Babies: 0 - 3 Months

fussy during feedings

my LO is fussy at every feeding. I believe i have a fast letdown because it sometimes chokes him. I have tried leaning back, sitting him more upright so that he's working against gravity but he's still fussy. I try burping him often, but a lot of the times he's so uncomfortable he just screams fighting it. I know he's still hungry but he just gets so angry and hot from screaming that we stop. Is there anything i can do to help him? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: fussy during feedings

• This happened to me at 2 1/2 weeks as well. These sites really helped me:

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

The exact method I used was to pump completely empty on both breasts one time, then block-feed for 8 hours per side... It helped a TON.. but I did find that I had to pump dry once every 2-3 days. Yes, it sounds odd since it's like telling your body to produce more milk... but the study in the following journal shows that it's a reliable method:

https://www.internationalbreastfeedingjournal.com/content/2/1/11

• I also had a very fussy feeder while my body was still trying to figure out how to much to produce.  Poor LO would unlatch and I would be squirting him in the face with multiple streams :(  I visited my LC and she watched him eat and then helped us with new positions.  I started sitting him up on my lap facing my breast and once he got a good latch I would recline back (laid-back position).  It helped SO much! I hated seeing him struggle while eating and not relaxing.  I also hand expressed once I felt my breasts "filling up" to keep them from getting too full.  I would hand express into a bottle through out the day and then freeze it at night.  We did this for about a week and then things calmed down a lot and now we have zero issues.  Hope this helps!    

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"