1st Trimester
Options

I don't get it! Please help me understand!

Ok... so my last period was 9/21/12 which was exactly 6 weeks ago.  Today... I had my first ultrasound and she put me at 6.4 weeks AND we saw a little heart beat flickering and she was able to measure beats per minute and everything!  How is that possible!!!!???????  There's no way I'm 6 weeks along!  It would have to be 4 weeks right?  I had to have time to ovulate and such right?  I don't get it.  I'm completely confused!

Re: I don't get it! Please help me understand!

• Options
    No, you're 6 weeks. They go by the first day of your last menstral period. Consider it a bonus 2 weeks. Congrats!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    Good Evening Mrs.Gibb, my last LMP was 9/21 also.. my Dr said i was 5wks and 4 days.. I did a Transvaginal Ultrasound and they Only saw a Gestational sac. My HCG level is 2495. Im schedule for an Ultrasound again next week Tuesday.. Hopefully They will see a Baby..
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You posted the same thing 2 nights ago. Your still going to get the same answers as you did then. 

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• Options

I'm so confused why you are still confused! Didn't several posters cover this with you in the past 48 hours? (And seriously, you've already had kids, right?)

OK, so let's break it down ... Again.

Week one: 09/21/12

Week two: 09/28/12

Week three: 10/05/12

Week four: 10/12/12

Week five: 10/19/12

Week six: 10/26/12

And now, you're at 10/30/12, so you're measuring at 6w4d, right on track.

Seriously, chill now and just be thankful you saw a heartbeat.

photo AlbumsWideColorBump_zps1797df63.jpg

We lost our first (EDD 07/23/12) after finding out at 12 weeks there was no longer a heartbeat. Our rainbow was born 05/22/13 and was worth all we went through.

“So can you understand? Why I want a daughter while I’m still young? I wanna hold her hand and show her some beauty before all this damage is done. But if it’s too much to ask, it’s too much to ask … Then send me a son.” – Arcade Fire
  • Options
    imageKacyChicago:

I'm so confused why you are still confused! Didn't several posters cover this with you in the past 48 hours? (And seriously, you've already had kids, right?)

OK, so let's break it down ... Again.

Week one: 09/21/12

Week two: 09/28/12

Week three: 10/05/12

Week four: 10/12/12

Week five: 10/19/12

Week six: 10/26/12

And now, you're at 10/30/12, so you're measuring at 6w4d, right on track.

Seriously, chill now and just be thankful you saw a heartbeat.

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p577/Jennidyan1109/23d540d6-b829-444c-8c32-e5df839d3d41.jpg?t=1417822558

• Options
    I didn't post 2 nights ago... I just had my ultrasound today.  You must have me confused with someone else :)
  • Options

imageMrsGibb:
    I didn't post 2 nights ago... I just had my ultrasound today.  You must have me confused with someone else :)
    https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/69629211.aspx

Your pretty much asking the same thing!! 

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

• Options

No... you must have me confused with someone else.  I just posted for the first time today.  My period was 6 weeks ago.... but I did not concieve on that day for goodness sake!  Hence the confusion.

PS - Please don't take such a mean tone... I'm only asking :)

• Options

imageMrsGibb:

You posted this two days ago:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/69629211.aspx 

BFP#1 11/25/11 EDD 08/09/12 MMC 01/30/12 D&C 02/01/12
    BFP#2 09/11/12 beta1=72 @13dpo beta2=160 @14dpo beta3=over 6000 @24dpo U/S @7w2dd hb=146bpm U/S @8w5d hb=159bpm U/S @12w hb=164bpm
    EDD 05/20/13
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Options
    imageMrsGibb:

No... you must have me confused with someone else.  I just posted for the first time today.  My period was 6 weeks ago.... but I did not concieve on that day for goodness sake!  Hence the confusion.

I don't have a mean tone with you. 

DS1 2-26-07
    DS2 10-18-10
    M/C 8-5-12
    DS3  6-21-13
    #4 Due May 2015

IT'S A BOY

• Options

Oh... yah.... forgot about that post.

But the reason I'm more confused now is because it's one thing to think you know what day you concieved and go by that.... and it's quite another to actually have an ultrasound tech tell you for sure exactly how far along you are.... and have that timeframe coincide with your period.  Know what I mean?

