October 2012 Moms
Options

Nursing for three hours? (!) Need ideas for faster let down...

Baby E is 8 days old. We had a rough time with my milk coming in bc of my stress. Now that said stress is gone, my boobs seem to be getting heavier. He is rejecting the formula and choosing to stay at my breast. BUT... he stays at my breast for like 3-4 hours non stop. I switch breasts and he still goes at it.

I put him down and he cries. He's still hungry. He goes back on the breast. We did this last night from midnight to 7 a.m. He almost fights with my breasts, trying to get the in his mouth ad he gets frustrated.

When I squeeze I get milk, but I have (TMI) extremely large nipples (circumference larger than a quarter,) so perhaps he just can't get my nips in his mouth? I feel like I'm starving him. But after supplementing with formula, doc wants me to try exclusive BFing. My nips don't hurt or crack or anything. They're just enormous. (Breasts aren't big, JUST my nipples...)

Any ideas on how to help him get more milk? Or any ideas on whether it's normal to feed for 3 hours straight about twice a day?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nursing for three hours? (!) Need ideas for faster let down...

• Options
    He could just be going through a growth spurt which usually happens around 79 days. DD is a week old and all of a sudden yesterday she has been cleaning out both sides and back when she's nursing. Last night I got all of 3 hours sleep because she wanted to nurse so much. I also have large nipples and have to make sure to sandwhich them in as much as possible, but honestly I don't think that is the problem for you right now if he's latching correctly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I also have largish boobs and nips and i am having to use a nipple shield, whichsucks bc my nip doesnt fit in the shield very well. Thats the only suggestion i can offer. I saw an lc today and she said its a very common issue, but that baby doesnt even really need nipple, just a mouthful of boob. FWIW my insurance covers a consult, perhaps yours does too, its worth looking into!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thanks! i didnt know aabout sandwiching and i forgot about the bf board
  • Options

hugs feel that way too! its as if I never feed him enough 

• Options
    I was going to suggest a nipple shield like the pp said.

• Options

Thanks Amy. i"d stopped counting diapers actually, once LO got back to his birth weight. I'll go back to it. We've seen the pedi 3 times in the last 8 days. it's really been something else with his belly button being infected.. so trying to get back on track. good to know that i'm likely doing this right. no one around me has ever BFed, so they are no help at all. I'm also searching for a lactation consultant who will take my insurance.

re feeding every 3-4 hours.. i need to remember that at night. MIL keeps saying i'm disturbing the baby's sleep, but doc also said to wake him and feed him bc he's so lethargic and getting over a fever. Sigh. But I will persevere! thanks for the feedback.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"