Preemies

Question about Pumps for BF

I expect to deliver sometime this week.  As I am in my 32nd week, I know there will probably be some NICU time involved.  I met with the NICU drs this week, and while they are VERY pro-breastfeeding, I forgot to ask if I needed to provide my own pump to use while LO is in the hospital.  Does anyone know?  Or should I have DH pick up my own now?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Question about Pumps for BF

• While you are at the hospital you usually can use one from them for free. If you have WIC you can get a hospital grade pump loaned to you for free. Otherwise you can rent a hospital grade pump which I highly recommend. It will help build your supply and is much more efficient than a hand or even a regular store pump. If you ask a nurse in the maternity ward they can get you all the info about places  in your area where you can rent or get the hospital grade pump. Congrats on your baby! 
  • Thanks so much for the info!  I will ask at the hospital for sure!

I am getting excited- just want to make sure I am prepared :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Make sure the hospital LC helps you with flange size. Your nips will thank you!
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageBostonKisses2:
    While in the hospital (and possibly while in the NICU - ask the neos or LC), they'll have a pump for you to use.  I purchased my own pump for home use, but you can also rent a hospital grade pump until you purchase your own if you want.  I had the Avent twin electric pump and liked it, but in retrospect I kind of wish I'd spend a little more money and bought a Medela PISA.  The Medela really is worth it, especially if you're going to EP and/or will continue to pump while nursing.

I was looking at the Medela PISA... thinking I may make the purchase despite the financial cost.  But may wait to see if I am producing enough milk to even pump....  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageBostonKisses2:
    While in the hospital (and possibly while in the NICU - ask the neos or LC), they'll have a pump for you to use.  I purchased my own pump for home use, but you can also rent a hospital grade pump until you purchase your own if you want.  I had the Avent twin electric pump and liked it, but in retrospect I kind of wish I'd spend a little more money and bought a Medela PISA.  The Medela really is worth it, especially if you're going to EP and/or will continue to pump while nursing.

I was looking at the Medela PISA... thinking I may make the purchase despite the financial cost.  But may wait to see if I am producing enough milk to even pump....  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageKadyra:
    Make sure the hospital LC helps you with flange size. Your nips will thank you!

Yikes!  I will!  Didn't think of that... 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not sure if this was in my hospital only, but because of my daughter being premature I got to rent a hospital pump free of charge until she was 34 weeks GA. I used the PISA after and still use it now at work and it's great also but I think the hospital pump was the best way to start. Maybe ask and see if your hospital does this?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Check with your NICU, and also check with your health insurance company. Depending on where you live and your plan, you might be able to get some assistance with your pump.

Good luck!

• I delivered 10 days ago at 32w3d totally out of the blue. At least you know it's coming! I bought a Medela PISA a few weeks ago, however, the lactation consultants at the hospital said that while it's a good pump, for preemies, it's best to have a hospital grade pump. I rented an Ameda from the hospital (for $70 a month. Yikes!) for home. Our NICU has a pump for me to use while I'm there. I would call the NICU and ask. I also wouldn't recommend buying a pump, since they told me mine wouldn't be good enough. Good luck! Hope everything goes smoothly with the delivery!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageBandEddie:

imageKadyra:
    Make sure the hospital LC helps you with flange size. Your nips will thank you!

Oh my God yes to this. A thousand times yes. My poor boobies until I used the larger flange! 

Definitely this!! 

• Definitely check with insurance. My doctor wrote a prescription for a pump and my insurance paid for it entirely. Also, while we are in the NICU there has been a pump in our room. Also, we are staying at the hospital in a Ronald McDonald style living quarters that is directly in the hospital and there is a pump in that room to use over night. So don't be afraid to ask the hospital for resources because 99% of the time they can take care of what you need. Good luck! 
  • I rented a symphony for home.  It was the best pump ever.  Really, it made pumping so comfortable.  Once I was working again or when I went to appts I used my Ameda Purely Yours which worked well.  But, IMO, no pump is as comfortable as the symphony.  It is also worth having it at home for the first few weeks to get your supply established. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"