June 2013 Moms

Do you think Cheese Ravioli is OK for us? (soft cheese filling)

After I ate some cheese ravioli today I remembered the doctor said not to eat soft cheese. I think the issue is lack pasteurization for soft cheeses ..... in the case of the ravioli however, it was boiled ... so that should be fine right?

What do you think. Yea or Nah to Ravioli? 

**Child and Loss Mentioned**

~~~God's Promises are Good and True! ~~~

Baby boy born 6/3/13 after 13 cycles :)
Angel Baby Loss November 2018.
  Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Do you think Cheese Ravioli is OK for us? (soft cheese filling)

• I would eat it.
  • i'd cook it extra long and make sure it was hot enough and eat it like crazy.
    Married 2007
    DS - 5/2010
    DD - 6-2013
    TTC #3 - Cycle #9

• Loading the player...
  • I don't know for sure if pasteurization is the issue, which is why I posted.

• imageAvidVertigo:
    i'd cook it extra long and make sure it was hot enough and eat it like crazy.
    lol, thanks :)

• If ravioli is wrong, I don't wanna be right.
  • Yes, I'm sure it's fine -- as long as the cheese is pasteurized. :) 
    Married 07.07.12
    BFP #1 EDD 06.04.13
    Beta #1: 20,560 @ 20DPO, Beta #2: 37,945 @ 22DPO
    U/S #1: 4w6d - too early to see baby, U/S #2: 6w2d - we saw the heartbeat!
    *So thankful to God for blessing us with this miracle*

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just found this article on baby center.

https://www.babycenter.com.au/pregnancy/nutrition/foodsafety/cheeseexpert/

regnant women are advised not to eat uncooked: 

soft, mould-ripened cheeses, such as Brie or Camembert 
    blue-veined cheeses, such as Danish Blue and Stilton 
    semi-soft cheeses, such as fetta and ricotta 

These cheeses are moister and less acidic than other cheeses, providing a perfect environment for bacteria to grow. However, thorough cooking should kill any listeria, so it should be safe to eat these cheeses in cooked food. Before you eat it, though, make sure it has been properly cooked and is piping hot all the way through. 

Read more: https://www.babycenter.com.au/pregnancy/nutrition/foodsafety/cheeseexpert/#ixzz2B5UCWmiR 

• imageHisPromisIsTrue:

I just found this article on baby center.

These cheeses are moister and less acidic than other cheeses, providing a perfect environment for bacteria to grow. However, thorough cooking should kill any listeria, so it should be safe to eat these cheeses in cooked food. Before you eat it, though, make sure it has been properly cooked and is piping hot all the way through. 

Read more: https://www.babycenter.com.au/pregnancy/nutrition/foodsafety/cheeseexpert/#ixzz2B5UCWmiR 

First off, none of the cheese listed are in your ravioli.  Secondly, "soft cheeses" doesn't mean literally soft, like pureed, melted or shredded.  Those are "soft" but aren't what they're talking about.  Also, ANY pasteurized dairy is fine.  Even soft cheeses. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imageelmoali:
    imageHisPromisIsTrue:

First off, none of the cheese listed are in your ravioli.  Secondly, "soft cheeses" doesn't mean literally soft, like pureed, melted or shredded.  Those are "soft" but aren't what they're talking about.  Also, ANY pasteurized dairy is fine.  Even soft cheeses. 

Actually I think ricotta is common in ravioli, but I do agree it's safe to eat.  

photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagekriskell:
    imageelmoali:
    imageHisPromisIsTrue:

Actually I think ricotta is common in ravioli, but I do agree it's safe to eat.  

Wait, you're right - I skipped that in the post.  I was focused on blue and feta.  But yes, all safe.   

• imageelmoali:
    imageHisPromisIsTrue:

FYI, Ricotta Cheese is in Ravioli. It isn't soft due to pureeing or melting, that is just the natural composition of the cheese.

Also, the article state that because cheese like Ricotta are moister and less acidic, they are a good environment for bacteria ... this and not the pasteurization would be the issue. Based on that data, I don't see an issue with soft cheeses that are cooked to a temperature that would kill bacteria.

• imageHisPromisIsTrue:
    imageelmoali:
    imageHisPromisIsTrue:

FYI, Ricotta Cheese is in Ravioli. It isn't soft due to pureeing or melting, that is just the natural composition of the cheese.

Also, the article state that because cheese like Ricotta are moister and less acidic, they are a good environment for bacteria ... this and not the pasteurization would be the issue. Based on that data, I don't see an issue with soft cheeses that are cooked to a temperature that would kill bacteria.

