Trying to Get Pregnant

Pap smear during fertile week?

I know you are generally not supposed to have sex 24-48 hours before a pap smear, but I think I'm starting fertile week and I really don't want to miss out, especially because it's quite possible I'll be ovulating the day of or day after my pap smear. The problem is, my cycles are irregular so I can't say for sure yet that it's my fertile week. Some signs are pointing towards "go time" but I can't say for sure yet.

The easy answer would be to reschedule, but that would be the 3rd or 4th time I've rescheduled this appointment for various reasons, most recently Hurricane Sandy. If I could have gotten in earlier this wouldn't have been an issue, but it just keeps getting pushed back. I can push it back again, but I'd really prefer to avoid that considering I was really eager to talk to the doctor about TTC. Do you think if I went in they would just make me come back again anyway? Or is the sperm really not that big of an issue?

One DD born 9/23/13.
We're one and done!

Re: Pap smear during fertile week?

• Some Dr's don't tell you to abstain, so I would say *absolute* worst case you might have to repeat your PAP *if* it comes back bad. I would keep DTD as usual, because the PAP can be repeated if need be, but the chance to catch O is a tiny window, kwim?
    Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• Can you call the office and ask what the standard procedure is? I would go ahead and have sex anyway. The worst you could have to do is repeat the pap.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • imageGhostMonkey:

imageScarletOflaherty:
    Some Dr's don't tell you to abstain, so I would say *absolute* worst case you might have to repeat your PAP *if* it comes back bad. I would keep DTD as usual, because the PAP can be repeated if need be, but the chance to catch O is a tiny window, kwim?

Yeah, because worrying that you may have cancer is totally worth not being able to figure out how you can actually follow those guidelines and still hit your fertile window with plenty of opportunity.

Let's say your appointment is Wednesday. Have sex Monday night and then again Wednesday night. EOD. Not that difficult people.

Yes Well said GhostMonkey, well said!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageGhostMonkey:

imageScarletOflaherty:
    Some Dr's don't tell you to abstain, so I would say *absolute* worst case you might have to repeat your PAP *if* it comes back bad. I would keep DTD as usual, because the PAP can be repeated if need be, but the chance to catch O is a tiny window, kwim?

Yeah, because worrying that you may have cancer is totally worth not being able to figure out how you can actually follow those guidelines and still hit your fertile window with plenty of opportunity.

Let's say your appointment is Wednesday. Have sex Monday night and then again Wednesday night. EOD. Not that difficult people.

I agree.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageAppleMuffins:

I know you are generally not supposed to have sex 24-48 hours before a pap smear, but I think I'm starting fertile week and I really don't want to miss out, especially because it's quite possible I'll be ovulating the day of or day after my pap smear. The problem is, my cycles are irregular so I can't say for sure yet that it's my fertile week. Some signs are pointing towards "go time" but I can't say for sure yet.

The easy answer would be to reschedule, but that would be the 3rd or 4th time I've rescheduled this appointment for various reasons, most recently Hurricane Sandy. If I could have gotten in earlier this wouldn't have been an issue, but it just keeps getting pushed back. I can push it back again, but I'd really prefer to avoid that considering I was really eager to talk to the doctor about TTC. Do you think if I went in they would just make me come back again anyway? Or is the sperm really not that big of an issue?

I didn't know that. Oops!

Me 26 DH 31. Off oral contraception since 1/2012. Actively TTC # 1 since 4/2012. CD3 bloodwork, hsg normal 6/2013. SA performed 7/2013 - low count, low motility. First RE appointment 9/4/2013. Were told SA not good enough for IUI. Repeat SA and additional bloodwork ordered. RE suggests DH see a urologist. http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3e32d9/thumb.png
  • I didn't know you were supposed to abstain before a pap.  How did I miss that?  I learn new things all the time!

imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • People have bad PAPs all the time, and often times it's clean when they do the re-test. Considering OP would know that possibility of having to repeat it is there, I doubt she'd be highly worried about having cancer all of a sudden from one test.

Anyways, she can tell her Dr when she goes in that she's been DTD due to TTC, and the Dr can always reschedule her if they feel the risk of a bad test is too high. 

Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• imagemmb248:

I didn't know you were supposed to abstain before a pap.  How did I miss that?  I learn new things all the time!

Me either! Do most docs say this...I have never heard of this before!

• I had a similar issue this week - had my annual pap yesterday afternoon (which I thought would be right around fertile window, although probably wasn't).

We had sex Sunday night and last night after the pap. So, got our EOD in.

Married June 2010.
    DD born 1/13 via Csection at 41w5d after 47 hours of labor

• Yes, GhostMonkey, it's oh so easy. When I didn't O until cycle day 50 something last cycle, I really hope I can miss this cycle and wait who knows how long for it to happen again after months of TTC. I'm not blowing off my pap smear here. I've never had an abnormal test nor am I particularly at risk of cancer at this point in my life, so pushing it off a few weeks isn't going to make a huge difference between dying of cancer or not. Obviously it is important enough for me to ask, but it's not exactly as black and white as you seem to be implying.
    One DD born 9/23/13.
    We're one and done!
  • ...This reminds me of the awkward moment at my 39 week check where my OB is doing the internal and looks at her hand funny...  She then says, "you know that is a bit of an old wives tale right?" while smirking.

MH was in the room.  We both died of embarrassment.   

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebananatiff:

...This reminds me of the awkward moment at my 39 week check where my OB is doing the internal and looks at her hand funny...  She then says, "you know that is a bit of an old wives tale right?" while smirking.

MH was in the room.  We both died of embarrassment.   

LOL now that is funny!

• When I was TTC DD my temp dropped the day before my annual obgyn appt and pap.  I called and rescheduled so we could BD, which worked out because FF confirmed O and I got a BFP that cycle.  I wouldn't want to have to repeat the pap later if it was affected by the fact that we had sex.  It's just annoying to have to go to the doctor again especially if you have to manipulate your work schedule/child care, etc.  I say as long as you can get the appt rescheduled in a reasonable amount of time then BD and reschedule!  Hope you get that BFP!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"