Military Families

National Guard ETS During Pregnancy

I am trying to get pregnant and if it happens soon, my service term will end during my pregnancy.  I may take a chapter 8 if it makes sense timewise being so close to the end.  Tricare hasn't been clear and they say that they THINK my insurance coverage will end the day I am discharged on either account but don't know and it is up to DEERs (??).  Does anyone have experience with this and is there any reason to go a chapter 8 or wait for a couple months and take the fulfillment of term discharge?

Re: National Guard ETS During Pregnancy

• I'll have 6 months left on my contract after I give birth. I plan on just separating at my ETS. Often times the chapter 8 can take just as long. Plus with my ETS coming up my readiness NCO will be prepared as well as my suppy guy who will need me to turn in my gear. Just for the ease and less paperwork I plan to just ETS.

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    I'll have 6 months left on my contract after I give birth. I plan on just separating at my ETS. Often times the chapter 8 can take just as long. Plus with my ETS coming up my readiness NCO will be prepared as well as my suppy guy who will need me to turn in my gear. Just for the ease and less paperwork I plan to just ETS.

This. In all honesty the Chapter 8 process may be more stressful than what it is worth. I put in my UQR packet for next October and will be staying on Active Duty for about five months after my baby is born. Also, this way you have completed your obligation without the chapter. I know the Chapter 8 is not a negative one, but why not just wait it out until you ETS? Especially since you get your 42 days of leave... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"