Working Moms

Rate to pay SAHM watching LO in her home?

Rate to pay SAHM watching LO in her home? 

I'm going back to work part-time and a SAHM will be watching my LO (will be 3 months) along with her LO (will be 6 months) in her home.  I'm only working 2 or 3 days per week (it alternates every other week) and LO will be there up to 8 hours per day. 

I also looked at a daycare/preschool that charges $31/day for infants.  Would it be appropriate to offer the same rate?  A little lower or higher?

Thanks!

Re: Rate to pay SAHM watching LO in her home?

• I pay my nanny $85 a day for 7:45-5pm.
  • I assume that she will also have her own kids during the day? I would look into prices of a nanny and in-home daycares in your area and pay somewhere between the two. I am in a low cost of living area where in-home daycares charge around $30/day and nannies charge $10/hr ($80 per day). So I'd see if she'd be happy with $50-$60 per day.

It would also depend on how many kids she has. I'd pay more if she only has 1 kid and less if she has multiple. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • We pay $30 a day and she does breakfast, lunch and snack.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would find out what an in-home daycare costs in your area.  It is probably less than the cost of a center/preschool.  I would pay the same as an in-home costs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I am a SAHM who watches another child.  They pay me the going rate per day of daycares in the area.  They also provide all of her food (breakfast, lunch, and a snack). They provided me with a pack and play for her naps and also a car seat as I have to take my children to and from school every day.

Make sure you have gone through all the logistics with her.  I am paid weekly and I do not get paid when the child is not with me.  Will you also pay her if your child gets sick ? (In a daycare you would have to).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • In my area I believe it is between 2.50 and 3.50 for a infant(In home care)  and the price declines after age 2.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageshellybird101:
    In my area I believe it is between 2.50 and 3.50 for a infant(In home care)  and the price declines after age 2.

Wait what?  $2.50/hour?  That's not even close to minimum wage.  How is this possible?  I pay sitters at a minimum $13/hour. 

• I'd go the same rate - I work 1/2 days and pay $450/month.
  • imagelaurakaz13:

imageshellybird101:
    In my area I believe it is between 2.50 and 3.50 for a infant(In home care)  and the price declines after age 2.

Wait what?  $2.50/hour?  That's not even close to minimum wage.  How is this possible?  I pay sitters at a minimum $13/hour. 

It's possible because there are multiple kids.  $3.50/hour/kid * 4 kids = $14/hour.  When you pay a center $35/day (cost in my area), that's $4 or less/hour.  They can do that cause there is more than 1 child per worker.

• I paid $50/ day, which was cheaper than a center when she was under a year and about the same price as a center when she was 1 1/2.  I also didn't have to pay when she wasn't there, and I would have at a center.  I'm a teacher so I have off alot so that was a huge savings
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • I vote lower.

I'm not a huge fan of the SAHM situation. A SAHM is NOT an nanny. When you have a nanny, you're paying for the convenience of them working around your schedule and not the other way around. Not to mention most nannies will have experience and/or a related degree. Alternatively, a licensed DC (both center and in-home) are required to meet certain standards for safety and curriculum. A SAHMs priority will always be her own child over yours for attention, feeding, nap schedules, etc. It's also much more likely to be carting the kids around during the day (I don't want anyone driving my kid around except for me and H in carseats that I installed myself).

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I paid 50 a day 8am to 6 pm for my neighbor to watch my 6 months old. That was 4 years ago. She had her 7 months old and 3.5 y.o. at home as well. She watched him 4 days a week and I only paid when he went to her, not if we were away or he was sick. I only sent diapers and wipes. She cooked for her kids and fed him what she cooked.
  • Hi I've been a regular lurker since February.

I have a 11 mo old daughter, she's fantastic. 

We have a SAHM watching our LO and I pay her 300/mo she doesn't get paid when she doesn't watch her and that was the rate she told me.  Just discuss it with her.  If it's too high you can negotiate with her, or tell her and if she thinks that your proposal is too low she'll say so.

My sitter doesn't provide food I send everything.  Bfast, lunch snacks.  She has one of our pack and plays and a car seat that we bought and put in her car.  Diapers and wipes are sent by us too.

I do work around her schedule so if she's sick, I'm home, if she's got an appointment I'm home.  But it's worth it.  She's right accross the street.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• If she's not licensed, then I think it would be reasonable to pay her at or below the going in-home rate in your area. She's not really your direct employee because her main activity is watching her own children; yours is +1 to the household. So paying her minimum wage shouldn't be necessary - your child is just one of at least 2, maybe more.

If she were your employee or if she were licensed, it would be different.  

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"