3rd Trimester
Options

Help needed: Iron supplements

I went for my Glucose Screening Test and along with that I got my iron levels checked a week ago and I just found out that I was anemic. One of the nurses left a voicemail saying to get an iron supplement called Slow-Fe and take it twice a day. After looking at numerous pharmacies I found out that it is no longer available nationwide. I called the nurse back and she said that I could use any iron supplements but she never said anything about a change in dosage. Does anyone know an iron supplement with the same mg of ferrous sulfate that was in Slow-Fe? TIA! Smile

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Help needed: Iron supplements

• Options

I was told to take iron 3 times a day and it was recommended that I take Ferrous Gluconate which is supposed to be easy on the tummy. 

Mine are 27mg and the brand name is Fergon.  I got them at Rite Aid.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    'Til He returns, or calls me home,
    Here in the power of Christ I stand.
  • Options

You need to call them back up, or ask a pharmacist.

There are two different types of Iron supplements. 

You have elemental, which is basically your pure Iron. (A pill of these is usually around 18mg each.)

The others (ferrous sulfate), which has a higher mg per tablet, is not 'pure absorb-able' iron.  So, to get a correct amount, you need to know the mg's and which type the Slow-Fe/your recommendation was, and then you can find what you need. It is dangerous, to think "Oh, this would have me taking 100mgs a day so I need 100 mgs a day of this other brand." You could in reality be going from 20mgs elemental ( how much you get from 100mg Ferrous Sulfate) to taking 100mgs of elemental. Obviously, that's a HUGE increase.

(I believe the ratio is 5 to 1. So for every 5mgs of ferrous supplement you are getting 1 mg of elemental. My husband is not home to double check with him, but I'm pretty sure this is correct.)

So, yes. PLEASE ask the pharmacist. They will tell you. :) 

2/12: 100 mg Clomid + Bravelle last minute+ back to back IUI. BFN
    3/12 150mg Clomid + B2B IUI =BFP!! TWINS!
    Vanishing twin at week 6
    Tater-tot born January 3rd 2013

2 IUI's in 2016- BFN
    3 IUI's in 2017- BFN
    8/17 IUI BFP!!!!!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I couldn't find the Slow-Fe either, but there was a generic version of it at Meijer. I'm assuming other stores offer them as well. If that's what you were told to get, look for another slow release Iron supplement. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My OB told me to get Vitron C which is a high potency iron supplement with vitamin C to help body absorb iron from food as well. You can take 1-2 pills per day (each pill is 125mg of vitamin C and 65mg of elemental iron). I could only find this at Rite Aid.
  • Options
    I'd probably ask the pharmacist what's closest to the brand that was recommended or what's best for a pregnant woman.  Honestly, pharmacists are sometimes more knowledgeable about the medications and supplements.  Good luck!
  • Options
    I didn't want to mess with brand or dosage, so I asked for a script to be called in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I highly recommend a liquid iron. I took it my last pregnancy and just got it again after my glucose screening and blood draw coming back that I was low on iron. It is absorbed easily and I had no constipation problems or nausea problems.  The one I use is called Floradix Iron + Herbs.  LOVE it.  I totally feel that I have more energy about 30 or 45 minutes after taking it too.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

I am taking feosol because I couldn't stomach the generic brand. The generic was making me horribly dizzy, and my doc thought it might be the type of iron in the pill. She recommended feosol, and I chose the natural release one. Sooo great! No constipation issues either! 45mg  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ask your pharmacist :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"