Pre-School and Daycare

Montessori question

We are looking at preschools and I want to look at both Montessori and traditional.  I really like the Montessori concept, but my concern is will she be able to transition without any issues for Kindergarten or first grade depending on when we move her.  More than likely she would move in Kindergarten as we are planning to send her to private catholic school and if we wait until first there may not be an opening available in her grade.  I am thinking of putting her in the Sat. morning parent child program just to see how she does in that environment before making a decision for  next year. For those with older children who have gone to Montessori pre-schools was it a hard transition once they moved to a traditional school?  She currently knows by sight over half of the letters, she sings the entire ABC song and can count to 20.  Based on where she is now I don?t think she will have any issue being considered ready for kindergarten.  Things she needs to work on are sitting for circle time, listening, following directions without inciting other children. If a child is not listening during story time and running around she tends to follow that child vs. sitting like she should be and listening.  I think Montessori will give her those independent skills and teach her ways to solve problems differently.  TIA.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Montessori question

• I LOVE our Montessori preschool. My only issues with DS transitioning to public Kindergarten has really been that he is way advanced because of what he did in Montessori. He said it took a little bit of time to get used to raising hands and not going around choosing his work but honestly they are 5 and adjust. As long as it is a wellrounded Montessori and most of the kids go onto nonMobtessori by first grade I would worry more if most kids stay in Montrssori, if most go to public or parochial then in a sense they have to somewhat teach to prepare them.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • I am a Montessori preschool teacher. I agree with pp, the transition from a traditional preschool program is rough for some too.

I also majored in elementary education and did some interning in a traditional school. Like pp touched on, the biggest challenge will probably be the lack of independence, lack of personalized lessons and adjusting to so much time sitting in a desk rather than freely moving around the room. In my opinion though, these things will not outweigh the benefits of a good early Montessori experience. The whole concept is to empower kids to want to learn because they love it, not because they have to. A good educational foundation can nurture that regardless of a change down the line.
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks everyone.  Sorry for delay in writing back with Hurricane and all I forgot about it.  I feel really sad for the little girl with the treasure chest I know she broke a rule and all but come on.  I think I going to tour both and observe to see which we think will be best for DD.  DD is already pretty independent and that concerns me because while I think fostering that is great, I am worried she won't sit still in traditional school when the time comes. 

• imageLittlejen22:
    I LOVE our Montessori preschool. My only issues with DS transitioning to public Kindergarten has really been that he is way advanced because of what he did in Montessori. He said it took a little bit of time to get used to raising hands and not going around choosing his work but honestly they are 5 and adjust. As long as it is a wellrounded Montessori and most of the kids go onto nonMobtessori by first grade I would worry more if most kids stay in Montrssori, if most go to public or parochial then in a sense they have to somewhat teach to prepare them.

good point one of the schools is a pre-K-5 and the other is only preschool/K thanks for the input

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"