• Options

I'm sure the thought process to both these questions were different...but you did pretty much ask the same thing just worded it differently...

lol... chillax.  They count 2 weeks BEFORE you're ever even pregnant. It can be confusing at first...but this is standard.  I had to re-think it when I first found out how many weeks I was too.

Listen to the other ladies, they know what they are talking about and remember that they aren't being rude... you're just reading it that way. They are being informative ;)

H&H 9 months to you!

<leader of the pack small photo leaderofthepacksmall_zps19d110a4.jpg photo r0614p_zpsojhlssmw.gif AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrsGibb:

But the reason I'm more confused now is because it's one thing to think you know what day you concieved and go by that.... and it's quite another to actually have an ultrasound tech tell you for sure exactly how far along you are.... and have that timeframe coincide with your period.  Know what I mean?

No, I don't know what you mean. I want to ask why you are over-thinking this, but obviously, you're really not thinking. You freaking measured 6w4d today, exactly on track. It means if you ovulated two weeks after your period on 09/21/12 then you got pregnant 10/05/12.

Now ... Just STOP. Freaking celebrate being pregnant and stop with the "I don't get it!" posts. It's annoying, and quite frankly, a tad bit frightening.

ETA: You called your miscarriage "divine intervention" ... How did I miss that ridiculousness? I'm starting to think this is just MUD, if not you may want to rethink your bio and the posts you make on this board. 

We lost our first (EDD 07/23/12) after finding out at 12 weeks there was no longer a heartbeat. Our rainbow was born 05/22/13 and was worth all we went through.

“So can you understand? Why I want a daughter while I’m still young? I wanna hold her hand and show her some beauty before all this damage is done. But if it’s too much to ask, it’s too much to ask … Then send me a son.” – Arcade Fire
  • Options
    Sigh. Seriously? This again? This is not rocket science. You get two free weeks. Just deal with it. I'm just over four weeks. I got pregnant just over two weeks ago. It's just how it's done. That's it. Move on.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • Options
    imageMrsGibb:

There are two ways to measure pregnancy (well the two most common). One is fetal age and one is gestational age. Fetal age is how long the embryo/fetus has been developed, so for you 4 weeks. Gestational age is what most of the medical community uses and adds two weeks to the date you conceived because your body was preparing for pregnancy.  Most people do not know the exact date they conceived, so that is why we use this method. Yes, it can be confusing if you have irregular cycles or know exactly when you ovulated and then the probable day you conceived, but it's just the way things are done.

Read this:

https://www.parentsconnect.com/pregnancy/trying-to-conceive/Gestational_Fetal_Age.html

I don't know how else to make you understand.  

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Options

You are considered 6 weeks pregnant. Doctors and US techs do measurements based on timing since your LMP. So even though technically your egg was fertilized 4 weeks ago, you will always be calculated from your LMP - thus 6 weeks

• Options
    Oh, FFS.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options

HAHAHAHA.

Mud. And not even good MUD. 

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options
    imageMrsGibb:

This is not a mean tone, this is a tone of frustration:

So what you're saying is that all of us who posted on your other thread wasted our time because you didn't bother to go back and read the responses? Now that I look back at that post, I see that you never responded, so I guess I'm right. Actually, I'm SURE I'm right because you DEFINITELY would have called people mean on your original thread.

If you're not going to bother reading responses to your posts, and then post the same thing two days later, it is completely understandable (and justifiable) that ladies who took the time to respond to your original post would sound frustrated (or, as you interpret it, "mean").

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    imageMrsGibb:

Indifferent You are crazy.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickersimage
  • Options
    Which is also why in pregnancy you go between 38 and 42 weeks =-) you have a two week give or take time lol.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageskio:
    Oh, FFS.

For some reason, this made me nearly fall off the couch laughing! 

griffin
  • Options

imageMrsNorry:

Yes 

BFP #1 - 9/7/12 (my 35th bday!) EDD - 5/15/13 DS born 5/13/13

BFP #2 - 7/5/14 (total surprise!) EDD - ????

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Assuming this isn't MUD and you are really just that daft, you are considered 2 weeks pregnant when you ovulate. Assuming you have 28 day cycles:

You are one week pregnant=one week after your period.

