Toddlers: 24 Months+

When would you switch the a regular bed?

My son has been in his toddler bed since he was about 18 months old. When would you think it is necesary to switch to a regular bed? Just wondering what all of you have done.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: When would you switch the a regular bed?

• We skipped the toddler bed.

We put DD1 in a twin bed (with boxspring and mattress essentially on the floor (boxspring, frame, mattress INSTEAD of frame, boxspring, mattress) at 24 months (her 2nd birthday). It went totally fine.

Now, DS and DD1 share a room and DD1 began pushing DS's crib around the room so we had to switch him (22 months) BUT he would likely fall off a twin, so we put them BOTH on just mattresses (no frames, no boxsprings) on the floor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • DD1 has been in a toddler bed since 21 months.  She still has plenty of room and I don't plan to switch her to a regular bed until DD2 is ready to transition from the crib.  When that time comes we'll likely get bunk beds.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • We cosleep, and moved her to our old queen mattress on the floor (in our room) starting at 1yr.  We just moved it into her room (and I'm usually still with her) just shy of 2.5yrs.
    IMG_8355
  • We skipped over the toddler bed. Dd has been in a full size bed since she was 27 months old.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were gifted a toddler bed, she moved to it at 23 months and is still in it. We are debating moving her to a twin soon as the toddler bed just doesn't seem comfortable for her anymore. Had we not gotten the toddler bed free, we would have gone straight to a twin. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We waited until they started asking for it and then made a big deal about it.  Explained to them its a big kids bed and they had to earn it.  We do the Melissa & Doug responsibility charts (they each get one for their 1 year b-day) and its 7 responsbilities for the day.  Anways if they could get 45 stickers for the week (45 out of 49) they could get a sticker towards their big bed (they had to get 6 stickers).  They got to pick out their bedding for their full size beds.  DS was 3 (but he had been in a toddler bed at a little over 2- had to earn that as well); and DD went right into a full size bed at 2 1/2 only because I didn't 100% trust that she wouldn't walk around her room at night in a toddler bed but with a full size bed its too tall for her to get down so she's stuck in it until we get her. 
  • DD was moved over to a toddler bed at 16 months and we just moved her over to a regular twin bed last month.  We were a little afraid she would constantly fall out of bed the way she tossed and turned but so far so good!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We switched our son to a twin bed right about the time he turned 3. It was convenient because 1) we had just moved and 2) we were trying for a second one, so we knew we would be needing the crib back (which had turned into the toddler bed) relatively soon. He was pretty excited about his big boy bed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"