3rd Trimester
Options

breast pump.

So my husband called our insurance yesterday for a bill we received & while he was on the phone he was asking about when we have our child. We were told a few weeks ago that a breast pump will be covered. Turns out, it's manual only! We can get it from the hospital or the store & they will reimburse us. I'm just a little disappointed because I really wanted to try pumping. But I don't have the money to spend on a $200 plus pump. :(  Should I still go for a manual anyway since they pay for it?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image

Re: breast pump.

• Options

I think I would call back and ask for more specifics. Will they cover any manual? Will they cover any pump, but only up to a certain price? If your doctor writes you a prescription for a certain pump, does that make a difference.

Because this coverage is new to many policies, it's not unusual to get mixed messages, and its worth your time to call back and question a few times. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I agree to call back and check your written benefits package for clarification.  If this is still true would still get the manual.  My electric converted to a manual and I did get plenty of use.  If you will be going back to work invest in the electric.  $200 initial investment is still a lot less than what formula will cost.

FWIW I used this pump and it was nice.  You can probably find it cheaper too.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-AVENT-Free-Electric-Breast/dp/B004HFQOLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351696602&sr=8-1&keywords=avent+isis+iq+duo+twin+electric+pump

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My insurance only covers manual as well. I would take them up on it. Plenty of people use manual pumps just fine. Sure electric might be faster but you can make do with a manual. Also look into renting. I wasn't sure about pumping & didn't want to invest the $$. It was $40/mo to rent from the hospital.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagebearkatjen:

I think I would call back and ask for more specifics. Will they cover any manual? Will they cover any pump, but only up to a certain price? If your doctor writes you a prescription for a certain pump, does that make a difference.

Because this coverage is new to many policies, it's not unusual to get mixed messages, and its worth your time to call back and question a few times. 

My husband said there wasn't a price limit. I'm not sure about the other questions.

I guess I'll have to call back and ask again.

Any recommendations for a manual pump since they will pay for it? 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers image
  • Options
    They gave me a Medela manual pump for free in the hospital. It wasn't stellar, but worked in a pinch.
    imageimage
  • Options

They may have a specific pump they give you.  I did like my Avent manual though.  My sister worked 2 days a week and used an Avent manual as well.

• Options
    If that's all they cover, I would definetely take it even if you have an electric one. You never know.. the power may go out.. or your pump breaks suddenly; seriously, anything can happen.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a manual with DD and was able to build up quite a stash with it.  I would take it - it's better than nothing, right?  You should also check Craigslist for pumps.  I've seen brand-new, never used, still in the sealed packaging pumps go for less than half price on there.  Sometimes people get them as gifts or get a free one and decide to sell it before using it. 

Also, the Ameda Purely Yours is very highly rated and is around $125 on Amazon.

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

• Options
    Check with your hospital first.  My hopsital sent me home with a really nice manual Medela pump.  I only used it a few times since it's such a PITA but I didn't ask for it and it was free!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"