VBAC

Hospital policy on VBAC

So, I did my L&D tour at the hospital they are sending me for my VBAC. While there the tour guide told me what one of their policies are for VBACs. Apparently, if I make it to full dilation and get to the pushing phase they wheel me into the OR to deliver the baby. This is so not cool with me. I wanted a normal experience. Not to be treated like a ticking time bomb for the 1% chance of uterine rupture.

However, I gotta ask. Before I try to fight this. Is this normal policy for VBACs? I mean my hospital has a 90% VBAC success rate. I just wanted to stay in my room. Thanks!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Hospital policy on VBAC

• I've never heard that before! Wtf! I wouldn't want that at all.
  • I've only heard of one person VBACing in the OR - but there were more serious circumstances surrounding her delivery than just a VBAC.

It is not policy in my hospital.  It sounds extremely overkill.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Never heard of this before.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have not heard of that and did not have to do that for my VBAC.  The way it was worded it was almost as if they said, "In the unlikely event that you get to 10 cm, we are still going to put you in a surgical setting to mess with you."
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • imageMAprincess:
    I have not heard of that and did not have to do that for my VBAC.  The way it was worded it was almost as if they said, "In the unlikely event that you get to 10 cm, we are still going to put you in a surgical setting to mess with you."

It's the weirdest thing and I am just not cool with it at all. I will talk to my docs to make sure that I don't have to get moved when it's time to push. It seems so counter productive.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageNana_Osaki06:

imageMAprincess:
    I have not heard of that and did not have to do that for my VBAC.  The way it was worded it was almost as if they said, "In the unlikely event that you get to 10 cm, we are still going to put you in a surgical setting to mess with you."

It's the weirdest thing and I am just not cool with it at all. I will talk to my docs to make sure that I don't have to get moved when it's time to push. It seems so counter productive.

Time for a new hospital, sorry. Not standard and/or supportive of VBAC.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagenosoup4u:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageMAprincess:

This is the VBAC hospital. Period.

• imageNana_Osaki06:
    imagenosoup4u:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

imageMAprincess:

I have heard of this, but like a PP said, there were other circumstances involved. Maybe you could just not be in a place where they can move you (like the bed that has wheels) and make sure that your SO is prepared to be your advocate if they try to push it or pressure you to move to a different room. If you refuse to move to the OR, I really can't see how they can make you, short of physically picking you up and moving you, which seems unlikely. I wish I had better advice. :/

A woman's life is nine parts mess to one part magic, you'll learn that soon enough...and the parts that look like magic turn out to be the messiest of all.
  • I have never really heard of this before unless someone is having multiples vaginally.  Now I do know tha they have an OR empty and set up for you...just in case.  However, I didn't think you had to deliver there.  However...even if you have a successful VBAC in an OR...it is still better than a C-Section.  I would just try to look at the positives over the one small negative.  I HATED my section and would pretty much do anything my DR or hospital suggested for me to VBAC.

We have been looking into this stuff lately too.  We plan on TTC in like a year and a 1/2 and our local hospital doesn't allow VBAC's at all!  We have to change doctors and go out of state (30 min away) to a VBAC hospital.  So I am going to have to do what they suggest in order to make it as successful as possible.  Good thing is that the VBAC hospital is listed in the top 25 hospitals in the entire US...so I will feel good there anyway!

Good luck with whatever you decide and whatever happens...I hope you are able to VBAC...I know how important it is to me, so I understand your feeling.

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• imageNana_Osaki06:
    imagenosoup4u:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

Ugh, that sucks. I would have a very frank discussion with your doctors about it, then. Maybe even take literature (like ACOG bulletins) about how VBAC isn't really risky enough to require being in the OR.

I think they *can* physically shuttle you down to the OR if they want to, unfortunately. But I would fight them on this. Do you have any other restrictions for labor (have to stay in bed, IV, etc.)?

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• imagenosoup4u:
    imageNana_Osaki06:
    imagenosoup4u:
    imageNana_Osaki06:

Ugh, that sucks. I would have a very frank discussion with your doctors about it, then. Maybe even take literature (like ACOG bulletins) about how VBAC isn't really risky enough to require being in the OR.

I think they *can* physically shuttle you down to the OR if they want to, unfortunately. But I would fight them on this. Do you have any other restrictions for labor (have to stay in bed, IV, etc.)?

No restrictions. I have had my whole natural birth plan approved. I just need to talk to my doc about.
  • Definitely talk to your OB. "Rules" are not always really "rules".

When I had my vbac, I wanted some juice. Nurse 1 says flat out, "no, that's not allowed". Nurse 2 turned to her and said, she's Dr X's patient. Nurse 1 suddenly changed her tune, "Oh! Well, lets call him and see, he'll probably allow it."

And it wasn't that my OB had that much pull, it's just that his rules for what is allowable are slightly different than the other OBs at the hospital.

The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"