April 2013 Moms
Options

What would you do? (babysitter related...)

I have been working a couple hours 3 days a week for about 3 months.  We have had a babysitter (sister to dh's friends wife....yes confusing lol) that whole time.  She watches my 3 year old and my 18 month old.  (Oldest is in school.)  18 month old is sleeping almost the whole time.  She charges 10.25 an hour.

I ran into an old collegue at the grocery the other day.  She mentioned she was out of work and if I ever needed a babysitter to let her know.  She is really nice.  An older lady who had 7 kids herself.  I ended up explaining the situation to her just to see what she would charge.  She said 8 an hour would be fine with her. 

I was just offered another day at work as well so babysitting cost would definatly go up.  I am really looking to save us some money plus I think my old co worker would be good as well.  She obviously has experience raising children;)  I just feel bad about the current sitter.

I am wondering how you would approach the situation?  Would you ask the current sitter if she would lower her price?  Would you just tell her your hours changed and you had to find new childcare (current sitter cant sit in the evening bc she has her own kids) so you didnt hurt her feelings?  Would you just leave things how they are since kids have sort of "gotten to know" the current sitter? 

She has been good about last minute schedule changes for me so in a way I feel bad about just changing sitters but also the extra money adds up over time.....  Sorry if this was confusing!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What would you do? (babysitter related...)

• Options
    I would probably keep both... cut down hours on sitter 1 while trying out sitter 2. Especially if you know she is looking for full time work or may not be as flexible as you need. You may find that you love 1 over another or that both work great.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe try out the new one on the new day you're working and see how she works out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree, I would try out the new one before you make a final decision.  Maybe the older lady won't feel like doing as much fun stuff with the kids as the younger one?  She might be worth the extra money.  You could always let your 3 year old pick ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree with what PP's have said.  Also, you definitely don't want to lie to her to try to save her feelings.  Because she has a close connection with you through your DH's friend, the lie could easily be found out and then the relationship could be destroyed.

If it comes to you needing to let her go, maybe talk to her about her price first.  Otherwise, just explain the situation and that you need to cut expenses.

"A man walking backwards does not see what lies ahead, only what he is leaving behind."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1-7/22/12 EDD: 4/8/13 It's a Boy!! Born 3/30/13
    BFP #2 2/3/14 EDD: 10/15/14 - My Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagesbonnie:
    Maybe try out the new one on the new day you're working and see how she works out.

I would give that idea a try, too. Just make sure you let your current sitter know that you are hiring someone to fill in for that time she's not available, because your 3 year old will undoubtedly tell her :)

I would also wonder what are your old colleague's chances of of returning to work. It would suck to change sitters only to have the new one quit on you after after a little while. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"