Pregnant after 35

Dr's office made a mistake w/bloodwork

UPDATED 11/1/12 in thread below-- 

So, I got a call back from the doc's office about my 16 wk blood draw from Monday to check for neural tube defects. Well, they mistakenly ran the whole battery of tests including testing for down's and other trisomy's in addition to the neural tube test. They are never supposed to do this b/c it 1. isn't needed 2. comes back w/a high false positive rate.

And of course it came back abnormal for Down's even though my NT scan/bloodwork results were excellent. The nurse explained that usually when you test twice for the same things (esp w/this second test)- there's a false positive rate of 15%. I'm pretty satisfied w/my first battery of tests/NT results. So, just going to move the anatomy scan up to next week (11/1 at 10:45 am ET) vs. doing any more testing. Trying to take it in stride, but not gonna lie, a little shaken up right now.

They offered me another "confirmatory" blood test, b/c they know I don't want to do the CVS or Amnio. I'm like WTH? Why are you offering that now? Why isn't that offered first? What's the point of that? I don't trust their testing now, thus I'm just pushing forward to the anatomy scan.

Need to figure out where to put this in my brain b/c really my outlook is - it is what it is! I just hate the fact that they robbed me of my peace of mind> so, I'll be working on that one for a while.

Re: Dr's office made a mistake w/bloodwork

• Ugh, definitely not what you needed. Sad I'd say to just keep to the first tests,since you know there' that chance of the false positives, and the first test results are far more likely. Focus on where you're going and anything on the side (The sudden test offers) can stay there. Unnecessary. they're trying to make up for their mistake, and you don't need to cater to that.

Now go treat yourself to something that will relax you. You deserve it! Cake (Like cake!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks Anime :) I'm determined to focus on the first round/NT results as the "accurate" ones and hopefully be soothed by the anatomy scan next week.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry that they've thrown this news at you! I'm not sure if I had the full panel or just the neural defect one for the 2nd screening, but I did get a false positive and from what I've seen it's more common on the 2nd screen, wth knows why. You have every reason to be confident and I'm sure the A/S will be amazing!

nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks D! I really want to believe that too.

I also remember that our nuchal fold # was great and the nasal bone was VERY prominent and that makes me doubt this recent "abnormal" as well.

• I agree that you should look forward to the A/S. They can check for the other 'soft markers' for Downs at that point and hopefully that will give you piece of mind. And you'll get to see your precious LO on the screen again...seeing my little peanut on the screen always makes me feel better :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I didn't even do any testing.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • So Update:

As we all know, it's the PN's job to get "real" with you about statistics, probabilities and the fact that there are no guarantees. IE: an U/S is never 100% diagnostic. However, I will say our U/S was great today. Baby is measuring right on track, everything looked great, no abnormalities noted. My OB is optimistic that we are on track to deliver a healthy baby BOY! :) And so am I. DH wants to entertain a conversation about an amnio, but at this pt I'm not feeling the need.
  • This is great news!
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"