October 2012 Moms

swelling and diuretics

Anyone have to take a diuretic for swelling? I'm one week post and my feet, ankles and legs up to my knees are swollen. This wouldn't be a problem, but I don't fit into any of my shoes, not even sandles. When I left the hospital, the swelling I had during delivery had actually decreased with the 2 days I was in the hospital. They are double that size now. The doctor is saying we could do a low dosage diuretic to get rid of the excess fluid, but I'm scared of what it could do to my supply for BF. Anyone have experience?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: swelling and diuretics

• I don't have any advice, but I heard that could decrease your supply just like decongestants. I hope you find some sort of relief. I couldn't imagine that much swelling!
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    I made rachelmichelle1 my bitch.
  • I had the swelling in my feet and ankles too and it just went down yesterday. My doctor told me to either drink a ton of water or add fresh lemon to your water. Apparently it's one of the "stronger" natural diuretics.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had it really bad with my 2nd and my Dr carefully prescribed me 3 diretic pills and i take one at a time. I only used 2 of the three and i was back to normal and it did not hurt my supply.
  • imagealrdytkn1222:
    I had it really bad with my 2nd and my Dr carefully prescribed me 3 diretic pills and i take one at a time. I only used 2 of the three and i was back to normal and it did not hurt my supply.
    . awesome! she only wants me to take 1 pill of the lowest dosage for a couple days. increasing my water intake has done very little to help
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had some heart complications postpartum and was given lasiks intravenously. I could not bf until it was out of my system. It had a pretty short half life, though.

ETA: the diuretics didn't affect my supply. I was 6 days postpartum
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• It took me nearly two weeks for all the swelling to go down.  I drank lots of water, coconut water and water with lemon.  I also kept my feet up as much as possible, but I also tried to make sure that I did a little walking each day.  DH massaged my feet/calves. 
    my read shelf:
    Erika's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Oct Angel Babies Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"