Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Have any Canadians properly brought strollers in from the US?

I know there is a list of the requirements to have a US stroller and Canada, but it still seems like a pain.  But DH is pushing me to get stroller in the US - the same stroller I'm looking at in Canada is $100 cheaper on a US website.

so how do I do this? 

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
imageimage

Re: Have any Canadians properly brought strollers in from the US?

• Options
    Yep. It was a nonissue. I just made sure I had the instructions in French printed out (which no one ever checked).Especially if it's a stroller that they sell in Canada I think you are unlikely to have issues (unlike carseats, where I would never try to get one in the US despite the price difference).The only thing to consider is duty, you have to be in the US a certain number of days to have a limit big enough depending on how expensive e stroller is.
  • Options
    US stores are not supposed to ship strollers to Canada. Customs has the right to take them away. If you were going to pick it up yourself in the US I would say go for it, but I personally don't think you should ship it. Plus the shipping cost will be high and you could be charged duties. Not worth it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Wouldn't be shipping from the US; my DHs family is American and would buy.  Duty won't be an issue either. 

imageimage
  • Options

imageGirlWithTheMostCake:
    US stores are not supposed to ship strollers to Canada. Customs has the right to take them away. If you were going to pick it up yourself in the US I would say go for it, but I personally don't think you should ship it. Plus the shipping cost will be high and you could be charged duties. Not worth it.
    You're thinking car seats or baby walkers. Otherwise, link please. Strollers aren't on the prohibited list, just the regulated.

I've shipped two across the border. Both brands were available here, but out of stock and not expected to refill anytime soon. No problems. I've also had one shipped in from Peg Perego from Italy, since the stroller I wanted wasn't in the Canadian line up. I also brought an umbrella stroller in Florida and brought it back. It was identical to the Canadian version at the same store. I did ask the manufacturers of the strollers I sold for the French warning stickers though, because I needed them to sell and be compliant.

ETA: Watch the shipping costs. I was looking at getting a Cruz or Versa in the US because they were released earlier, or a Mutsy Evo, but went with a different stroller. If you can get someone to bring it, it's easier. (Sorry, just read that your dh can bring it. I would do it then).

Oh, and for additional info:

Strollers

• The following information must be permanently affixed to the product, in English and French:
      • name and place of business of manufacturer or importer;
      • model name or number;
      • year and month of manufacture;
      • warning statements, in English and French, about never leaving a child unattended; using the lap belt; and using the parcel bag only as recommended by the manufacturer.
    • The stroller must have a braking device in working order.
    • The stroller must have a lap belt and crotch strap attached to the frame or upholstery.
    • Strollers that fold must lock automatically when opened to prevent the product from folding by itself.
    • The stroller must have, in English and French, instructions for assembly, use, maintenance, and safety.

For more information, contact Consumer Product Safety, Health Canada:
    1-866-662-0666 (within Canada and the United States), 613-952-1014,
    or e-mail cps-spc@hc-sc.gc.ca,
    or visit Information for Canadians Travelling Outside of Canada www.healthcanada.gc.ca/travellingcanadians.

As found on:

https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/cons/consumer_prod-consommation-eng.php

• Options

This is SO strange to me.

So if i was visiting Canda for a weekend and had my stroller in the trunk, would customs hassle me about it?  Or if I'm out walking around with my "American stroller" would someone hassle me about not having a French warning label?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Jen, no, it's for strollers that are here permanently.And I actually spoke with someone from customs before we ordered our stroller, so no they don't have the right to take it, as long as it meets the requirements in the link!
  • Options

I bought my stroller from Amazon and had it shipped to my US relatives. When we crossed the border we claimed it and paid duty on it. No hassle from customs.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I know you can't buy car seats from the states but I never heard anything about strollers.
    I just ordered a stroller from amazon and had it shipped to my friends in the states I will be picking it up while on vacation.

I do believe in the near future the will be standardizing the safety requirements for things like car seats so they will be the same on both sides of the border..

Do they still sell walkers in the states?
  • Options

imagewatergirl21:
    I know you can't buy car seats from the states but I never heard anything about strollers. I just ordered a stroller from amazon and had it shipped to my friends in the states I will be picking it up while on vacation. I do believe in the near future the will be standardizing the safety requirements for things like car seats so they will be the same on both sides of the border.. Do they still sell walkers in the states?

Yes, they still sell walkers in the US.  These are on the list of prohibited items in Canada.

Strollers are on the Restricted List.

Please refer to the following government site:  https://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/cons/consumer_prod-consommation-eng.php

imageimage
  • Options
    we bought a stroller in the US last year. we got pulled over for a random check by customs, and they didn't say anything about the stroller. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"