-sections

Looks like I'm having a c-section. Whats everyones best advice?

I've read tons on natural birth but now its looking like a c-section is the safest option for my large baby. Calling to schedule in the morning. As much as I've tried to prepare for the possibility of a c-section I still feel uninformed about recovery and what its really like. I've prepared my split level home with supplies on both floors and will have help from my Mom. Just wondering what advice or what supplies people found most helpful in their recovery after surgery

Re: Looks like I'm having a c-section. Whats everyones best advice?

• Gas pills and stool softeners - a must. Sorry blunt and not pretty but the truth, the gas and bloating is pretty intense. Don't try to be too brave, take the pain pill they prescribe. 
  • Get a step stool to get in and out of bed and the shower. And get lots of stool softeners! 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Just curious about how large. Size is not typically a good reason to have a c/s without a trial of labor. Just so you know you have options. If I were you I'd ask for a second opinion from a different provider group.

That said remember you had major abdominal surgery. Yes, you should move around some. But you should limit stair climbing and lifting. You should not attempt to do any house cleaning, carry laundry up and down the stairs or do any exercise beyond an easy stroll around the block before at least the 6 week mark.  Get people to help you do all of those things. 

Drink lots and lots of water. I did not need stool softeners at all. I know everyone swears by them, but drinking plenty of water was all I needed.

Take your medicine. Don't skip doses until at least 2 weeks PP. Then start tapering off a bit at a time.

And keep everything you need for the day on one level of the house.  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• The size estimate is 10 1/4 pounds I'm only 5"3 so my hips and pelvis are not very big. They are giving me the option of c-section as they could not get a measurement on his stomach (its too large) and his shoulders measured wide. They said he's built like a football player after discussing options and possible complications I've decided the c-section may be the best option. As I'm 39 weeks only dilated 1cm and have not started to soften which the OB said mean induction is not the best plan and would up my chances of emergency c-section anyways.
  • Take all the pain pills and jyst lay around with the baby. I didnt and 8 months later Im getting reopened to get internal incision reswen. Plz let house get trashed. nbd!
  • Get some ridiculously large granny panties that will come up over your belly button for home. Stock up on Always Infiniti pads (swipe some of the mesh panties from the hospital ask your nurse they should get you some extra to take home).  

Take a Boppy, Breast Friend, etc. if you are planning on breastfeeding as some holds are painful without them. 

Get a good nursing gown (if BF) or a cute nightgown that is comfortable but is layered.  You will be amazed at how much you sweat, but then are cold and it is difficult to add/remove clothes the first few days.  The nurses/DRs constantly check your incision/vag so it is easier to just lift up a gown then situate yourself to pull the pants and panties off.

GL! 

12/13/10 BFP 12/23/10 Miscarriage 3/6/11 BFP EDD 11/09/11 11/03/11 C-Section at 39w1d for failure to progress on induction for HBP and GD Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Cincinnati Reds Pictures, Images and Photos image ~~~~~Everyone Welcome PgAL/PAL~~~~~~
  • ditto to all PP's about the meds, taking it easy, and stool softeners/drinking water.

Others:

1. stock up on comfy pants..I lived in cotton yoga pants for a month because anything else just felt uncomfy with the incision (I found that my maternity jeans at the end of the expandable tummy part rubbed my incision.)

2. Get some underwear that doesn't hit just above your incision line. I had to buy all new undies because mine rubbed right on the scar and it hurt.

3. You had major surgery...remember you need sleep to heal.  Easier said than done, but try.

4. I used a handheld mirror to look at my incision everyday.. I had a lot of loose skin so it was hard for me the first week or two to look at the incision (gross, I know, but I had to "hold up" some of the tummy pouch skin to see the incision and never felt like I could really see what was going on). I liked having the hand held mirror because I felt like I could get a better look at it to check for any infection, how the healing was going, etc.

5. Keep a pillow near you in the first couple of weeks for laughing and coughing. It helped ease the pain when I had to cough or laugh hard. I know it's gross, but I also kept one in the bathroom that first week as I was trying to pass my first BM. even with stool softeners and tons of water I had quite the time, sorry TMI but that pillow helped with pushing!!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Definitely having things on both floors. And a stool to get into bed (I'm short and never would have made it, but then I had to have one when I was pg., too). Dresses to wear.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • For me, I wish I'd taken more pain meds earlier on. My OB gave me 20 pills, to be taken every 4-6 hours. She told me I couldn't refill and would need to ween myself off them and take tylenol once I was out. 