I know but some people literally think soft is soft so I was just adding that to my opinion.  I've seen people wonder if cheese dip is ok because it's now "soft" or cheddar because if it's thin enough of shredded you can squish it between your fingers so people then think THAT qualifies as soft. 

• I live part time in France. Do you really think we can go 9m without cheese? They've already taken away our wine, foie gras, oysters, and champagne at Christmas/ New Year. They can't take away our cheese, too, without any concessions. Just make sure that it's pasteurized but it is very difficult to find unpasteurized cheese in the States. Even when you look.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You are fine. Eat away! Now I want ravioli!
    imageimage

BFP #1 EDD 08/07/11 DS born 07/27/11 Welcome Mr. Smiley!
    BFP #2 05/28/12 EDD 02/03/13 Natural M/C 07/14/12 10w6d
    BFP #3 10/02/12 EDD 06/11/13 Please stick baby! Stick!

Sunshine_zps3fcf529f Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think not eating ravioli is going a bit overboard on the whole 'what not to eat' thing during pregnancy.

BFP #1- 10/2011 (m/c 12 weeks)
    BFP #2- 9/2012 (beautiful boy born sleeping @ 20 weeks)
    BFP #3- 11/2013 (m/c 6 weeks)
    BF #4 - 10/2014- stick baby!!!!!!
  • I think it's been covered but as long as it's pasteurized, there shouldn't be an issue.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP #1 5/07/11, DS 01/19/12
    BFP #2 08/09/12, M/C 08/10/12
    BFP #3 10/30/12, EDD 07/11/12...please stick!
  • imageIrishCoffee7:
    imagespolan:
    I live part time in France. Do you really think we can go 9m without cheese? They've already taken away our wine, foie gras, oysters, and champagne at Christmas/ New Year. They can't take away our cheese, too, without any concessions. Just make sure that it's pasteurized but it is very difficult to find unpasteurized cheese in the States. Even when you look.
    God I want everything you just listed now.  In the future please refrain from listing delicious French foods that I'm not allowed to eat.  OK? Thxbai. 

Mwahahahhaha. If I have to suffer, I'm bringing y'all along for the ride ;P
  • imageIrishCoffee7:

imagespolan:
    imageIrishCoffee7:
    imagespolan:
    I live part time in France. Do you really think we can go 9m without cheese? They've already taken away our wine, foie gras, oysters, and champagne at Christmas/ New Year. They can't take away our cheese, too, without any concessions. Just make sure that it's pasteurized but it is very difficult to find unpasteurized cheese in the States. Even when you look.
    God I want everything you just listed now.  In the future please refrain from listing delicious French foods that I'm not allowed to eat.  OK? Thxbai. 
    Dammit.

I don't know what it was...oysters should sound slimy and gross and puke-worthy in first tri right?  Yet that's all I can think about...delicious, briny oysters.

Nope, right there with you. Mmmm. With a huge platter of sushi. Or sashimi.
  • I just think if there is no warning label for Pregnant women then it should be okay right?? I dont care for Cheese Ravioli but some meat filled sounds amazing!!!

Dont consume yourself in what you cannot eat because if you follow every rule that some people say you should or shouldnt do then it will consume your life!

Enjoy! :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagenotquiteblushing:
    If ravioli is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

I second this!

• Omg. The cheese in your ravioli is not unpasturized. Trust. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Safe.
  • imageIrishCoffee7:
    imagespolan:
    imageIrishCoffee7:

imagespolan:
    imageIrishCoffee7:
    imagespolan:
    Dammit.

I don't know what it was...oysters should sound slimy and gross and puke-worthy in first tri right?  Yet that's all I can think about...delicious, briny oysters.

Nope, right there with you. Mmmm. With a huge platter of sushi. Or sashimi.
    Ahhh, sashimi

::insert dreamy eyes here::

I was supposed to eat the hell out of one more giant meal of raw fish before getting pg but I got KTFU the first time and now sushi seems like such a far-off dream. 

7.5 months. It will be brought to me in the hospital or hell will ensue.
  • I had cheese ravioli last night and it didn't even occur to me that maybe I shouldn't have.  Guess I'm just more relaxed this time around.  I eat lunch meat all the time, too. 
    imageBabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You're fine. Don't overanalyze everything you eat, you'll go crazy. No sushi and be careful with seafood(that I'd avoid)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"