C-sections
Options

Breastfeeding after scheduled C/S

This may have been asked before but...

Did you have any issues breastfeeding after your scheduled C/S?  Did your milk come in soon after delivery?

I was induced with my first, labored for hours and ended up with a C/S and didn't have any issues breastfeeding.  Just wondering if it's different with a scheduled C/S because the hormones aren't really flowing like they are with labor.  Does that make sense?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breastfeeding after scheduled C/S

• Options
    I had a scheduled C-section a week ago and we are breastfeeding just fine.  Took about 3 days for my milk to come in just like the first time around.  DS nursed as soon as they could get him to me.  Good Luck with everything!
  • Options
    It has nothing to do with labor. You'll be just fine. My milk came in less than 48 hours after my scheduled c/s and nursing went very well. DD2 will be 1 in 10 days and still going strong.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had 3 scheduled c-sections and this last c/s my water broke and I had my section 3 days early. Have not had any issues BFing at all. Am BFing baby #4........
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    I've had 3 c/s - 1 kindof emergency after my water broke no progress, 2 scheduled. All 3 times my milk came in around day 3. 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD nursed with no issues in recovery and my milk came in about 36 hours later. Much faster than with the first with an emergency CS after pushing for a few hours.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a scheduled c-section with DD, my milk came in around 3 days after she was born and we have a great nursing relationship.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options

I had a scheduled C/S for breech presentation... 

I was able to do skin to skin and breastfeed in the recovery room (30 minutes or so after he was born). This is dumb, but I was surprised there was colostrum there already (I had zero leaking during my pg), but apparently that's just how it works. 

He was born early Thursday morning, milk came in with a vengeance (major engorgement issues) early Sunday morning. 

DS1 : 10/2012
    Due with B/G Twins July 2015
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  This is very helpful!
  • Options
    I was scheduled and breast feeding is going great.  Milk was fully in by the time I got home.  I never went into labor because my daughter was a complete breech - never dilated, had contractions, etc. - everything was still fine. 
  • Options
    My milk came in four days later. I actually pumped colostrum in the hospital because the baby had latch and blood sugar issues and they wanted to give him formula. The LC wasn't there on the weekend so I did what I could but was fine when I went home.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No issues here, either.  My milk came in on day 2 in full blast, the nurses were shocked at how fast it came in and how much I was producing lol.. I think it was because I drank a TON of water while I still had the catheter in.. like.. a TON of water.   Also, I didn't even get to hold DS until almost 2 hours after the operation and didn't get to try to breastfeed until about 4 hours after.  Didn't have any problems :)  Your milk production is triggered - I think, I haven't research it, just heard - by your placenta coming out.. not labor. 
  • Options
    My milk actually came in faster the second time...around day 2 or 3.  It was a scheduled c-section.  The first c-section was after a 24 hour induction/labor process and my milk didn't come in until day 4 or 5. 
  • Options

With DS my milk came in about 4 days after the CS and had supply issues.

I have since found out that having thyroid problems (Hypo) can cause this.

Poor DS lost so much weight in hospital the Paedi was reluctant to allow us to leave.

• Options
    I had a scheduled c/s. nursing worked out fine. In fact, I'd like to wean, but 14 mths later, he's still not ready.
  • Options
    No issues breastfeeding.  Just the usual getting the latch correct, nipple soreness, etc.  My milk came in at day 3 I think.  I had a schedule c/s.  The hormones you are referring to are released once placenta is expelled so it doesn't matter if you labored or not.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Options
    The way that milk production works is based on hormones triggered by the placenta leaving your body, so a scheduled c/s will not impact that part any differently as far as I know. Once the placenta leaves, your body is signaled to produce milk and it usually shows up in ~3 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"