So I was paranoid about running out and only took 1 per day (and would take tylenol and/or ibuprofen for the rest of the day). I actually was only in true "pain" for a week. I should have taken 2-3 pain pills per day that first week instead of hoarding them. Instead I have a nearly full bottle of pain meds, and I suffered for no reason that first week.

I'm now 3 weeks PP and I feel great. I'm trying to still take it relatively easy because I'm paranoid about the internal stitches splitting, but honestly I had very little pain after that first week.  

DS1 : 10/2012
    Due with B/G Twins July 2015
  • First, take the mesh panites from the hospital. They are loose and go way above your incision! I only took one extra pair and I wish I had many more. Stay on your pain pills when you get home. I took my hydro for one week and ibuprofen for week two. I did not need any stool softners or gas relief. Lots of fluids worked for me. Try not to walk a lot and if you do, go slow no need to rush. No laundry! And if you have a tall bed get a stool to step up on (but make sure its sturdy), i didn't and it was difficult to get on and off.

Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • For me constipation was the worst part of the my c-sections.  I have had three and I did everything to get things moving down there.  By the time of my third c-section, and after not having a BM for several days, I threw up my hands and asked for a suppository.  I was so glad I did.  I got relief within 30 minutes instead of having to wait hours or days for other methods to work.  So that is my advice to you.  If you for several days without a BM, ask for a suppository.
  • My hospital had me up and walking about 12 hours after surgery and I feel like that really helped with my recovery.  I only stayed in the hospital for 2 days.  

I didn't bother wearing pants until the day we checked out.  I put a nursing tank on under my gown and had a robe - they are in and out and checking your crotch and incision so often that it was just easier to pull the gown up.

When you get home and start feeling ok remember that you had MAJOR surgery and your body will trick you by feeling better and then you will do too much and pay for it the next day.  Get as much help as you can and just focus on your recovery and being with your baby.

Lots of luck! 

• Thanks for the advice everybody!  Monday is the big day. I was pretty stressed about the c-section but getting more information has helped me feel better about my decision and recovery. Now I just have to convince my husband that I won't be a complete invalid. He keeps saying things like, "are you sure you'll be able to lift the baby what if he's really heavy." And I'm like, "I'm holding and feeding my baby you crazy man I'll use pillows for support." He also seemed to think that because I'm having a c-section I'd just throw away our plans to breastfeed and sleep all the time. (I should not be surprised though a few years back he called an ambulance when I had food poisoning) His over concern often annoys me but I guess I'm lucky to have someone that cares so much
  • I have a couple of things that helped me:

1- I got the boys cut underwear, it worked great for me, even better then the stuff in the hospital, because the mesh stuff kept on falling off me.  I found them too fluffy.  ::shrugs::  

2- One of the nurses showed me a trick of putting a pad horizontal in the front part of your underwear to prevent rubbing, also it will soak up some of the liquid your body produces from healing. 

3-  Bring some night gowns as opposed to pants to wear for right after the surgery.  I know it may not look all that attractive, however the less rubbing the better!

4- Like the previous posters said take the meds when they are due for about the first week and a half, then slowly wean yourself off with either Tylenol or ibuprofen. 

5- Also for the first couple of weeks snuggle with your honey! I found once i got home either snuggling with DH or a pillow where the incision was made it feel better so i could sleep, mainly because i didn't feel like my insides were falling out (which is an odd sensation)

HTH!  Good luck!

1999- Dx Prolactinoma

8-25-2012 - Lucas born via C-section at 38 Weeks 2 days
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I know this sounds dumb but silky pajama pants. They make it easier to slide in and out of bed.

Good luck, and I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Stool Softener & Pills to relief gas (the two worst problems right there) 

pain killers

(A MUST) Get the diaper pads they are much more comfy and less of a hassle.. try and get the ones that do up on the sides so you don't have to bend over (it hurts)

Tensor bandage to wrap around your scar and belly(i found this helps to hold everything in after baby is born even the slightest movements hurt) 

stool to put under your feet when using the bathroom, to get in the tub, and in the bed..

Good luck girl! I know its not the most ideal birth but you will get to hold you safe and healthy baby in no time! it is worth it!!! but i sure you know that :)  

• Tomorrows is the big day got myself and my house all prepared. Very excited to meet my baby boy :) 

Everyones advice has been so helpful. Thanks everyone! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"