Natural Birth
Options

Doula Blog

Hi ladies!  I was hoping this would be a good place to ask for some advice for my new blog.  I don't mean to be an AW by sharing it (link in sig), rather, I'd like to know what kinds of things you'd be interested in reading about regarding natural birth.  If you're new to all this stuff, what kinds of questions are you googling?  What's on your mind that you'd like to read or take part in a discussion about?  I started this blog really for myself, to chronicle my journey to becoming a doula, but if I could inspire/encourage/help mamas along the way I'd certainly like to!  Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

Re: Doula Blog

• Options
    The doula I used for my birth had a blog.  It was great because I got to know her as a person before we meet so I felt like she would be a good match for me. Her blog covered a variety of topics and they were all very informative, especially for a mom to be. She covered natural remedies for morning sickness, the cons of cervical checks, labor positions, failure to progress, info on induction, pain coping techniques, what you can do with your placenta etc.  She also wrote about her natural birth and how she felt before, during, and after. I really enjoyed reading her blog and I think these topics would be of interest to any mama who is pursuing a natural birth.
  • Options

As well as what pp said. Some questions that are frequently asked on this board: How to get your DH on board with a natural birth? How to deal with unsupportive family and friends? What questions to ask when interviewing a MW? Recommended books/websites?

I would think birth stories would be good to read too, especially if you have clients who are happy to share their birth experiences. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Great question! let me tell you a little about me... maybe you'll get some ideas?  I am 33 weeks, but my husband and I didnt decide to go natural til about 26 weeks.  It is my first baby.  I had a miscarriage before this one at about 8 weeks.  Talking about miscarriage would be a good topic.  I felt so sad for a while, but I just think of it as God's way and he knows best. 

My hubby and I were very unhappy with my OB.  I just assumed I would have a medicated, hospital birth.  I started to do more research and my husband voiced his opinion that he thinks we should go natural since that is the way it is intended to be. I wish I would have done my research sooner and probably would have gone with a midwife, maybe even a birthing center.  But at 30 weeks it was too late to switch to a midwife.  We did, however, switch OBs.  Our original one never saw us at appointments (always a nurse practicioner) and every conversation seemed to end talking about c-section and induction.  If I went 1 day over my due date they would want to induce me.  If my baby measured larger than 9 1/2 pounds they were going to want to c-section me.  They told me these things! and it scared the crap out of me!! They knew I wanted to go natural and the fact that they threw around the idea of induction and c-section so much scared me.  So we switched to a much more natural friendly doctor and are much happier. 

We also considered using a doula.  We are going to pass on it this time, but definately in the future I am interested.  I think it will be a very intimate and special time for my husband and I and that is why we have decided to go without one.  Things I google:  preterm birth, mucus plug/vaginal discharge, exercising when pregnant, eating healthy, fundal measurement (too small, too big - they say I measure big, oh well), 3D ultra sound (that was fun), safe car seats, benefit of breastfeeding, prenatal meditation.  Those are just a few.  maybe this helped a little?  sorry it is so long!!  but I like for people to know that you can switch OBs!! We didnt switch til 30 weeks but we are so glad we did!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"