Multiples
Options

When Did You Start Having NSTs, BPPs, etc

I realize we're all different but I'm thinking there might be a protocol for multiples as far as when OBs/MFMs begin doing NSTs, BPPs, cervix checks, test for proteinuria, etc or do those things only occur if there "appear" to be issues? 

I just hit the 32-week mark and to this point my pregnancy has been uneventful (thank God!), the only thing I've had done differently for multiples is seeing MFM monthly and OB every other week since 28 weeks.

What was your experience as far as when you started doing the above?

TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When Did You Start Having NSTs, BPPs, etc

• Options
    I had an uneventful di/di pregnancy and started having NSTs at 32 weeks. I had a manual cervix check and did a 24 hr urine catch and blood work at 33 weeks but only because there were concerns about dilation and pree. I ended up delivering at 33w4d so that was it for me, but if I had gone longer I would have continued with biweekly NSTs and then eventually weekly.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That makes me nervous....the fact that you had an uneventful di/di and delivered at 33w4d. I guess what concerns me is that my OB may not test as proactively as I'd like in order to catch certain percursors to PTL. I guess I just need be patient and wait and see what they do or be assertive to ensure I'm comfortable with the next 6 wks. Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I ended up delivering early because my Baby A's water broke, but before that I really didn't have too many serious PTL symptoms so I don't think they could have done much differently in my case. Baby A was just ready to go. If you are concerned I would just talk to your doctor about it and see what monitoring they are willing to do. With multiples I don't think you'd be unreasonable in asking for more monitoring. Good luck!

• Options
    What is involved with a NST or BPP? What do they do during those appointments? Are they done with your OB or the MFM?
    Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options
    i start my NST's this week.  I too have had an uneventful pregnancy save for all the uncomfyness.  They seem to not be so concerned with staying on schedule. 
  • Options
    What is an mfm? Thanks!
    Raising 2 amazing step-sons while ttc since 2006. Moved to adoption 11/2011 with one more IVF attempt to go...YEA! 2 healthy heartbeats May 2012! My girls have arrived! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

MFM is maternal fetal medicine doctor, generally known as a high risk doctor.

imageMelleTX:
    What is involved with a NST or BPP? What do they do during those appointments? Are they done with your OB or the MFM?

I"m not entirely sure what's involved, here is what WebMd says about BPP and NST:

https://www.webmd.com/baby/biophysical-profile-bpp

https://www.webmd.com/baby/nonstress-test

I'm guessing my MFM would do it because my OB doesn't seem to do analytical ultrasounds. But I'm still learning.

LadyNikon - Makes me feel better...I guess lol that I'm not the only one who has a doctor who isn't too concerned. Here's to a continued "uneventful" pg!

• Options
    My boys were mo/di, so I had very close monitoring. Monthly growth ultrasounds on highres machines. Starting at about 30 weeks I had NSTs twice a week and one fluid check u/s every week. I never had a manual cervix check until I went in for my induction at 37 weeks induced early due to small size of baby B.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I never had NSTs and I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't even know what BPPs are so I don't imagine I had those either. They tested for proteinuria at every appointment. My cervix was checked at every ultrasound from 12 until 30 weeks and then after that I only had one internal cervix check at about 34 weeks (until I was actually in labor at 36w6d when I had another). Up until the delivery I had a super easy di/di pregnancy so I may not be a very good example.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Last week at 34 weeks.  BPP and NST weekly.  Uneventful pregnancy thus far.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am guessing it won't be my MFM doing them if I get them. I saw him today (31 weeks) and everything is looking good. Baby girls are measuring in at about 4 lbs each and cervix is still looking good so he doesn't want to see me again until 35 weeks. 

I guess I will find out more at my 32 week OB appointment.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options

I start weekly BPPs this week. They're being done at my OB's office. She was originally going to send me for weekly NSTs at the hospital, but decided to just skip those and do BPPs only because then I don't have to go to two different places. I haven't had an internal cervix check since about 29w when I mentioned tons of BHs. 

I've been seeing my OB every 2 weeks for this entire time, though it's been an uneventful di/di pregnancy. I've been seeing my MFM every 4 weeks, then every 3 for awhile as our baby B was measuring a lot smaller. She caught up at my last appointment (34w3d) and I'm officially done with the MFM and only seeing OB now. They test my urine at every appointment....

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all for your responses. It seems as though my treatment plan is fairly normal up to this point with the exception of urine testing which they haven't done at all. I'll insist that they do that tomorrow at my OB appt. They're going to love me from here forward lol.
  • Options

I had growth scans every four weeks after 20 weeks, and would have started NSTs at 32 weeks, but the boys were both over four pounds at their one growth scan so my NSTs got pushed back to 34 weeks. I had those twice a week until my delivery at 36 weeks. These were in addition to my normal OB appointments.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    I was on strict bed rest from 21 weeks on, with meds to stop ctxs and everything. I still didn't have my NSTs start until 34 weeks. That is the policy of the MFM and OB, I have di/di twins. I think mo/di might be a little earlier? I go 2x/week- they do a quick ultrasound to check fluid levels, then I go on contraction and heartrate monitors, they need to make sure the babies are reactive and have 2 appropriate accelerations of heart rates in 20 minutes. With them coming on/off the monitors due to activity/movement, sometimes it takes more like 30-40 minutes to get good results. I believe that BPPs are more involved- they keep the babies on ultrasound longer to check that they are breathing in amniotic fluid into their lungs and some other measurements. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Options
    We started NSTs at 32 weeks and weekly cervix checks at....I want to say 28 weeks or 30 weeks? Of course, I tell myself not to forget these things and then they just fly out of my head.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lost our first little peanut on 1/17/2012 at 9 weeks and 5 days. We miss you little blessing, but we know you were too perfect for this world.
    My multiples/parenting/pregnancy/miscarriage blog
  • Options

imageMuseumMaven:
    My boys were mo/di, so I had very close monitoring. Monthly growth ultrasounds on highres machines.

Same here. My monitoring has been closer because of mono di. Biweekly MFM fluid check ultrasounds and monthly growth scans at the MFM.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lost our first little peanut on 1/17/2012 at 9 weeks and 5 days. We miss you little blessing, but we know you were too perfect for this world.
    My multiples/parenting/pregnancy/miscarriage blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"