Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Holding on to weight when BFing? (XP from 9/12)

Title: Holding on to weight when BFing?

So Im an at a weight loss plateau right now and its driving me crazy. I gained about 44lbs- started at 128 and ended at 172. Yuck. Of course I lost 25lbs right away then now Im stuck. I havent lost (or gained) a lb in almost a month. Its so frustrating. I am eating ok (not dieting since Im BFing) and I just started to workout.

With DD1 I remember having the same issue-sorta. I went back to work after 3 months and I was able to get into a routine as well as a workout routine (I was able to take classes at lunch) and right away the remaining weight began to fall off. I also stopped BFing a couple weeks before I went back to work.

With DD2 I am able to take off 6 months of work so I plan on BFing a little longer. I'm starting to wonder though if my weight loss plateau is because of BFing? Is that a crazy thought? I was researching this yesterday and there is a theory out there that says some women hang on to the weight when BFing and when they stop the weight will start to fall off again.

What has your experience been?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Holding on to weight when BFing? (XP from 9/12)

• Options
    Yep. That's me too. I hold ten lbs that doesn't come off until I'm done bf. happened with both kids and I'm working out a lot now, only budges weight 1to2 lbs but sticks. It's annoying. I'm athletic, 135 at my thinnest pretty happy at 140, but im a solid 150 while bf.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe. My lactation consultants and WIC peer counselor like to promote breastfeeding by saying that it burns as many calories as jogging five miles a day. But I have a prolactin secreting pituitary tumor and I have made milk for several years for hormonal reasons, and one of the main physical symptoms has been weight gain/trouble losing weight. So maybe making milk does burn calories, but I suspect the effect that it has on the endocrine system may still impede weight loss in certain people.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, I lose weight super slowly while nursing. I can't even EBF (I have a low supply, did with my 1st as well) and despite working out and eating a healthy diet, I still have 12 lbs to lose. I had the same issue with my 1st and lost most of my baby weight after I weaned at 9 months (I still hung on to some too, probably because DD was a horrible sleeper and I wasn't able to workout as much as before she was born).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I've always heard that 80% of being in shape is diet. So if you are not cutting back on calories (assuming you are eating more than necessary, as most do) then you will not drop all of your weight just through working out. I have cut my calories and lost, while BFing, without it affecting my production. Just make sure you don't cut back TOO far.

You can always try to cut back little by little, and if it starts affecting your production take it back up.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I EBF my 4 month old and haven't been this thin since I was 16. My aunt told me she was the same way and whenever she stopped breast feeding she would gain 10lbs. I think every body is very different, and I know this is easy for me to say, but don't stop due to the extra lbs! They have done studies that show a lower amount of obesity in those that were breast fed as babies, so even if you hold onto a few extra lbs now, this could mean a difference in your child's weight for the rest of their life. Maybe getting a more regular workout would help? I hope you find an answer! I know how frustrating it is when you are trying to lose, and just can't!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"