Baby Showers
Options

Plan to arrive late?

My shower is at noon on Saturday. (Yay!) My DH just talked to the host, who suggested that I arrive between 12:20 and 12:30. I could understand if it was a surprise shower - you'd want to give guests a chance to arrive and get settled - but I'm not sure why I wouldn't arrive at noon since I know about it. I was thinking it would be nice to greet people as they arrived. That'd make it easier to make sure that I spoke with everyone for at least a little while.

If you knew about your shower, did you arrive before your guests? At the same time? After?

[Poll]

Re: Plan to arrive late?

• Options
    I wouldn't go late. I would plan to be on time or a little early. I arrived a little early and some of my guests were STILL already there! I felt bad because they didn't know my hosts and they felt weird standing around.
  • Options
    All of the showers that I have gone to, the host, the mothers and the grandmothers are always there to greet the guest as they arrive.
    Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~ Elizabeth Stone
    "Don't marry a man unless you would be PROUD to have a son exactly like him." ~ Unknown
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageMrsNorry:
    I wouldn't go late. I would plan to be on time or a little early. I arrived a little early and some of my guests were STILL already there! I felt bad because they didn't know my hosts and they felt weird standing around.

This.  It would be very awkward for a guest to arrive and the only person she knows is the guest of honor.  You should be there to greet the guests as they come. 

I've only been to a couple of showers where the MTB was not there and they were surprise showers.

• Options

I think it would be very rude to arrive late. No one really cares if you "make an entrance".

I made sure I was the first to arrive at all my showers. It was nice to be able to greet each guest as they arrived. If I had arrived late, I would have felt like I spent the entire time running around and playing catch up.

I would plan to arrive 15-20 minutes before the scheduled start time. You want to stay out of your hostesses way, but it will give you a chance to snap a few pictures of all the decorations and tables before guests arrive and you can sit for a few minutes and prepare for the festivities to begin.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • Options
    I would be really annoyed if you showed up late. The shower won't really start until you're there. I don't need the shower to be any longer than necessary, and the MTB showing up late would make it longer than necessary. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

So glad someone asked this - I just asked my host (mom and sis) what time they want me there and they said on time or a little early- 

So its doesnt seem rude if you are there to greet the guests?  I guess my thoughts is would it look like I was throwing the shower if i was the one there to greet?

My plan was to arrive on time.

photo ecba2e48-bd74-4395-8ca1-47ae6b5df68a_zpsfd491ced.jpg photo 5d7e0910-4031-45ed-a61f-09e4245b7ac6_zps1b85690c.jpg photo 341b9e4e-8eea-4939-9d55-a1c1cf07a00c_zpsa176d7dc.jpg

photo 84a2920e-2954-4acf-9275-ad8708055b12_zpseb05b8cb.jpg

Me and DH - 26years old; IF DX: PCOS, Hypothyroid/Hashimotos(me)
    IVF #1 April 2012- 15 ER (4/13), 13 Fertilized, 1 transfered (4/16), 3 frozen
    Beta #1(4/28)-127 Beta #2(4/30)-301 Beta #3(5/7)-5570!!
    First ultrasound showed 1 strong little heart beat! (5/25) 7/16.. ITS A BOY!
    Brayden Nicholas Born Dec 29 2012 - 7 lbs 10 oz 20 in
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Thanks for your responses! They helped confirm for me that I shouldn't get there late, and I'm not being crazy/unreasonable by wanting to be there on time. 

I've spoken with the host myself, and she's used to surprise showers so she just assumed the guest of honor always showed up after the other guests. She was a little resistant at first, but overall she's ok with me coming at noon. It turns out that she can only get into the venue at 11:30 and was concerned about having everything set up and really didn't want me there early, so I'll try to arrive at the restaurant a few minutes early and then walk into the event room promptly at noon.

• Options
    imageLferr417:

So its doesnt seem rude if you are there to greet the guests?  I guess my thoughts is would it look like I was throwing the shower if i was the one there to greet?

No.  It's not rude.  Clearly- based on the majority of responses!  :)  Everyone will know you aren't the host.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imageEastCoastBride:
    imageLferr417:

No.  It's not rude.  Clearly- based on the majority of responses!  :)  Everyone will know you aren't the host.

good to know!

Thanks Ladies :) 

photo ecba2e48-bd74-4395-8ca1-47ae6b5df68a_zpsfd491ced.jpg photo 5d7e0910-4031-45ed-a61f-09e4245b7ac6_zps1b85690c.jpg photo 341b9e4e-8eea-4939-9d55-a1c1cf07a00c_zpsa176d7dc.jpg

photo 84a2920e-2954-4acf-9275-ad8708055b12_zpseb05b8cb.jpg

Me and DH - 26years old; IF DX: PCOS, Hypothyroid/Hashimotos(me)
    IVF #1 April 2012- 15 ER (4/13), 13 Fertilized, 1 transfered (4/16), 3 frozen
    Beta #1(4/28)-127 Beta #2(4/30)-301 Beta #3(5/7)-5570!!
    First ultrasound showed 1 strong little heart beat! (5/25) 7/16.. ITS A BOY!
    Brayden Nicholas Born Dec 29 2012 - 7 lbs 10 oz 20 in
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was planning on going to my shower at the start time but the hostess asked me to show up about 20 minutes later so she could make sure she had everything complete.  It really wasn't a big deal, I just made a point to go around and greet everyone who was already there.

