High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

AFP Level slighty above normal

Hey Bumpies-

I recently had a blood test to measure my AFP levels. I got the call yesterday that said it is at 2.6 (which is slightly above normal) of course i freaked out as this could or could not mean my baby has Spina Bifida. My Dr. assured me that it doesn't mean anything and that the test can be scewed for many reason.  Let me say that did not ease my mind. My hubby and i have tried almost 4 long and stressful years to get PG and hearing even the slightest bit of not so great news is rather overwhelming. We have a Dr appt to for a u/s to check and make sure the spine looks ok, fingers crossed and then another blood test.

I just want to reach out and see if there is any feedback in regards to AFP levels and if anyone is experiencing the same thing.

Re: AFP Level slighty above normal

• Options
    Same situation over here. Mine was a 2.15 but in my state the cut off is 2, your cut off must be 2.5 so we are almost in the same exact boat! I had the level 2 u/s which was good, and I declined the amnio and they wouldn't re draw my blood. This was almost 6 weeks ago and I'm feeling much better about everything.
    Although now I am considered high risk for what an elevated afp brings, did they say the same to you? My dr said "elevated is elevated" in terms of pregnancy complications such as PTL which I'm already at risk for anyway because DD was early, IUGR, IUFD and placenta issues. I will get growth u/s every 4 weeks and two NSTs a week starting at 32 weeks to make sure the baby is fine.
    Hang in there! It took a good two weeks before I wasn't terribly upset anymore, and I know what your going through! Good luck on your u/s!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"