Two weeks pregnant= two weeks after your period, which is when ovulation/conception takes place.

Three weeks pregnant=three weeks after your period= one week after conception 

So on and so forth. This is not rocket science. You shouldn't have to be told more than once. Google it and educate yourself. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Others explained it well.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but how is this your 6th pregnancy and you don't understand the way the medical community dates pregnancy?

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options

I had no idea that I would get such mean responses on here!  I thought I would get some loving, caring and informative responses..... not be called 'daft" and be accused of "MUD" whatever that means.

The miscarriage that I had between my two sons was divine intervention because I truly believe that God knows exactly what he's doing and he had a plan for me at that time that did not include a baby.  I am not trying to say that I'm glad.... I'm just saying that I can see what God's plan is now that it's so far in the past and I am ok with it.  At the time.... I was not married and barely knew the father of that baby.  I was a very precarious time in my life.  I admit... all of that was my fault.... but definitely not a time for me to have a baby.  The other 2 miscarriages I had were with my current husband and very much tried for and wanted.  Those 2 miscarriages occured since my 2-year-old was born. 

I forgot completely about that other post.... that's why I didn't check it... and even if I had..... I would still be confused..... and I can't believe I'm the one being called dumb here.... because it's very simple.  I KNOW they "they" count your time from you LMP.... I get that...... but your LMP is NOT the day you concieved right?  WE know that..... and we all agree to just go along with the extra two weeks because that's the way it is right?  OK>>>>>  YES...... I get that..... BUT....yesterday..... the ultrasound tech measured the size of my sac etc and put me at 6.4 weeks!  Which means..... that if she is absolutely 100% right..... I conceived on my period!  But that's not possible right?  THAT'S why I'm confused.  It brought the theory to fact when it makes no sense.  If you guys can't understand what I mean then I don't know what else to say.

Since I got home from the ultrasound I HAVE been thankful.... VERY.  I am over the moon that I saw that little flicker..... make no mistake!  Especially since my last MC was a blighted ovum.  This means that we definitely don't have that issue this time :)

As far as posting on here and checking the other post responses...... like I said...... I had forgotten about that post which is why I didn't check it.  Now I'm glad I didn't because you guys are so mean.  I really can't believe how mean and persnickety people got on here..... and called me names and everything.  So.... this is my last post.... I will not be posting or reading any more responses in this thread or in "1st Trimester" anymore.  You guys are mean over here.  I will just stay in the "Pregnant after 35" area.... I guess with maturity comes tact and compassion?

Even though you guys were mean to me.... I wish you all the best.

• Options
    imageMrsGibb:
    ... the ultrasound tech measured the size of my sac etc and put me at 6.4 weeks!  Which means..... that if she is absolutely 100% right..... I conceived on my period!  But that's not possible right? 

As PP stated in the original post, the tech is basing the measurements on the same system that includes the extra two weeks.

EDD: May 29, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

No one was mean to you ... I answered your question yesterday because I wanted to help, even though I could not understand how a grown woman with two living children was so upset and confused about where her pregnancy was dated. I typed out week by week where you were and you still don't get it. You're still confused, and that's unbelievable to me. Please, do some research on pregnancy, and don't go bad-mouth people on other boards, it's just tacky. (https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/69690422.aspx)

And your comment "I guess with maturity comes tact and compassion?" is really just rude. I'm a highly educated, compassionate 36-year-old, and quite frankly your questions and lack of comprehension about where you are in your pregnancy frighten me. (As does the fact you "forgot" about your other post on the same exact topic just days before.) I had a loss at 12 weeks, and have more compassion for people than you could even imagine. But you not liking what you're told and freaking out about it really shows a lack of maturity on your part.

I'm sorry for your losses. Even the one you call "divine intervention," which I'm not sure any of us who have gone through it will understand.

• Options
    imageCleopatraBlue:
    imageMrsGibb:
    ... the ultrasound tech measured the size of my sac etc and put me at 6.4 weeks!  Which means..... that if she is absolutely 100% right..... I conceived on my period!  But that's not possible right? 

As PP stated in the original post, the tech is basing the measurements on the same system that includes the extra two weeks.

