3rd Trimester
Options

Please talk to me about a posterior cervix

This is my 2nd child.  I was told today that my cervix is extremely posterior and I'm having flash backs of my first labor.

Background:  First labor I was induced at 40+3.  It took 36 hrs for me to finally have my son because I was making such slow progress.  The doctor I'd been dealing with was this.close to giving into a csection but thankfully went off duty and I got a new dr who let me wait it out and I finally had a baby boy vaginally.

During my first labor.  I had to get an epi at 2cm and was so disappointed.   But my cervix was so posterior that just checking me sent me into so much pain I couldn't handle it anymore.  And they were talking of trying to break my water and whatnot.  The pain was unbearable.

Now this pregnancy - I was told today that my cervix was extremely posterior.  I asked the dr and he said that it was just the way my body is.  (After I mentioned it to him that the same thing happened last time).  He gave me no cause for concern, but I'm making myself crazy.

Can I expect to not go into labor on my own again?  Can I expect another long labor?  I'm already worried that they are going to try to force me into a csection if I don't progress once I'm at the hospital because my baby is so big (my son was 10lb9oz, dr estimated today that this one is of similar size).   While I've talked to my OB about not wanting a csection because of her size, my OB partners with other drs offices that I'm not familiar with (one of which from last time that wanted to do a csection) and I'm worried that I'll have to fight with them when I'm in labor.

I don't know - my mind is all over the place with this.

Any thoughts or experiences?  I see that having a posterior cervix is fairly common in pregnancy, but that it will slowly become aterior.  Mine didn't last time for a very very very long time...I'm worried that the same will happen this time.

FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family Bravado Bras at NurturedFamily.com Maya Wrap Baby Slings at Nurtured Family

Re: Please talk to me about a posterior cervix

• Options

I don't know about posterior cervix, but one of my thoughts was if the cervical checks are very painful I would definantly refuse at least some. Some women refuse all cervical checks during labor.

Was your baby also posterior facing? This can affect the amount of pressure that is placed on the cervix so that the cervix does not soften and open. Your body and baby might not have been ready for induction. This article talks about the bishop score and at the end talks about women being induced too early:

https://wellroundedmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/induction-math-importance-of-bishop.html

• Options
    I've heard its pretty common. I have an extremely posterior cervix as well however my induction went rather quickly with DS. My only issue (other than cervical checks) was feeling like I needed to go #2 all the time during intense contractions because of all the pressure back there. I don't think it will effect anything but how uncomfortable cervical checks are for me this time either. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    There is a score used by doctors to determine whether and induction is likely to work or not. The bishop score is a combination of things including the position of your cervix, it's condition and the position of your baby. I don't know why you were induced at 403, but you may have just not been ready to begin labor yet. The posterior position of the cervix is the norm in a pregnancy until you are ready to give birth. Your doctor obviously has much more experience assessing who is more posterior than another. I think if he wasn't concerned about it I would try not to be. I can imagine after having a difficult induction before however that a comment like that would cause a lot of anxiety. I had my first cervical check today at 394 and I'm posterior as well. I think it's just normal, but perhaps you just got lucky in the genetics game?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a posterior cervix and went into labor on my own. It didn't cause me a problem at all. It did become anterior right before I was fully dilated. I wouldn't have a c-section over the position of your cervix.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    BFP May 2017. 
    BFP July 2014. Low Progesterone. DS born by repeat c-section for breech presentation.
    BFP November 2011 TWINS!!!. Lost a twin at 7 weeks. DS born VBAC.
    BFP July 2009. DD born via c/section for breech presentation.
    BFP Jan. 2009. Missed miscarriage at 9 weeks.D&C March 2010
    December 2009 - Diagnosed with bicornuate uterus.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"