December 2011 Moms
Options

WWYD Breast feeding

DD has been breastfed since birth and has never had formula. My supply started to go down a few weeks ago and then I got the lovely stomach virus this weekend and my supply is just about gone. She will be 1 on December 12th. I called the doctor yesterday to see if we could start whole milk a few weeks early I have some BM frozen and the nurse acted like I was an idiot I might be a little sensitive to the fact that I didnt make it to a year, but I think she was still rough with her tone. She told me that formula has the correct minerals and vitamins that my baby needs and that they do not want me to give whole milk until 1 year. Also, that the formula helps with the eye and brain development. I like to follow the rules, but I somewhat feel like a few weeks isn't going to hurt her. I'm torn as to what to do. I've seen that a lot of you are giving you LO's whole milk, though.

Also, I was going to try to still nurse in the morning and night. Do you think I'll be able do that?

Lastly, do I just give her the same amount of formula or milk as I would have pumped milk?

Thanks for the help!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WWYD Breast feeding

• Options

Mind you, I've got bias because when my brother was a baby and having issues with BM, at two weeks the doc told my Mom "Just give him 2%" and that's what he got instead of formula and did just fine and was a happy baby the rest of the time. 

IMO, trust your instincts and latch to the ability you can, feed LO the EBM mixed in at first then straight up bottles.  You could try formula for the month and 12 days, but it's really up to you on whether you're going to just make the transition to WCM.  Do your research and decide what is best for you & LO.  There isn't some magic switch at 12mo that suddenly changes and quite honestly the whole "no dairy until 12mo" bugs me because when you look at the ingredients of even formula, it's "Milk/Dairy based" along with eggs in many baby foods.  Some research is showing that "if they're going to have a reaction, they're going to have a reaction, doesn't matter if you wait until 12mo or not.."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Well congrats on making it as far as you did! Way better than I could ever do. I would think that a few weeks would not hurt her but also if it were me I would probably just do the formula for a few weeks in case. And the formula would be the same amount as pumped milk, you know your LO really directs the show on how much they want/ need. With DS1 we only started the transition to milk in cups instead of formula right around the week he turned 1.

DS2 will be 1 a few days after yours and I plan on waiting until after his birthday to do the switch to WCM from formula.

GL!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    They make the switch in Canada at 9 months and those babies survive. Just saying. We are going to try some WCM at 11 months.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Congrats for making it this far! I am in agreement with others- if I was in your situation, I would just add WCM and try to continue to BF in the mornings and nights.  I think you are close enough to the year mark anyway, but again that is just my opinion! Good Luck :)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• Options
    I would switch to milk only if my child has a well balanced diet overall.

We were going to quit formula at 9 months but decided instead to take it day by day. On days when she is a solids eating machine I give her more milk than formula. On days when she isn't that into solids I will give her more formula. The overall trend is a decease in formula though and she will likely be off it before a year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations for continuing to BF!  I am in a similar situation because DD has never had formula either but my supply has dropped dramatically in the last two months and my husband and I were worried that she wasn't getting enough.  She's been exposed to cow's milk in small amounts over the last few months because it's been mixed in things like eggs or when she first started eating soggy cheerios from my cereal a while back -- things like that.  I felt like she was ready for cow's milk so I started her last week on organic whole milk.  She only has a little bit a day and nurses in the morning and at night and occasionally still gets pumped milk from me when I can get enough to her during the day.  She's still about 5 weeks shy of her first birthday but I feel comfortable with it and she really likes it.  I agree with some of the other ladies about trusting you instincts because every baby is different - that's really the best way!
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for your help and support!! You've all made me feel much better!
  • Options

I'm late to the party on this thread, but wanted to hop on and offer you some words.  Way to go for BF as long as you have. Every day that you give some BM, even a little, is amazing!  BF is one of the hardest things I've ever done.

That said, if you want to nurse your LO evenings/mornings, that is totally doable.  BF is not an all or nothing proposition.  I'm sure you've heard it before, but it is based on demand and supply -- baby demands, you supply.  The more your LO demands, the more you get.  Everyone talks about pacifying being bad, and "using you as a human pacifier", etc., but what baby is actually doing is building up supply.  

Here's an interesting thread that I found the other day, on the breastfeeding forum, about nursing past a year:  Link

That being said, no one should judge you, but should rather offer information if you want it and then encourage you to do what works best for you and your LO... best of luck!

• Options
    We are kind of in the same situation.  I work 3 days a week and I have not been responding to the pump like I used to. I have been giving LO a sippy of almond milk on the days that I work if I am short on breast milk.  He has had no problem taking it. I was going back and forth to give the milk or get formula but for the MAYBE 10 ounces a week he gets of the milk I didn't think it was necessary.  Plus he is a really great eater and eats tons of fruits/veggies. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"