Adoption

Working Full time, can I foster?

Hi everyone. My husband and I are considering becoming foster parents. We both work full time. I get home around 5 every day.

If we find a great baby-sitter (maybe a college age student), do you think we could foster to adopt?

Anyone in a similar situation? Any adivce or tips? I'm concerned about all the doctor's visits that may happen in the first month.

Me 33. DH 32. TTC Since 6/2011. 12/2012-m/c, CP. DH: MFI. CCT/HSG/day 3 blood work-all nl. IVF#1 ER- 8/7/12, ET- 8/10. beta 8/25 neg, I did not respond as expected. AMH: 0.88. IVF#2 BCP-10/19. Micro flare Lupron-Nov: It's a bust. IVF#3 Planned for Feb '13 with a long lupron protocol ON OUR OWN!!! BFP- 1/12/13. Yay! EDD 9/18, now EDD 9/25

Re: Working Full time, can I foster?

• It is definitely possible. I am a SW, and we have many working parents. I will say that foster children often have many appointments, and people that need to see the children at their home. Is there a possibility one of you could do some flex hours to be home sooner a few days per week?

Having a babysitter or trusted family member may also be a good idea. But check with your state about babysitter rules. Some need a background check, and some require full home studies.

Idk how this varies, but in MA we have "hotline" homes for emergency after hours placement. The children are generally picked up by the SW in the am. Sometimes an option for people with strict work schedules.
    Adoption Blog Updated 2/15
  • Ditto PP. The only care givers we can use are ones that have been background and fingerprinted by the state. We both work FT and the kids are in daycare. I do have to say I have a ton of flexibility with my job so I have time to take them to the Dr, early intervention, meeting a case worker early, GAL, etc.  I have said this on the board a few times the amount of appointments for foster kids really shocked us. They didn't really disclose all that in training. Most of the caseworkers are flexible and can come see kids in the evening, or really early if needed. You can do it working full time but just know it does take juggling. It is 100% worth it to us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks. We have attended orientation. The case manager at orientation said it was do-able but her facial expression seemed otherwise.

I'm currently part-time (supposed to switch to full time in two months) and my H & I will have to discuss whether staying with part-time is an option.

We could definitely use a local daycare and a babysitter (our county does do background checks) from 3-5pm but the doctor's visits are definitely a concern.

Me 33. DH 32. TTC Since 6/2011. 12/2012-m/c, CP. DH: MFI. CCT/HSG/day 3 blood work-all nl. IVF#1 ER- 8/7/12, ET- 8/10. beta 8/25 neg, I did not respond as expected. AMH: 0.88. IVF#2 BCP-10/19. Micro flare Lupron-Nov: It's a bust. IVF#3 Planned for Feb '13 with a long lupron protocol ON OUR OWN!!! BFP- 1/12/13. Yay! EDD 9/18, now EDD 9/25
  • My husband and I work fulltime and foster two children.  I am a teacher and I was off during the summer when we first got the placement which was helpful because at first there were a ton of appointments.  My husband also has a flexible job which is a great help.  A good majority of the people in our training class were families where both parents were employed fulltime.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• We're applying to be foster care parents and we both work full time, however, I have a lot of flexibility in my job and when I set my work appointments, so this is going to help me when it comes to scheduling appointments for our future foster children.  In Indiana, before you even have the home study, you have to list where you intend on sending your foster children as well as two back-up options.  You are allowed to use an unlicensed individual, but they have to go through background checks in order for you to list them.

TTC since Aug 2011. BFP #1 on 10/28/2011 EDD of 07/02/2012 Natural MC on 11/22/2012  BFP #2 on 10/28/2012  EDD of 7/13/13  Judah Ari born on 7/11/13.

I love my rainbow baby!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • you absolutely can!  My spouse and I both work FT and did foster to adopt for 3 kiddos.

It will require flexibility and juggling - but that is always required of working parents.  I'd recommend saving up PTO/vacation time now and speaking to your work about what flexibility might be available for the first month or so.   

• It is def possible.  DH and I also work full-time.  We have two foster children now that we will finalize adoption with in January!

Hopefully one or both of you have some flexibility at work though.  Your children will (more than likely) have more appointments than most children.  Our agency has workers that are willing to help out with transportation to and from appointments.  We also are fortunate to have a support system of family, friends and a network of foster parents.

Best wishes! 

• Thanks everyone!

Our support network is really slim but we can work on building it up :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"