October 2012 Moms
Options

BF: Low supply...

So DS didn't return to his birthweight until he was 3 weeks old. At our 2 week appointment, my doctor suggested me supplement with formula. He said an oz per hour he has gone between feedings. He also put me on motillium, fenugreek and told me to eat oatmeal and drink lots of water.

After a few days, we cut back on the amount of formula because he kept spitting it up or didn't want it. We then were giving him 2 ounces after he breastfed a few times a day. Usually, 2 or 3 bottles at night and 1 or 2 in the day.

Anyway, today we found out he had gone from 9 lbs 2 oz to 9 lbs 14 oz in a week! Basically 40 grams a day instead of the recommended 20 to 30. My doctor says we can cut back on formula. Has anyone else had to supplement but then had to cut back? I am so excited but want to make sure he is getting enough.

I am going to see a LC tomorrow so I am hoping to get some answers on when he or she thinks we should be giving formula and if they think my supply has increased.

Sidenote: I STILL have 2 cracks or milk blisters on my nipples. I was told his latch was perfect in hospital so I am wondering if it needs help...

Thanks for listening! It is nice to get advice from you ladies or just hear that others are going through the same thing!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BF: Low supply...

• Options
    Way to go London!! I'm so glad things are better now! :)
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    I made rachelmichelle1 my bitch.
  • Options
    imagemeganole25:
    Glad to hear he's gaining weight!When you see the LC try to do a weighed feeding. It's great assurance to see how much he's actually getting.I hope things continue to improve!nbsp;

That's a great idea!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageellcore:
    Way to go London!! I'm so glad things are better now! :

Thanks hun! It was an awesome day!!
  • Options
    Glad everything is going well! :) Hope your LC visit is a success! :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

i could have written this post!

i have a LC coming this Saturday as I have moved to only pumping the last few days since my nipples are so cracked and bleeding.  i'm scared that i won't be able to keep up and i'm pumping every 2 hours.  i'm basically pumping as he eats so I have no back up :(  

good luck with your LC!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    | Olowalu, Maui ~ August 6, 2008 |
    | Family of 4 ~ April 2, 2011 |
    | Family of 5 - October 24, 2012 |
  • Options
    Are you ladies with nipple problems using the gel pads? I can't say enough about them as I had a lacerated nipple for over 6 wks with DD1 and I am pretty sure the gel pads are what saved me this time. The medela ones can be used for 6 days. GL!
    Birthday

• Options
    If your baby was initially spitting it up or not wanting the formula bottles you offered her, you did the good thing by following these signs and cutting down the amount of formula, your LO was letting you know he was full already. Our DD lost almost 1 lb after discharge so our pedi suggested supplementing only with 0.25oz after we offered her one breast, then the other, at each session. At DD's demand, we gradually increased the amount of formula at each session, now at two weeks she is getting about 15oz formula total a day plus whatever breastmilk she can get from me, and she is back to her birthweight plus some more.
    For your LO I would suggest going the opposite way, and gradually decrease the amount of Formula oz at each session, and look for his signs of hunger afterwards, if he is still hungry he will let you know before his next scheduled feeding.
    Hopefully your LC will be able to help! GL!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Don't stress and get some sleep and your supply will increase even more I'm sure!!
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMrs.G123:
    Are you ladies with nipple problems using the gel pads? I can't say enough about them as I had a lacerated nipple for over 6 wks with DD1 and I am pretty sure the gel pads are what saved me this time. The medela ones can be used for 6 days. GL!

I need to order these then - the ones I have only are good for one day.

My daughter freaking gave me blood blisters 2 nights ago and she's 6.5 weeks old. WTF???? Luckily we are attending a LLL meeting tonight, hopefully that will help.

To OP - glad to hear things are getting on track but I agree your doctor's advice seems a bit off (way too much formula). Good luck with everything! 

DD 9/15/12
  • Options

This is a little off topic, but I went through a similar thing so wanted to share some things !

*I remember you are another breech C/S mom. C/S babies have artificially high weights at birth from the crazy amount of fluids they pumped us with prior to our C/S. A C/S baby will lose more weight at first and take longer to get to their "birth weight" since their birth weights were higher than they would have been if we'd had a vaginal delivery.

*My baby is on track to not get back to birth weight until 3 weeks. My Pedi wasn't at all concerned and although this isn't "average" , she never recommended we supplement! We increased our feedings to every 2 hours starting last week and although my nipples hurt from 12 feedings a day, his weight gains have increased to 1 ounce per day without supplementing.

*We did a weighed feeding with a LC in the afternoon. My LO is only getting 2 ounces per feeding (recommended is 2.5 ounces for his age/weight), so I have been advised to eat more oatmeal, etc, but she said fenugreek, etc weren't necessary at this point. 

*Either way, I definitely second the PPs about talking to a LC instead of your pedi. Having your latch checked and doing a weighed feeding is awesome and very helpful.  

DS1 : 10/2012
    Due with B/G Twins July 2015
  • Options
    I had the same problem as you NYC girl. My ds was born 7lbs 12oz. His weight dropped to 7lbs 2 0z. Since we had some issues with jaundice, we ad to keepgoing to the doctor everyday and the weight never went up. He stayed 7lbs 2oz for 5 consecutive days. Our pedi told me to bf, then up pump and then offer him what I pumped, if he still seemed hungry to then offer 2oz of formula. Finally after a week of that he is now 8lbs 2.5oz!!!! She told me I could cut back on the formula. Now. Let him nurse as long as he wants to and we have been able to cut back the bottles to  about 4 a day primarily in the evening when he cluster feeds. I don't think your pedi gave out  bad advice. As my mom reminded me, they aren't against breastfeeding, their job is too look out for the best interest of the child, and since the baby needed to gain weight, they suggested ways to help him gain weight. Your baby still got the benefits of breast milk even though you were supplementing with formula.
    BabyFruit Ticker  

• Options
    i recc getting an LC visit because it helps and builds your confidence and its knowledgable!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"