FFS, this.  At 6 weeks, virtually all sacs will measure "x."  There isn't an actual measurement called "6 weeks."  At 6 weeks gestation your baby measured just like everyone else's 6 week fetus, which is 2 free weeks plus 4 weeks of actual time to grow. 

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options

**lurking because this sh!t is hilarious**

Hahahahahahahaha

And how do you forget that you've already posted a question on a message board?

It was a rough road, but Arlo Daniel was born April 1, 2013—and our second rainbow is due October 12, 2014.
  • Options

medically according to your ultrasound your baby has been growing for 4 weeks and 4 days. The two week or so before you conceived are counted so the tech measured your baby to be 6 weeks 4 days. That means the fetus is as big as any other womens at 6 weeks 4 days.

So lets say you dont want to count the two weeks before you conceived then you are 4 weeks 4 days great.  Thats the SAME as being 6 weeks 4 days according to medical personnel and everyone else in the world. Your baby is what the consider being 6 weeks and 4 days. No you havent been pregnant and your baby hasnt been growing for that long but thats what they count anyways.

So YES you concieved 4 weeks and 4 days ago but your baby is considered to be 6 weeks and 4 days. Its just how they word things. At 4 weeks and 4 days after you conceived you got to hear the heartbeat. The baby is still 6 weeks and 4 days because of how they word it. Now if you went in 2 weeks after you concieved you would be considered 4 weeks pregnant and would not have heard the heart beat because they baby has only been growing for 2 weeks. Get it.

Im confused why this is so confusing to you.

My mom 10/8/1959-10/31/2011 image Dylan image
  • Options
    imageMrsGibb:

I forgot completely about that other post.... that's why I didn't check it... and even if I had..... I would still be confused..... and I can't believe I'm the one being called dumb here.... because it's very simple.  I KNOW they "they" count your time from you LMP.... I get that...... but your LMP is NOT the day you concieved right?  WE know that..... and we all agree to just go along with the extra two weeks because that's the way it is right?  OK>>>>>  YES...... I get that..... BUT....yesterday..... the ultrasound tech measured the size of my sac etc and put me at 6.4 weeks!  Which means..... that if she is absolutely 100% right..... I conceived on my period!  But that's not possible right?  THAT'S why I'm confused.  It brought the theory to fact when it makes no sense.  If you guys can't understand what I mean then I don't know what else to say.

You guys are mean over here.  I will just stay in the "Pregnant after 35" area.... I guess with maturity comes tact and compassion?

So you don't get that the ultrasound also includes the two weeks when you weren't pregnant? That means you conceived 4w4d ago and I would assume you weren't on your period right? 

Maybe with maturity comes tact and compassion but certainly not common sense and the ability to google. Or ask your freakin doctor if you are so confused. 

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Options

Really? You still don't get it? When you ovulate, you are 2 weeks pregnant. Forget your period for now. Ovulate=2 weeks pregnant. It doesn't need to make sense. That is how it is calculated. Gestational age and fetal age have a two week difference. Doctors use gestational age. Gestational age=2 weeks greater than fetal age.

If you are 6w4d, it means the fetal age is 4w4d. If your period was 42 days ago, you conceived 32 days ago. If the gestational sac is what they measured, I'd bet you are a few days "less pregnant" than 6w4d, probably closer to 6 weeks even.

As far as the scan, was the baby measured, or was the sac? Those are two different measurements. The sac will usually measure a bit ahead than what you actually are. For example, with DS, I was 5w4d when I had my first scan. We couldn't see much, so the gestational sac was measured. It measured 6w1d, so five days ahead. I knew exactly how far along I was. At the next scan, DS measured exactly where he should.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageskio:
    Oh, FFS.

My thoughts exactly.  

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • Options
    imageMrsGibb:

As far as posting on here and checking the other post responses...... like I said...... I had forgotten about that post which is why I didn't check it.  Now I'm glad I didn't because you guys are so mean.  

Why would you post a question and not watch for the answer??  

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • Options
    imagepanacea05:

**lurking because this sh!t is hilarious**

Hahahahahahahaha

And how do you forget that you've already posted a question on a message board?

Me too!  I do think people are sometimes mean and unfair on this website, but I can't get over this woman's inability to comprehend... 

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"