Sleep is regressing- I did what I said I'd never do — The Bump
Attachment Parenting

Sleep is regressing- I did what I said I'd never do

LO is over 4 months now. I nursed her to sleep for naps and nighttime. We co-sleep in that she sleeps in the pack n play next to my side of the bed, but when she awakes I'd bring her in bed with us and we'd both nurse back to sleep. I thought this worked beautifully until her sleep started regressing. She needed the nurse to fall asleep, and she'd even wake from naps and nighttime sleep prematurely. I did NOT want to do CIO, but things just kept getting worse. She will not take a paci or bottle. So, the last few days I have been checking and consoling her every 10 minutes. She fights it so hard and I feel like a horrible mother. But I do not know what else to do. Her sleep IS getting worse. She needs rest but cannot get it without me and it is causing premature wakings and her naps went form 45 minutes to now maybe 20 minutes. I don't know what to do. I feel frazzled.

Re: Sleep is regressing- I did what I said I'd never do

• First off, it's ok.  You're not a horrible mother, you're figuring it out.  Secondly, there is supposedly a 4 month sleep regression, so I think what your daughter is going through is normal.

My son started teething and actually cut his first 2 teeth at 4 months.  If she's unsoothable and not wanting to nurse, take a bottle or paci, her mouth could be hurting her.  There are homeopathic teething drops that I feel helped my son.  They are safe so you can give them to her and just see if it helps.  Also try getting a hazelwood necklace.  I swear by it!

Also have her checked for an ear infection.

Good luck and hang in there.  Sleep patterns change... get bad, get better, get bad again, get better again.  You'll all survive, it's just part of the process!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • EcyEcy member
    imagejaymiegerard:

First off, it's ok.  You're not a horrible mother, you're figuring it out.  Secondly, there is supposedly a 4 month sleep regression, so I think what your daughter is going through is normal.

My son started teething and actually cut his first 2 teeth at 4 months.  If she's unsoothable and not wanting to nurse, take a bottle or paci, her mouth could be hurting her.  There are homeopathic teething drops that I feel helped my son.  They are safe so you can give them to her and just see if it helps.  Also try getting a hazelwood necklace.  I swear by it!

Also have her checked for an ear infection.

Good luck and hang in there.  Sleep patterns change... get bad, get better, get bad again, get better again.  You'll all survive, it's just part of the process!

THIS

• Loading the player...
  • https://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/4mo-sleep/ 

Read this and recite it in your head when you feel like you're going crazy :). DD's 4 month wakeful lasted a whole month. Do whatever you have to do to survive! For us, that meant bedsharing and I'm really glad we did/are.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards