Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Karo Syrup

So my little one was getting a little bit constipated.  I called her new pedi to ask what to do.  They said to give her Karo syrup.  Her old pedi and numerous of things I've read said that is a big no-no because it can contain spores.  Now I'm at a stand still and not sure what to believe.  I thought about giving her a little bit of sugar water, but the pedi said no. 

Re: Karo Syrup

• Options

I've never heard that Karo syrup could contain spores. I know that a LOT of people use it to ease consitpation in babies. Could your old pedi have thought you were talking about honey?

We give Aria a bit of apple juice when she's backed up. It doesn't take much, and works like a charm.I wouldn't hesitate to use karo though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • Options

I read that it's not really effective for babies (mayo clinic). 

How old is LO? I use small amounts of prunes for my LO (ok, I've just done it once) and it was VERY effective. Also, if you are breastfeeding, keep in mind that it is normal for them to go a long time without pooping- my LO has gone up to 11 days. I did do the prunes last night bc it had been 9 days and he's been getting cereal regularly, but I pronably could've held off.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My aunt told my cousing to do it with he twein boys and it worked great. DS has only been slightly constipated, but usually goes at least once a day.

I have also heard prunes or prune juice (my mother used to give me, but I will tell you I hated the stuff).

We have to give DS mayloxx for his spit up (we also are using mylanta) to help ease the pain fromt he reflux and that helps get him flowing too...if you know what I mean...lol.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Our Dr told us the use it. I did read that say people think that there can be a risk but that there has not been a recent case of illness. I tried it and it only worked a little bit. Some say to use light some say dark. I found that prune juice works the best. She is not a big fan but I mix it into her solids. I also make some homemade prune baby food. She liked that better for some reason.
  • Options

I third prune. I've done juice, mixed with solids and baby food added to water to make a thin drinkable prune mix. It works almost too well for us!

My pediatrician prefers prune or apricot juice over syrup. She feels it works better and it has worked for us. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I did prune juice in a medicine nipple. It did not take long to work.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used to be relucatant to give my LO Karo Syrup but she was so constipated my grandma convinced me and sure enough within 4 hours she was doing great. I always hear bad things about it too but i thought that was only honey but idk
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We tried the Karo Syrup once and it seemed liked it gave him an upset tummy...he was even fussier after we had given it to him.  We have our little guy on Soy formula so he was getting super constipated.  Our doctor recommended putting a half a teaspoon of miralax in his morning bottle and it has kept things moving for him. 
  • Options
    We used Karo several times and it worked for us!  But I've also heard of using prune or pear juice but I haven't tried those.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It's fine Karo syrup it's made from corn, so it doesn't contains the spores that comes with the natural honey from the pollination, just check the label on the bottle, or ask your pedi again, I have tried prune juice as well and it works all the time and lots of water and avoid food that cause constipation (bananas, rice, cheese, etc)

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"