• Options
    imageRedheadBaker:

image82Sonia:
    I was planning on going to my shower at the start time but the hostess asked me to show up about 20 minutes later so she could make sure she had everything complete.  It really wasn't a big deal, I just made a point to go around and greet everyone who was already there.

Same here. It's typical in my family and circle of friends that the guest of honor arrives 20 to 30 minutes after the scheduled start time.  

That is rude to your guests.  They would have to sit around for 20 - 30 minutes twiddling their thumbs waiting for you to show up.  After 15 minutes I'd probably take off and go home.  My time is valuable to me even if it isn't valuable to the guest of honor.  Do YOU like sitting/standing around waiting 30 minutes for something to start, happen, like weddings, doctor's appointments, movies, dinners, birthday parties, etc.  I would hate that.

• Options
    imagerhubarb123:
    imageRedheadBaker:

image82Sonia:

Same here. It's typical in my family and circle of friends that the guest of honor arrives 20 to 30 minutes after the scheduled start time.  

That is rude to your guests.  They would have to sit around for 20 - 30 minutes twiddling their thumbs waiting for you to show up.  After 15 minutes I'd probably take off and go home.  My time is valuable to me even if it isn't valuable to the guest of honor.  Do YOU like sitting/standing around waiting 30 minutes for something to start, happen, like weddings, doctor's appointments, movies, dinners, birthday parties, etc.  I would hate that.

It's what the hostess specifically requested that I do.  There was an issue with the venue not getting opened for her until 15 minutes before the shower was supposed to start.  I didn't think it was rude and no one else did either. It's not like they were just sitting around doing nothing. There were other people to chat with, food to eat, drinks to have, etc. 

• Options
    image82Sonia:
    imagerhubarb123:
    imageRedheadBaker:

image82Sonia:

It's what the hostess specifically requested that I do.  There was an issue with the venue not getting opened for her until 15 minutes before the shower was supposed to start.  I didn't think it was rude and no one else did either. It's not like they were just sitting around doing nothing. There were other people to chat with, food to eat, drinks to have, etc. 

Very poor excuse.  Just because the hostess "doesn't have a clue" doesn't make it OK for the guest of honor to be rude.  If she is OK with guests getting there and her not having everything set up she should be OK with YOU getting there and not having everything set up.  That is my opinion...but maybe your friends/family have a lot of time on their hands and don't mind.  BTW...do you really think the guests would have pointed out how rude it was?  I doubt anyone would say anything to you or your hostess at the time...but I would bet plenty was said after the shower.  Seriously, if you were more than 15 minutes late...I would have been MIA when you did finally show up.  Maybe I'm overly sensitive because I have a friend who is ALWAYS late (with no good excuse).  We used to wait for her...but not any more.  She misses a lot of fun stuff because she is always late.  We've even left without her if we were meeting up and going to another venue.  We just call and tell her the new place to meet us.

• Options
    imagerhubarb123:
    image82Sonia:
    imagerhubarb123:
    imageRedheadBaker:

image82Sonia:

Very poor excuse.  Just because the hostess "doesn't have a clue" doesn't make it OK for the guest of honor to be rude.  If she is OK with guests getting there and her not having everything set up she should be OK with YOU getting there and not having everything set up.  That is my opinion...but maybe your friends/family have a lot of time on their hands and don't mind.  BTW...do you really think the guests would have pointed out how rude it was?  I doubt anyone would say anything to you or your hostess at the time...but I would bet plenty was said after the shower.  Seriously, if you were more than 15 minutes late...I would have been MIA when you did finally show up.  Maybe I'm overly sensitive because I have a friend who is ALWAYS late (with no good excuse).  We used to wait for her...but not any more.  She misses a lot of fun stuff because she is always late.  We've even left without her if we were meeting up and going to another venue.  We just call and tell her the new place to meet us.

Thanks for your input.  I'm so glad I have someone to point out my and my hostess' lack of good graces.   

• Options
    Perhaps you can mention your concerns about making people wait. For all we know, your hostess may have planned some group card/gift/onesie signing that she wants to do before you get there.
    I agree the guest of honor should be early to the shower, so I would confirm the request to be late and evaluate from there.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    As a host of many baby showers, I find it obnoxious when the guest of honor shows up too early, too.  I don't want her there 45 minutes before the shower starts...there's usually last minute hustle and bustle and I'd rather she not hover around saying "what can I do?" and instead arrive precisely on time or a couple of minutes late so that everything is ready and waiting.  At the showers around here, the guests always arrive between 5-10 minutes before the shower starts and up to 20 minutes after...so the guest of honor showing up 20 minutes late wouldn't actually be that terrible.  If the party starts at noon, I would walk in right at noon or by 12:05, but certainly not earlier than 11:55.  
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

My shower was going to be a surprise but I went into labor 3 days before it was scheduled.  I came home from the hospital the day of the shower.  And the shower was held at my house.  So I had no control of what time I arrived since it was based on when I was discharged.  There were a few guests at the house when I arrived, but many of them had stayed at my house for the weekend (out of town family).  I showered and got dressed and then joined the party.  By that point, a few more guests had arrived.  So technically, I arrived after the guests although I was physically at the house before them.  I circulated the room, but it was definitely more difficult to catch everyone versus greeting them as they arrived.  

I would ask your hostess if there is a special reason she'd like you to arrive late and let her know you'd be more comfortable arriving at the start time of the shower.   

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I said same time mainly bc I am bringing 3 of the guests as they are from out of town. Normally I would try to arrive early. The other one I am planning on being a little early.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I arrived about 15 minutes before the other guests. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"