Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Chicken pox vent & question

As far as my mom and I know, I've never had the chicken pox. She said however, that I got tested around 13-14 years old and the results came back that I was immune. I don't remember this at all, which is weird because of my medical/needle anxiety. Now that I'm TTC I've done some research and it seems like chicken pox during pregnancy is potentially very dangerous for the mother and baby. So, next week I have an appointment just to double-check that I definitely am immune.

What scares me is if the tests come back showing that I'm not immune and I need to receive the shots. Apparently there are two shots, spaced 4-8 weeks apart and it's recommended to avoid becoming pregnant for 1 or 3 months (sources vary) after the second shot.

That's a whole lot of TTA. I wish I thought of this earlier. And if it does happen that this is our cycle and I'm not immune, I'll have to go the whole pregnancy vulnerable.

Has anyone had any experience with this or any extra info? Or has anyone ever come back immune to the chicken pox without ever being aware of having it or receiving the vaccination?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 - 11/7/12 * M/C - 12/8/12 @ 7W6D
BFP #2 - 3/2/13 * DS1 - BORN ON EDD - 11/13/13
BFP #3 - 11/7/14 * DS2 - BORN ON EDD - 07/21/15 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Chicken pox vent & question

• Options

I'm in the same boat as you.  I've never had chicken pox.  I've also never been tested for immunity to chicken pox, but my brother and all of my friends had them growing up and I never did.

I've kind of been putting it off for the same reason, I don't want to TTA for 3 months if I get the vaccine.  I know your immune system is not at it's best during pregnancy but I've avoided getting chicken pox for almost 28 years, what are the chances of getting it during the 9 months of pregnancy?

On the other hand, if you're already immune there's no need to worry about vaccines OR chicken pox so I guess it's best to get the test done and make a decision from there.  Maybe your Dr. can weigh in on the issue once your results come back.

If I was around small children a lot maybe I would be more inclined to look into this further, but don't kids pretty much get the vaccine now, too? 

Edit:  Keep us posted on this, I'm curious to know how it turns out for you.  You are inspiring me to make that appointment... 

My little guy!  Everett Richard born 9/3/13

• Options

imageBrazilianPeach:
    There must be different kinds of vaccine. I wasn't immune so I had to be vaccination but I only had to take one shot. I was told to not ttc for 3 months afterwards. Hoping you are immune and don't have to worry about it

When you're under a certain age, I think 12(?) you only need to get the shot once. Were you younger when you got the shot?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageeyris:

I'm in the same boat as you.  I've never had chicken pox.  I've also never been tested for immunity to chicken pox, but my brother and all of my friends had them growing up and I never did.

I've kind of been putting it off for the same reason, I don't want to TTA for 3 months if I get the vaccine.  I know your immune system is not at it's best during pregnancy but I've avoided getting chicken pox for almost 28 years, what are the chances of getting it during the 9 months of pregnancy?

On the other hand, if you're already immune there's no need to worry about vaccines OR chicken pox so I guess it's best to get the test done and make a decision from there.  Maybe your Dr. can weigh in on the issue once your results come back.

If I was around small children a lot maybe I would be more inclined to look into this further, but don't kids pretty much get the vaccine now, too? 

Edit:  Keep us posted on this, I'm curious to know how it turns out for you.  You are inspiring me to make that appointment... 

I'd definitely make the appointment if I were you. My younger brother had them and I used his towel to try to catch them while I was younger. I must've been like 10 at the time. I never got them. It's highly likely that you and I are both not immune after 28 years of not getting them, but IMO it's better to be safe than sorry. The last thing I want to do is worry throughout my entire pregnancy about something like chicken pox, or even worse, end up with them and subject myself and baby to serious complications that could've been prevented.

• Options
    I don't have any experience because I had chicken pox when I was younger but I hope you are immune and everything works out.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I've tested as immune without ever being vaccinated for it and never having it. I have no reason to doubt this because I've been exposed to chicken pox a few times and I've never gotten it. But I don't have any info about it. I guess since I've always believed I was immune I never gave it a second thought when TTC.

TTC since August 2011, Me = 40, DH = 38
    Unexplained IF. Tried Clomid for 3 cycles. All BFNs. BFP 1/6/13. Chemical pregnancy.

