Detroit Babies

In desperate need of a good dog trainer..any advice?

Hello there! My hubby and I are 19 weeks pregnant with our first baby and have 2 dogs at home...one very small..and one pretty big. Theyre good but very active, and they both like to jump up on people (drives me CRAZY). Today I came home and our larger dog jumped up and pummeled me right in the stomache. I've been concerned about them with baby but that was the last straw. I am VERY worried about what to do especially after baby is born, and my husband does not seem to understand why. Does anyone know of a really good dog trainer or something of the sort anywhere around? The rochester area would be especially good...but I am willing to go anywhere between Detroit and Flint that could help. I don't want to find them new homes they are a part of our family..but I am NOT willing to risk my baby's life for them!

I appreciate your help!

Re: In desperate need of a good dog trainer..any advice?

• Places like Petco or other pet supply stores hold obedience classes, you could call the local Humane Society they should have some names/numbers.  Google online for local private trainers.
  • YES! We did two rounds of the 6 week course of obedience training at Petsmart...it was a complete waste of time andmoney. We recently had the Invisible Fence company come out and install our fence. Our french bulldog, while extremely cute, is so poorly behaved around other people. Jumping, biting feet, etc. They mentioned that they have an obedience program. With nothing else to lose we signed our pup up. Literally in ONE session he was more trained than the 12 sessions at petsmart. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend. A trainer comes to your house, works one on one with you and your dog. I seriously was losing hope that our little guy would ever be able to behave around other people. I can't recommend this enough. Our trainer was Bethany by the way. Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh and we are in Rochester Hills too! I didn't read that part before, I was honestly too excited to pass on this recommendation to finish your post!
  • imagealaycox:
    Oh and we are in Rochester Hills too! I didn't read that part before, I was honestly too excited to pass on this recommendation to finish your post!

Alaycox,

Thanks for the recommendation! Do you remember roughly how much they were per session?? I'm trying to get my DH on board with in-home dog training as well. I am almost ready to try Bark Busters which is like $600/dog (ouch) but it is lifetime...  

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's like $100 per session but I promise it's worth it! I honestly feel like I have a new dog after just the first session. I was really worried about having a new baby and people coming over and Gus (the dog) being so poorly behaved and now I am completely comfortable. I would try having Bethany, the trainer, come out for the "eval"/first train and see the progress she makes and I think you'll be sold. You can add on sessions as you go so you definitely don't have to sign up for sessions you don't need or want. We bought a total of three. In the first session they taught him and us how to use the collar and leash with a "no" command and also how to walk in a "heel". The next session was reinforcing all the commands from session one and also on staying when told to (for Gus this was to stop him from running out of the house every time the door opened). The third session is this week and is supposed to teach him to go to his "place" (like a blanket/bed/etc) and stay there until released. So for instance if you are changing the baby on the floor and don't want a nosy pup you can send him to his place. Good luck!
  • Call Sit Means Sit.  We are working with them and it is worth every penny.  They ofter lots of options and you get out of it what you put into it.  They will come to your house and do a free demo and they were NOT pushy.  When we first signed up for info, they said they would call us once and they called us once.  It turned out not to be the time for us to do the training at that time and they did not bother us again.  We called them a year later and scheduled a demo and they came out and were great.  We have our second private class today.  If you use them tell them you were referred by Kelly Shehan.

https://sitmeanssit.com/dog-training-mu/metro-detroit-dog-training/ 

• We used BarkABout in Shelby Twp. It's not cheap, but it's reasonable, and our dog is now really well behaved. I love that place, and it is often recognized nationally. Gwen is the trainer we used. We also go there for daycare occasionally and boarding. Good luck!
  • THANK YOU for all of your advice!!! My hubby and I are going to check into all of these recommendations throughout today and tomorrow :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"