Parenting after a Loss
Options

Update: why won't my child eat???

Update: we didn't get to see our regular pedi and didnt really like the one we saw.  DH and I have read a lot about silent reflux and asked her about it, but she just kept saying "well he isn't spitting up..."  So she didn't find anything wrong and basically told us to try this anti spit up formula for two days and if that worked then we could try medication.  I'm not happy with this obviously I haven't been strapped to a pump for weeks to feed him formula.  We are seeing our regular pedi Friday to follow up.  So for now we will try this formula when he won't take BM and hope we get a real answer/solution on Friday.  He did have a massive poop today so maybe that was upsetting him, but he hadn't gone a long time without one or anything.   He is still perfectly calm/happy when he is full and not eating...the problem is only while he is eating or if he doesn't get enough because he won't eat.

First he wouldn't breastfeed so I EP'd...that worked for a while but then he started preferring formula and screaming at breastmilk.  So we gave him mostly breastmilk and formula when he was cranky.  Now if he gets cranky he won't eat anything without screaming  and it's happening more frequently.  He won't eat so he won't sleep and its just a bad situation.  I even put him on my boob like ALL effing morning thinking he was trying to tell us he didn't want bottles.  He came off still hungry and not wanting to eat anything.  I'm losing my damn mind.  So much for going out on Halloween.  We have a pedi appt at 2 to see if they can find some kind of cause and I hope to God they do.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Married the love of my life 7/11/09 - Our first baby, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping 10/25/11 at 33 weeks - Our second baby, BFP 2/4/12, welcome to the world Raylan! Holy Moly, BPF 2/4/14, please be safe and sound little one!

My Blog

Re: Update: why won't my child eat???

• Options
    Now he is totally asleep in his bouncy seat....seriously, wtf.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

Married the love of my life 7/11/09 - Our first baby, Peyton Mark, was born sleeping 10/25/11 at 33 weeks - Our second baby, BFP 2/4/12, welcome to the world Raylan! Holy Moly, BPF 2/4/14, please be safe and sound little one!

My Blog

• Options

(((Hugs)))  I'm sorry. 

Does he have colic?  Reflux?  Both can cause issues like that with eating.  

Are you eating milk?  Soy?  Both can irritate his stomach and GI track and come out in your BM.  Unfortunately, you'll have to eliminate both for a several days to several weeks to figure out if those are the culprit.  Most formulas are milk or soy based, so you'll have to eliminate those too to figure out a milk or soy intolerance.  I had to eliminate milk (and even hidden milk - meaning read your packages) for the first four months as it heightened his colic drastically.  Others have had to do milk and soy, which is very difficult to do if you eat anything processed.   

Another thought - is there anything in particular you're eating repeatedly before BFing him when he's completely refusing BM?  It could be something he doesn't like the taste of or something that is causing him stomach issues.  Common culprits are onions, caffeine and anything seriously fart producing.  

Also - is he arching his back when he cries?  That can be a reflux sign.  So can him having issues eating, sleeping or doing anything laying flat.  

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    **Hugs** I'm sorry sweetie. Other than what's already been mentioned, the only time E won't eat a lot (which is usually half of what he generally eats) is when he needs to have a BM and can't get it out. Good luck!

IMG_2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageSouthernBellaKS:
    **Hugs** I'm sorry sweetie. Other than what's already been mentioned, the only time E won't eat a lot (which is usually half of what he generally eats) is when he needs to have a BM and can't get it out. Good luck!

I forgot about that, but she's right.  Constipation can cause them to quit eating much as they can only fit so much.  

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    oh man! hugs. could it be your letdown is just too much when you try to BF? I hope they figure it out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Aw honey I'm sorry. I have no advice, but I hope the pedi can figure things out!

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options

It does sound sort of reflux-ish although I don't know why formula would be different vs bm besides if something you are eating/drinking is turning him off. DS turned into an evil monster whenever I ate garlic or anything spicy early on. Are you a coffee drinker? I think I remember in another post that he has a bigger problem during the day - are you taking in any caffeine?

Regardless I hope you get some relief soon - its so tough when they can't just say what is wrong! Hang in there!

• Options
    I was going to suggest everything Karen said. Sounds like maybe reflux or a sensitivity to something...or maybe he's overdue for a bm.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    I know this sounds silly, but have you read The Happiest Baby on the Block? It's Awesome and really helped me with DD. it gives lots of tips to soothe babies. It might help, give it a shot. Good luck!
    M/C Nov 9, 2011 at 11 weeks.... We love you & miss you Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Could this be more related to being overly tired more than anything?? 

Sorry you are going through this.  

• Options
    I think PPs have good advice, especially that he might need a poop...I don't have any new ideas but wanted to add some ((hugs)).
  • Options
    Any update yet? what did the pedi say?

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    I'm going to second the request for an update - how did the visit go?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Ugh. I'm sorry that pedi was such a jerk. Hopefully your regular pedi will be more attentive!

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    Ugh.  That sucks.  I guess the good thing is that you'll have your regular pedi on Friday and either one would move you to reflux meds if the new formula doesn't help.  It's weird to me that she wouldn't suggest you try an elimination diet first.
  • Options
    I was checking for an update, I hope they were able to figure something out for you and little man.  I agree with the silent reflux fwiw.
  • Options

My DS had silent reflux and it was effing maddening to have doctors give me the 'while he isn't spitting up' line.  It wasn't coming out because he was swallowing it again, it was coming UP for sure.  Andplusalso he was screaming in pain for HOURS on end towards the end of feedings and for up to three hours after.  I'd have had to see an internist to get the boy reflux meds, and by the time I got the referral he was growing out of refluxing. 

I'm so sorry you're dealing with it too.  It is so upsetting thing to KNOW there is something not right with your child but to be told nothing is wrong.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    I would look into the possibility that something in your diet is bothering your LO.  My guy started refusing the breast, he would pull off crying and screaming soon after latching.  After many weeks of trying to figure out what was going on we found out that he has MSPI (milk soy protein intolerance).  I had to completely remove all dairy and soy from my diet.

When you use formula what kind are you using?  Is it just a "regular" cow milk based formula?  Soy?  

Elimination Diets video: https://bit.ly/yL1gFN 

Hang in there!
    Rachel Mom to 3 boys Augustboy02 - Sensational Sensory Kid Decemberboy04 -former reflux baby Augustboy10 - MFPI baby
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"