Moving on to IVF#1. ER 11/26/13, 16 eggs retreived, 12 mature and all fertilized. 2 blasts transferred on 12/1. All other embies arrested so nothing left to freeze. Beta 12/10 = BFN. IVF #2 March 2014. BFP!!! TEAM BLUE!!!

image imageimageimage

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options

imageSweetC80:
    I never had chicken pox (as far as I or my mother remember either), and I had gotten the blood test before TTC and it came back immune. I was told that some people can get mild cases that don't show pox, and more than likely I had the flu or severe cold but it was actually a very mild strand of chicken pox. I needed no further vaccine or testing. If you had a blood work showing you are immune you are good.

Yeah, I'm hoping this is the case for me. I'd totally trust what my mom said about me having the test done, and it coming back that I'm immune but my mom seemed just a bit too...unsure about the whole thing. I'd rather get rechecked. It does make me feel better knowing that you don't remember having the rash and you're immune. I'm guessing (hoping) more likely than not, that it's the same for me and that my mom isn't rocking a looney-tune memory.

• Options
    I had chickenpox as a child, I was only 6 but I vividly remember how horrible it was. DS had a vaccine at a year old, and I think that is pretty much standard procedure. And it was just one shot .  Children cannot get the vaccine before a year, or at least thats what his pediatrician told me. That being said, two children came down with chicken pox in his daycare before the age of one .. So my advice would be to get the test done, and if you come back not immune I would get the vaccine. I cannot imagine how bad it would be to get chicken pox as an adult , let alone pregnant. I know it sucks to potentially TTA but at least you'll be informed and aware then.. good luck!!

BFP#1.11/2/12-EDD 7/16/13-M/C.11/6/12
    BFP#2 1/2/13 EDD 9/13/13 DS#2 8/19/13!

My Ovulation Chart || Ovulation Chart 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    It's possible you had it and didn't realize, and once you have it from actually having had the disease, typically you are immune for life. Probably a good idea to get the test done to be sure though, since milder cases seem to correlate with less immunity(which is why some people get it twice).
    Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• Options

imageScarletOflaherty:
    It's possible you had it and didn't realize, and once you have it from actually having had the disease, typically you are immune for life. Probably a good idea to get the test done to be sure though, since milder cases seem to correlate with less immunity(which is why some people get it twice).

This is what happened to my mom, she had a mild case when she was a child so when I got it as a child she got it from me.

• Options
    I'm jealous that so many of you have not had chicken pox. I had it aweful!  I still remember it.  I even had one on my eyeball.  That is the reason I wear glasses/contacts now.  OP, I hope you are immune and the test goes well.
  • Options
    I had the shot as a child, still got chicken pox, and now I break out with shingles once in awhile. It's so much fun! Lol! I really didn't even think about it before I had my son. Hmmmm now it has me thinking now that I am trying again.
  • Options

imagesugarellie:
    I had chickenpox as a child, I was only 6 but I vividly remember how horrible it was. DS had a vaccine at a year old, and I think that is pretty much standard procedure. And it was just one shot .  Children cannot get the vaccine before a year, or at least thats what his pediatrician told me. That being said, two children came down with chicken pox in his daycare before the age of one .. So my advice would be to get the test done, and if you come back not immune I would get the vaccine. I cannot imagine how bad it would be to get chicken pox as an adult , let alone pregnant. I know it sucks to potentially TTA but at least you'll be informed and aware then.. good luck!!

Getting chicken pox when pregnant is way more serious than being miserable because you're sick and pregnant.  Not trying to be snarky, but I had no clue how serious it was and it seems most people don't....My RE just told me my bloodwork results yesterday and I am immune.  From what she said and what I found on a mayo clinic article, having it while pregnant can cause serious birth defects or cause the baby to be born with a life threatening disease.

They also recommend TTA for only 4 weeks after the vaccine.  OP, definitely find out if you are immune and if not, get the vaccine.

https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chickenpox-and-pregnancy/HO00036

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Options
    I never had them either but I did get the vaccine around the age of 12. I was probably immune anyway...I would go to every kids house to try and catch them and never did. I definitely recommend getting tested because of the risks. I know my aunt had them when she was pregnant and she says it was a terrible experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"