Breastfeeding

green poop..gross i know, but need advice

this is TMI but im a FTM and need advice.. very confused. my LO has been having more green poops than yellow the past few days.   she also poops alot and when she goes you can see it in her face.   it also sounds very loose (sorry. i know its gross). 

i havent had dairy the past 2 days and we are getting more greens  than yellow.  we had some yellows prior to this, although i know it takes a while for dairy to be out of my system. she also chokes from time to time when BF so i am not sure if this is a hindmilk/foremilk issue.  i keep her on until she latches off.. usually 20-25 min before offering the other.  she also has "baby acne" which has gotten worse the past few days.  dr says its normal.

any advice or signs to know if it is hindmilk/let down issue or dairy? 

eliminating all dairy is hard.. i can do milk..cheese etc.. but most things have some traces of dairy.  i am not sure if this is dairy related or what. my lactation lady said to try it for a few weeks.   Thanks in advance.

Re: green poop..gross i know, but need advice

• could the baby acne be a rash?  it is worse than it was when the dr saw her a few days ago.. but he said it could get worse

how does block feeding work as far as getting engorged..pumping...how lonf to feed on one breast etc?  i feed her every 2-3 hours.  

last week i was eating dairy and she was gassy..waking up every hour during the day and fussy...but poop was yellow.  however we aslo misunderstood gas signs (arching back) as hunger and kept feeding her. that couldve been a part of it 2.

• I went through this, too. Mine was a fore/hind milk imbalance. I started block feeding. I still do that. Her poops went all yellow within a few days.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagebubble515:

could the baby acne be a rash?  it is worse than it was when the dr saw her a few days ago.. but he said it could get worse

how does block feeding work as far as getting engorged..pumping...how lonf to feed on one breast etc?  i feed her every 2-3 hours.  

last week i was eating dairy and she was gassy..waking up every hour during the day and fussy...but poop was yellow.  however we aslo misunderstood gas signs (arching back) as hunger and kept feeding her. that couldve been a part of it 2.

It's probably not dairy. With the block feeding, you don't switch a boob during a feed or every other feed. Keep LO on 1 boob til she's done, however long that takes. Then, come time for the next feed, put her that same boob til she's done. Then do 2 feeds on the other boob. Don't pump--it'll increase your supply. If you need to, hand express to relieve discomfort, but try not to express a lot.

• i am going to tryit tomorrow..should the poops become yellow right away or does it take time?  and how long does block feeding last? the entire time i am going to breastfeed or just for a period of time?

when i first started BF the lactation lady had me pumping after every feed for the most part.. i was pumping like 4 to 6 oz.  i did that for about a week or so.  i pump now once a day if that.  i pumped yesterday for 20 minutes and got 4.5 ounces with both.

im a clueless ftm!

• You might find this web resource helpful:

https://kellymom.com/

Lit has great info on all of the things you have questions about.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is no need to pump that much every day unless you plan to be away from baby for long periods of time of if you are feeding to replace feelings. My guess is that it is not dairy at all but an issue of oversupply. Gradually stop pumping and let LO eat from one side each feeding and hopefully the issue will go away. Good luck :)
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • just refused to breastfeed..screaming after she was gulping suoer fast for 30 seconds. I tried to hand express and it was spraying out like crazy. So it seems like it is a let down issue.. I am ready to quit to be honest. This is so stressful.
  • imagebubble515:
    just refused to breastfeed..screaming after she was gulping suoer fast for 30 seconds. I tried to hand express and it was spraying out like crazy. So it seems like it is a let down issue.. I am ready to quit to be honest. This is so stressful.

Lean back when you nurse, it'll slow the flow of milk. Or unlatch LO when your  milk letsdown and let it spray into a burp cloth or a bottle. When the slow flows, latch LO back on. I had an oversupply at first and had to block feed for several days to get my supply under control. I know this is frustrating, but it's fixable. And quitting will be very hard because you'd have to do it gradually to avoid clogged ducts and possible mastitis.

Feed LO from your left side for 2 or 3 feedings in a row. Then feed her from the right side for 2 or 3 feedings in a row. If the side you're not feeding from gets engorged and you're uncomfortable, hand express of pump just until you're comfortable. You don't want to pump very much, otherwise your body will keep making lots of milk.

Not sure why your LC told you to pump after every feeding, as that can lead to an oversupply. Normally just feeding on demand is enough stimulation to establish a healthy milk supply.  

Here's info from kellymom about oversupply and overactive letdown:

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/ 

I know it's so hard when feedings become stressful, but hang in there. The link above gives you instructions for fixing this.  

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Ditto what others said. You should notice a difference within a few days. Not sure why that LC told you to pump!
  • I was told the same thing.  My son also had occasionally mucousy stools, and had blood once or twice.  I tried a total elimination diet and it changed nothing and I did not have any issues with oversupply or an obvious foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.  The pediatrician encouraged me not to over analyze DS's stools and gas, and to understand that younger infants have an immature digestive system that is prone to being finicky.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • not sure why she had me pump..we had issues the first few days due to tongue tying so maybe thats why? I listened to her as a ftm. Im trying the block feeding today..no poop yet. How long does it take for my supply to be balanced and not block feed typically...go back to offering both breasts in a feed? Or is it something you alway do? This has been so confusing so thank you for your help! I keep getting mixed advice...20 min on each boob tops...keep her on as long as she wants on demand..only feed her every 2 hrs. I lost my mind lol but this help
  • then latch baby on and keep baby on just that side only for that feeding. if they fuss, take them off burp them really really well for several minutes and reoffer the same side. use breast compressions and massage if they start to complain about a slow flow of milk

questions...

what constitutes a feeding?  stupid question im sure.. but sometimes she clusters.. eats for 5..falls alseep for ten minutes.. she did this for an hour today   so i kept putting her back on that same boob.   was this right?

i spoke to a lactation lady today and she said to offer the same boob within the hour.  over an hour offer the other boob.  so im trying to do that.  

i also feed on demand and dont wake her up..so i was going to give the boob i left off with.  it this  right?  for example. she sleeps 5 hrs at night (im lucky so far)

confused breastfeeding first time mom.. i had yellow poops in the beginning and then i started changing stuff.. now i dont remember what it was that i did:(

• i called the hospital so a differ lady. Baby is a month old. So should i do 2 hours and do i time it with the breaks or the time she actually sucks adding it up ? Thank u so much! Im so clueles
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"